Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM

473 posts, read 2,755,337 times

Advertisements

Dunno really. Most of anything cultural, or fun that we do occurs in Portland. Vancouver does have some great activities though. Their farmer's market is surprisingly large. There's the clark county fair coming up as well (I think this weekend), and lots of other community stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 AM

473 posts, read 2,755,337 times
Also, a lot of what there is to do in/near the vancouver area is outdoors related. Some great camping, hiking, and beautiful scenic views. Lots of waterfalls, rivers, etc.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I am a fan of the Vancouver market. It is wonderful.

Stealth you are a habitue of libraries? Interesting. I am a retired librarian. Can Multomah books and other items be returned at Clark Co library? And vice versa? Well, I guess I can find out all of that on their website.

We like walking on the trail around Lacamas lake. Very nice trail.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am a fan of the Vancouver market. It is wonderful. I will pass that along... I have a significant interest in the success of that venue too, (but I can't elaborate online...)

Stealth you are a habitue of libraries? Interesting. I am a retired librarian. ... I can't get enough of libraries, I so loved the ones of my childhood (vine covered and COOL in the summer). I was a country kid that had to come to town with mom to take band lessons, so I had to occupy myself all day while she worked, and library was 2nd home. Also a homeschooler / teacher / and descendent of 4 generations of teachers, so... while I don't watch TV... I would be lost w/o a library. ANOTHER great resource is the many Portland colleges. (Lewis and Clark has one of the BEST libraries, and also US Patent search resource, of which I have several). Private colleges; Multnomah, Concordia, Western, Corbett, George Fox, Linfield, Warner Pacific ... Have a library consortium and is VERY good (Concordia is also very close to Vancouver, and EZ to use). I spend HRs at Main Multnomah Library, Near "Real Mother Goose, another GREAT place (local art / goods) & a few blocks from Powells, We like walking on the trail around Lacamas lake. Very nice trail.
in 30 yrs I have never done LaCamas lake trail, tho everyone raves about it. I live 'practically' next door to this one. (not too shabby of a place (except in 80 mph 'Horizontal' freezing rain).
Cape Horn Loop, Columbia Gorge hiking trail description, TrailsNW.com

Waterfront trail is nice near Fort Vancouver | Education: Teacher Resources: Water Resource Center (just like a library, and a great place to host meetings / classes)

Also Washougal **** can be nice (now accessible from Pendleton parking lot - 'tunnel-to-no-where' federal funds....

Plenty of stuff to do... so little time (and getting shorter). SWA bargains in USA are keeping me away from WA, when I'm 'home' from Asia (seldom). I do love getting HS internet in remote Asia places... beats Dial-up... my only choice in WA. (For my $35/day property tax contribution...)

BTW: I travel WW via 'Guest Home Directories, ($10 - $20 / night... VERY nice, VERY safe, VERY fun, Very educational) and I am impressed how many of the hosts are retired librarians, scientists, educators (especially Profs). You can join a number of them if you are over age 40 (tho I have used a few directories for over 25 yrs) They each have a profile of host (career, interests, lodging, household ...). The music is really special, many folks love to sing and play instruments for guests.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-06-2012 at 07:41 AM..

Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM

I don't know if I would rave about the Lacamas Lake trail, but it is just about perfect in terms of terrain for bicycling or for walking seniors. It has a few ups and downs, and some eroded places that seem slightly hazardous, but mostly it is a very pretty walk. Haven't done the whole thing yet. I'm turning into a slug.

Lacamas Lake seems like fishing resort to me.

If we ever resolve our house dilemma, I'll have more time to do other things.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I don't know if I would rave about the Lacamas Lake trail, but it is just about perfect in terms of terrain for bicycling or for walking seniors. ...
If we ever resolve our house dilemma, I'll have more time to do other things.
We (C-D) are always happy to help with HOUSE dilemas. Of my ~30-40 propertiy transactions, all but 4 have been in Clark County, most in Camas / Washougal. I have used ONE realtor (but not too successfully).

I am very proficient at traversing Clark County, Camas, Vancouver, Washougal, WA State, Health Dept, Sanitation Dept, Dept of Natural Resources, Dept of Ecology, US Forest Service, Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area, SW Clean Air Board, WA state Growth Management Act, and the minor legal / titling implications for WA property transactions and building requirements. I am also VERY familiar (i.e. NOT friendly) with the Assessor's officces in a few SW WA counties. If there is ever a class action against WA assessors for illegally valuing WA residences, you will find me front and center. (I pay $40 / day in WA property taxes, UP from <$3.00 / day when I was budgeting for retirement).

Old 08-12-2012, 06:12 PM

I think we are building in the SE area.

Not my original intention, but I'm going with it. House will be smaller than I'd like, but it will be a new house in a settled area.

Our realtor is great.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,126 times
Hi, Im from Miami, Florida. Been there for 45 yrs. Moved to Vancouver 3 month ago. The first thing I noticed, the people are so nice compared to the rat race and rude ones in Miami. They try to help you even in the stores. I actually had to turn around and look behind me. I asked the sale person, are you talking to me? In Miami, they avoid you and ignore you. Not sure why but they are all angry in Miami. Traffic, wow, no horn happy drivers here. , Love the pine trees no more palm trees, Gas, cigarettes and taxes are higher. What I found strange is that theres no jobs here. Why should I have to drive to Oregon to find a job? Thats not nice. Wish they would do something about that. Such a slow pace town with so much potential. I am however, a bit concerned about the wooden power lines. That's not really the safest material for that.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaughty1 View Post
Hi, Im from Miami, Florida. ... Love the pine trees no more palm trees, Gas, cigarettes and taxes are higher. What I found strange is that theres no jobs here. Why should I have to drive to Oregon to find a job? Thats not nice. Wish they would do something about that. Such a slow pace town with so much potential. I am however, a bit concerned about the wooden power lines. That's not really the safest material for that.
pine trees those would be FIR or cedar, , very few pine.. usually the DEAD ones (non native)

There are some TERRIFIC jobs in Vancouver, but you need to be FAST and know where to apply. (What you looking for?)

Not to worry about wooden power lines at least there are plenty of replacements I don't remember seeing any Big Circuit transmission lines in Wood (like we had in Colorado) .

You'll be safe here.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaughty1 View Post
Hi, Im from Miami, Florida. Been there for 45 yrs. Moved to Vancouver 3 month ago. The first thing I noticed, the people are so nice compared to the rat race and rude ones in Miami. They try to help you even in the stores. I actually had to turn around and look behind me. I asked the sale person, are you talking to me? In Miami, they avoid you and ignore you. Not sure why but they are all angry in Miami. Traffic, wow, no horn happy drivers here. , Love the pine trees no more palm trees, Gas, cigarettes and taxes are higher. What I found strange is that theres no jobs here. Why should I have to drive to Oregon to find a job? Thats not nice. Wish they would do something about that. Such a slow pace town with so much potential. I am however, a bit concerned about the wooden power lines. That's not really the safest material for that.
I find this comment strange... Were you unaware of the economic situation in Vancouver (and Portland)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area