Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 AM

4 posts, read 99,695 times

Advertisements

hi, i am moving to vancouver in a about a month, and my boyfriend and i are trying to find a place. our main problem is that we don't know what areas are nice or not. we're looking for an apartment in an area with low crime rates, ect.. we've seen plenty of listing for apartments, and we just dont know which to choose, cause we have to get a place before we get there, and there's really no way of knowing unless we can see the place first. so any ideas on good apartment complexs, or nice areas with duplexs, would be such a help. time is flying and we still feel like we're at step one....

thanks so much, any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 09:09 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,729 times
The Fishers Landing area on the east side of town is nice. There are a few large apartment complexes off of 164th Ave. There are plenty of nice houses for rent too.

The area known as The Heights is a nice established neighborhood in the center of town. Large lots, full grown trees etc. Very few apartments though, again renting a house is the way to go.

The areas to stay away from would be the Harney Heights and Central Park areas. They have a lot of crime in those areas. Also stay out of the area of Highway 99, from 78th St to 134th. There is a lot of meth and its related crime in that area. I'm talking a few blocks either side of Highway 99 specifically. West of Hazell Dell Ave and east of 25th north of 78th are nice areas.

I could go on, but instead, here's a site with reviews and ratings on the various complexes in Vancouver.
Vancouver Apartments for Rent with Ratings & Reviews by Vancouver Renters at ApartmentRatings.com

Hopefully this helps.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
If it was 'sight-unseen' for me I would look for a short lease out EAST near 164th Ave., or NORTH near Salmon Creek / WSU (if that works for your commute)

I would not do lower Vancouver / fruit valley / or east fourth plain if I could not first see the area.. There are nice spots in each of these, and no real bad spots of Vancouver, the above poster gave good advice.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:00 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,644 times
Also, another area to watch out for is Bagley Downs. Exceedingly high crime rate. Here's a page that contains a link that pops up the crime stats by neighborhood in Clark County:

Columbian.com - Crime Watch (http://www.columbian.com/news/crime/crimestatistics2006.cfm - broken link)

Once you're on this page, click the link that says: "Click here to see numbers from all neighborhoods." (This link is the second line in the box on the right.) It will then pop up a window with the stats by neighborhood. This should give you a good idea of which areas to cross off your list.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,164,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydot View Post
Also, another area to watch out for is Bagley Downs. Exceedingly high crime rate.
I've lived in the Bagley Downs area before. It's not as bad as the numbers make it out to be. I have friend who is a cop in town. He's told me that most of the crime in that neighborhood is due to the apartments along 59th St and 62nd St (between 4th plain and SR500). There are many low income apartments there and there are always calls for domestic violence, public drunkenness, loud parties etc. Most are not felonies or stranger on stranger crimes. Th number in the Columbian don't reflect a difference. That's why the numbers are so hi. As long as people stay out of those areas, things really aren't that bad.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 PM

I certainly wouldn't want to understate the crime in specific neighborhood to someone unfamiliar with the area. What's an unacceptable level to me may not be the same to anyone else.

I've lived in several areas of Clark County. I would still avoid the Bagley Downs, Esther Short, and Rose Village neighborhoods like the plague. But that's my comfort level, which certainly isn't the same as everyone else's.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:55 PM

Default thanks so much!

thanks so much for all the help. its really helping us to narrow down our search. if you guys know of any certain apartments that are great, please let me know.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftygirlie View Post
thanks so much for all the help. its really helping us to narrow down our search. if you guys know of any certain apartments that are great, please let me know.
I can make some recommendations. What's your price range?

Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 AM

well our price range is anywhere from 500 to 700. we were looking at one complex online, Sunpointe 900 SE Park Crest Ave.
Vancouver, WA 98683 any thoughts on that complex, it says its located in the community of Cascade Park, and we looked at some of the stats on crime in the area and it didnt seem to bad. but any other suggestions? or thoughts on that complex. we're looking for either 1 or 2 bedrooms.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftygirlie View Post
well our price range is anywhere from 500 to 700. we were looking at one complex online, Sunpointe 900 SE Park Crest Ave. Vancouver, WA 98683 any thoughts on that complex, it says its located in the community of Cascade Park, and we looked at some of the stats on crime in the area and it didnt seem to bad. but any other suggestions? or thoughts on that complex. we're looking for either 1 or 2 bedrooms.
Heh, I actually lived there right out of high school while I was working and going to school full time. And I know someone who currently lives there, too.

Yes, that area is a decent part of Vancouver, but that complex is a bit of a dump. The units are poorly constructed, worse so than most apartments, and you're RIGHT on top of all your neighbors. But the management is surprisingly good. They're usually right on top of it when people are being idiots, which is tough in such a huge property.

Personally, I wouldn't live there again. But I'm now 32 and married with kids. For someone single or without kids, it might be a different story.

Here are some complexes that I'd recommend you check out:

Heritage Green
The Village on Seventh
Eight Town Center

I'm fairly certain that each of those properties has units in your price range, but Google 'em and call to make sure.

If you have kids, I'd try to get into either Heritage Green or Eight Town Center. Both are within the boundaries of Fisher's Landing elementary which is one of the best in the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: