Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM

21 posts, read 44,329 times

Advertisements

Doing a lot of retirement planning and looking at the options. The no state income tax feature of Washington State is very appealing

We're an interracial couple with interests walking, reading photography, fishing, cooking and technology. We have 2 dogs (a lab and a border collie/aussie cattle dog mix). So here's some questions:

How's the racial climate for an interracial couple for California?
How dog friendly is Vancouver for renters? (We don't plan to buy)
What are the internet options (cable, FIOS, DSL, etc.)?
What are some good areas to live in in the Vancouver area and are there some to avoid?
Are rents stable? I've heard some very interesting things about property taxes in Washington. I wondered about their possible impact on rents.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,285 times
My past wife and I retired to Vancouver, Wa from California. We were a "binational couple" I'm mexican and she was "white". Regarding that issue I did not see a problem with it. (My present wife is again white and we have no issues in the world) I have observed many biracial couples and children in the Vancouver area and it does not seem to be factor. In my neighborhood we have several black / mixed families and they are all good people.
The no state tax factor was the main reason for me to move here after retiring.
Since I have not rented a house here , I don't think I could speak to that issue, but there are lots of houses for rent in the area. In my opinion though, I would just as soon own my home and do as I want, rather than to be bound to a landlord. Property taxes are reasonable enough and housing (because of the economic downturn) is readily available in many areas good and bad.
As for internet access, you have qwest, comcast (phone & cable co's which provide both services each) Dish network.
Vancouver has many great areas to live in, many are just a block over from a really poorly kept section, others are islands of wealth onto themselves (we often ask ourselves "Who Lives Here and What Do They Do!?!?) trying to point all these out in a post would be hard to do. We live in the east end just out of the city limits and are quite happy here (check Heritage Neighborhood)
I would suggest a trip, to see the area and figure out where you would love to live your retirement years out.
Good Luck!!

Last edited by lmcventura; 07-21-2011 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: missed words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area