Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 18,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpeake View Post
We have been looking all over Clark County for houses and haven't really settled on any one area. I really like the Camas mountainous area just north of the Camas schools from NE 28th St/Brunner Rd and North. (actually in the city of Vancouver but the Camas school district). But I am wondering about the paper mill (rotten egg) smell. When I was up there in Oct. of last year I smelled it as I was driving through downtown Vancouver, but have never smelled it in the 4 subsequent trips. Now I know that the paper plant's a odor reduction program imposed by the government require stage 2 compliance as of April 16th, 2006 and so it may be that they have done some drastic things in the last year. Is there anyone that lives in that area that can tell me more. How bad is the smell? Is it just certain times of the year? Has it gotten better in the last year?

Thanks,

Karol
I talked to someone at the Mill who said it wasn't the culprit. She thinks it was from the sewage processing plant near the mill.I called the SW air polution office and spoke to a man who doubted it was the sewage processing plant, but he will follow up and see if anything happened yesterday that would have affected the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Have you taken a 5 min drive down to the mill ponds and the sewer plant first?

I would do that BEFORE rattling any swords.

SWWCAA They are located clear up in Hazel Dell and are the last people I would want alarmed.

Maybe the mill got in a bunch of different feedstock, or they just turned a couple ponds.

Weather has been strange last week with some inversions, that is likely the issue. A bit tough to control the weather, but possible.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,496 times
We live on Prune Hill. Only smelled it faintly once in the last year. The air quality here is really great, especially compared to Portland where they are lower in elevation and the dirty city air pools up down there. The winds almost always blow east or west along the river, so there's rarely penetration north of the river where we live and even further north where you're looking. Non-factor. It's actually a great place for a paper mill, as it's windy there so it disperses very quick.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,473 times
The smell is caused by something called non-condensible gases, or NCGs. These are burned off in the pulping process. However, if there are too many to burn off, and there becomes a hazard of having gas built up, then they have to released into the air.

State regulations only allow for so many minutes of those a month (like, 30 nowadays). However, some companys, like Longview Fibre, release only a few minutes every month. As technology has improved, processes have improved, etc., it becomes a lot less likely that NCGs will be released.

There will still be a paper smell, which comes from the fiber, chemicals, etc. But the nasty, sulfuric, rotten-egg smell, which comes from NCGs, is usually little to none these days.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,379,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdawg2011 View Post

There will still be a paper smell, which comes from the fiber, chemicals, etc. But the nasty, sulfuric, rotten-egg smell, which comes from NCGs, is usually little to none these days.
And nothing like what it was twenty years ago. In my estimation it's a non-factor these days.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,841 times
Default Camas mill smell

The mill dose not smell all the time and it's a great place to live

Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,584,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubberbutt View Post
The mill dose not smell all the time and it's a great place to live
Given your username, there's probably a fart joke to be had in there somewhere in a thread about unpleasant smells.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:02 PM

8 posts, read 15,623 times
When we decided to move to Camas I had no idea the paper mill had a smell. We visited downtown and drove all through the town looking at houses. Since moving, I have only smelled it a couple of times while in the car when driving right by the mill when the air vent was set to bring in outside air. We do not smell it at our home (inside or outside). We live about a mile west of the mill just off HWY 14 and NW 6th Ave.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,835 times
I have lived on the Washougal Camas border for the past two years. It doesn't smell every day. The few times a month the thick pungent rotten egg/ poop/ dead animal smell rolls in, my nose dies inside just a little more. I smell it a lot more often when driving by the plant.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,023 times
I've lived in Gresham for 33 years. I still smell it every year in the winter. It's not as bad as it has been in the past. It stinks up the Troutdale FedEx at least once a month throughout the year.

Not sure what vancouver is like but I would imagine them getting it the worse with the constant east wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area