Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times

Advertisements

Hello City data folks,

I'm thinking of vacationing in Seattle soon and wanted to visit Vancouver while I was there. Are there any issues or any extra expenses with renting a car and driving to Vancouver? Do the rental car places allow this?

Also - any tips for things for me to do in Vancouver/Seattle/Portland area?

I am 29, single, male, straight, and enjoy a tasty frothy beverage every now and then. Also I like art and natural scenic sights.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Vancouver as in WA (Portland), or BC, as in CDN?

Check with your rental car company for driving out of country, some may not allow.

For Brews in Portland, (micro brew mecca) be sure to stop by Bridgeport and Widmer in Portland (+ many inde's) and in the Columbia Gorge (a must see), do Full Sail in Hood River and Walkingman in Stevenson (one of the best, not open on Mon or Tues) Walking Man Brewing - Craft brewery in Stevenson WA - Beer list. While in Stevenson (very small town), go enjoy a few minutes in the lobby of Skamania Lodge, Great place to relax before or after Walkingman (good evening sunlight with super view). Seafood buffet on Friday nights (really good, ~ $30). The food an Multnomah Falls Lodge is pretty good too, They have a decent Sunday Brunch.

For Columbia Gorge, I recommend eastbound on WA SR14, and westbound on I-84 + Scenic Highway. Full day trip with plenty of pics and hiking. Be sure to see the hatchery and gardens at Bonneville Dam (OR side). Might want to check road construction east of Stevenson and use I-84 if WA SR14 is closed @ Dog Mountain. They are clearing HUGE rock slide (too much dynamite and are currently closed 8-10AM and 2-4PM)
Columbia Gorge Wine Growers | Award winning Oregon and Washington Wine. Really nice geology from Hood River to Maryhill Art Museum (Goldendale / Biggs Jct) (best viewed from OR side, looking at WA (midday sun).) If you are into train history, Wishram, WA is the place.

In Portland, Do see the Rose garden at sunset (Washington Park) and visit Powell Books (nearby), be sure to use their 'on-site' parking garage, it too is part of the 'experience'. I spent some of today relaxing in the Portland Art Museum Library. Weds and Saturdays there is a Farmer's Market nearby and good food.

other resources-
Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest - Scenic Trails | GORP.com
Washington

If you get to the OR coast (1.2 hrs), go here hug point + oregon - Google Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area