Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM

19 posts, read 31,913 times

Advertisements

We are a young married couple (27 & 31) with a 2 year old who have been looking to relocate to the Portland area. As luck would have it, it looks like my husband is getting a job located in Vancouver (close to intersection of Lewis & Clark hwy & I-5). All my research has been based on the idea that we would live in Portland, but now I am thinking Vancouver would be the better option! We also are a 1 car family and would like information on the public transportation system in Vancouver. We will need to live someplace with a 30-45min bus commute (less is better!) to his job. What areas would you suggest we look in? We are in Houston, TX and will be doing most hunting online, so we won't be able to go look in person until we are moving in basically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
No brainer for me,
I would live here, or as close as possible. (Walk to work, NICE Quiet neighborhood except on 4th of July...) Close to Public Transportation, library, city center, city activity center, new Fred Meyer 'Grand Central' (food / services).

Officers Row - History of Vancouver - All About Vancouver - City of Vancouver, Washington, USA
vancouver historic officers row - Google Search

NICE apartments for rent in restored HISTORIC homes - fun.
I did volunteer work at Fort Vancouver, it is a lovely area and quite relaxing, and certainly a good place to com home to. It might be too quiet, but... Clark College is 5 minutes away, and we do lots of 'child-development / playtime' classes there with our youngest (about 100 yrs ago...)

#2 would be the townhouses that are new and just east of Historic reserve on ~ 1900 SE Evergreen (there were some of those for rent or sale last I looked,)

#3 the apartments above retail @ Esther Short Park (Vancouver farmers Market) + Downtown transit mall

Another choice would be in Condos near 'Beaches' Beaches Restaurant and Bar
same situation (walk to work) Probably not too quiet (trains, planes, traffic), and less public transit.

Areas near Fisher's Landing (1st) , or Salmon Creek (2nd) or Van Mall (3rd choice) Transit Malls
Transit Mall http://www.c-tran.com/PassengerServi...sitCenter.html

(PM me and I will be happy to drive by or check out and area for you.... I feel that you would be better off in Vancouver than Portland, especially considering if you can get within walking distance of work. Think; time not commuting = more time together as a family. Taxes not paid to Oregon = more money towards family / vacations / retirement. (I wish I had retired when I had kids as babies, and went back to work when they left home ) Portland is adequately close to enjoy (10 minutes), and plenty far enough to avoid their politics and poor public funding and legislative procedures.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-28-2011 at 04:36 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Living in Oregon will subject you to an income tax you will not pay if you live and work in Washington.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM

19 posts, read 31,913 times
Yes we are planning on living and working in WA...do not want to make that commute! It will be nice for us to buy things like furniture in Or. because of the tax break though! I just know nothing about Vancouver in terms of where to live! Not really finding many apartments that I love : /
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area