Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 9,291 times

Advertisements

So I know that there are different ecosystems and trees associated with the different elevations in and around Vancouver so here are a few links to some property's with pictures of the trees, can you tell me what the trees are? I am not sure what kind of trees they are but I know you have Ponderosa, Lodge Poles, Firs, and Oaks in that area so please let me know what they are if possible

Thanks

MLS # 11291706 - 0 Off Thompson Rd #2, Yacolt WA, 98675 | Homes.com

MLS # 11174737 - Yacolt WA, 98675 | Homes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 08:38 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredoftheheat View Post
So I know that there are different ecosystems and trees associated with the different elevations in and around Vancouver so here are a few links to some property's with pictures of the trees, can you tell me what the trees are? I am not sure what kind of trees they are but I know you have Ponderosa, Lodge Poles, Firs, and Oaks in that area so please let me know what they are if possible

Thanks

MLS # 11291706 - 0 Off Thompson Rd #2, Yacolt WA, 98675 | Homes.com

MLS # 11174737 - Yacolt WA, 98675 | Homes.com
It's kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but having lived not far from there for many years, I can tell you that Douglas fir and alder will be your most common woodland trees. I really don't think you're going to find much, if any, pine on the west side of the state - east side, yes.

A lot of places around there have been logged of most of the Doug fir but alder is a relatively fast growing tree (often referred to as a "weed") and are most likely those trees in the pictures with the gray bark. I do see some fir trees in the pictures, though, which is not uncommon of property that hasn't been "clear cut" of every single tree. My current property is like that - it was once logged but there are still a few fir trees (selective logging) and lots of alder and some maple.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I see no pine in those photos, tho many people (including me) have non-native pines that were imported and prolifically reproduce. BUT they are very weak and usually break at first ice storm. Bugs, have a 'hay-day' infesting pine in western climate. I have some over 60 ft, but they are 'baby' trees compared to native (we_tside) firs, cedars, hemlock. (several varieties of each).

These folks can help you out, I really enjoy their forest research station, which is fairly close by. (Stabler, WA)
http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/brochu...iver-print.pdf

For Clark County specific, get in touch with the 'forester' at CC - WSU extension service
WSU Clark County Extension

Don't miss the history of Yacolt burn (largest / fastest wildfire in WA history)
http://www.wildfirelessons.net/docum...MT_Vol65_1.pdf
The Yacolt Burn

There is not much change in forest species based on elevation. (on the we_tside) because our temps are moderate. While managing forests on our ranches in Colorado and WY we had elevation specific species (accentuated by altitude, wind, exposure, and ability of forest floor to retain moisture / snow).

Oak is fairy rare, tho certain bottom land and sheltered areas have a decent stand. Maple is more likely, as well as alder, wild cherry, and some cascara. Some properties I clear in North Clark County have cottonwood (which oozes water when you cut it, even when down for a yr). Poplar is not native, but grown for pulp. Vine maple is often found on forest floor and a very troublesome ladder fuel to remove.

Blackberries (2 varieties, & also non-native) are what fills the SW WA forests, often to 20+ ft high.

All our western wood is very soft, not too good for firewood or structural. I built a bedroom set from cherry and maple I harvested, but it presented 'drying' challenges (cracks are tough to avoid due to HIGH initial moisture, and weak structure / density.

As previously mentioned, you can get to the trees you specify (pine) by heading 1 hr east of Clark County. Also scrub oak (and accompanying rattlesnakes and ticks.)

BTW: Yacolt is one of the wettest areas in Clark County (ONE reason why land prices are lower there). The commute is horrible in my view (1/2 hr of country roads). I have several friends in that area, but they either have their own lakes / hunting. Or like to be remote (work from home or are survivalists)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-16-2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 01:48 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have some over 60 ft, but they are 'baby' trees compared to native (we_tside) firs, cedars, hemlock. (several varieties of each).

Oak is fairy rare, tho certain bottom land and sheltered areas have a decent stand. Maple is more likely, as well as alder, wild cherry, and some cascara.
I had forgotten about cedar and hemlock; I'm not sure I'm familiar with cascara.

Quote:
Blackberries (2 varieties, & also non-native) are what fills the SW WA forests, often to 20+ ft high.
One of the many reasons I have goats.

Quote:
As previously mentioned, you can get to the trees you specify (pine) by heading 1 hr east of Clark County. Also scrub oak (and accompanying rattlesnakes and ticks.)
Before I bought this place (which is on the west side), I was looking at properties in and around Goldendale and, yes, pine and scrub oak are plentiful. I imagine the scrub oak makes great firewood, although you would probably go through a lot of chains.

Of course, just south of the town is the little community of Centerville and there are NO trees there. I wanted to put an offer in on a place there but my kids hated the idea of being out there on the "prairie" with no trees.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
I am not sure what kind of trees they are but I know you have Ponderosa, Lodge Poles, Firs, and Oaks in that area so please let me know what they are if possible
Why these trees in particular?

Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 PM

Thank you for all the information it really helped. well here is the deal in my quest to find my eventual place to live I am trying to find a place that is similar to that of northern arizona where I often vacation and the landscape there consists of tall Ponderosa pines with the occasional juniper and the under story is mainly grasses with the occasional small shrub so I want to find a place that has a similar landscape that also fits my other wishes and the seattle, vancouver, portland, salem, eugene line of cities is close to want I want in almost everything and because I have never been to the forest in the pacific northwest and haven't seen most those trees in real life so I am trying to figure out what this forest looks like because there are so many different pictures of different looks but based on what I have been able to tell the douglas fir has a very similar form and height to the ponderosa pines so a douglas fir forest has the same feel and experience as a ponderosa forest, and the forests in the PNW seem to have scattered deciduous trees based on the pictures and the ground cover is more lush compared to the forests here. But some of the pictures have almost all deciduous trees, some mixed, and some almost all coniferous so I guess it just depends on where you are and what the land has been used for in the past, but I know what type of landscape I want and I just wanted to know if it existed in that area. Obviously I will visit multiple times before I do even move there but I was trying to see how prevalent my "perfect" landscape was in the Vancouver area and into the cascades. Obviously it will be greener and lush but I just want something with a similar feel and experience. Thanks

Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 PM

Similar forest to No AZ but in WA (or OR) will have to be the east side of Cascades. Moisture is just too heavy and temps too mild on the we_tside. Forests are very dense, vistas are very sparse. (cuz trees are so tall). You may feel 'confined' in we_tside forest (I do, having come from Colorado and WY where vistas and 'airy' forests are the norm (now they are also brown forests in No CO and WY due to bark beetle).

I had a high HP chainsaw that I stuck an 18" bar on in Colorado and it worked fine for 90% of cutting. I was laughed out of the forest in WA, as some of the branches at 50'+ height are over 18" dia (and 30 ft long). FWIW... I had to take down a doug fir tree last yr that was dying, it was 7' dia at the base....

there are many areas in WA, OR, ID that will be similar terrain to No AZ. Consider Spokane (a bit far from the beach). Bend / Sisters, OR will probably be the closest to Pacific Ocean (beautiful and 100% public access coastline in OR). Wenatchee would be closest to Puget Sound. (not exactly coastal, but does have good access to seafood). If you can tolerate Salmon / Steelhead, for your seafood, I would look at Hood River, OR / TroutLake, WA (the transitional climate zone "wet to dry", and 1 hr to Portland, VERY nice EZ airport, sales tax free shopping, plenty of culture...). I get all the Steelhead I can eat for $3/# from the Indians (just had some tonight). The Mid Columbia Gorge (WA and OR) really is a vibrant place to live and work. Several agencies have their act together. (CGCC.edu, The Dalles Port District, and MCEDD.org). Some places are not so quick to adapt. (Skamania County, WA). BUT proximity and variety of outdoor activities and access to city is tough to beat. We have some great business clusters (Tech, Wine, Healthcare, Arts, Food Systems (Gorge Grown Food Network - Supporting local, sustainable food in the Columbia Gorge Region)
http://www.columbiagorgewine.com/, (wine)
http://crgta.org/, (tech sector)
http://cgbrez.org/ (renewable energy)
We could use a 'landscape / sustainable architecture group, there is a lot of support and activity for such. (live here and work internationally)

Remember the income tax of OR. ~9% (taxed if earning income in OR, or living in OR and earning income elsewhere (some conditions apply). That will take a chunk out of your lifetime earnings. Job market is tough (as previously mentioned).
https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...w=1260&bih=739

This is NOT No AZ, but is nice in it's own 'PNW' way. Also some challenging weather (wind / ice storms). Compared to growing up in WY / CO, it is a piece of cake here in PNW.

If you are quick, you can nab a 1/2 price SWA deal and come visit, I just booked OUT OF PNW to go fetch some sun. (Austin, TX... $57)

Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 PM

Very NICE lodgepole type forests near:

LaPine, Wallowa, Joesph, (NE OR).

Dayton / SE WA Blue Mountains.
Moscow, ID (and points NE from there)
Missoula, MT

All are a LONG ways from the beach (and a direct airport)

Lassen NP in Northern CA is probably one of the nicest alpine regions in PNW

Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 AM

Thanks for all your help you have been most helpful, I guess I just have to go visit to know for sure if the PNW forest will work for me, it is hard to tell based on pictures. I actually spent a lot of my summers as a kid in Wyoming and Montana so I just have that type a forest embedded as my perfect landscape right now, but who knows maybe when I actually get out and explore the forest in the PNW I might even like it better. I really appreciate all your help and you have all given me a lot to think about.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
... I actually spent a lot of my summers as a kid in Wyoming and Montana so I just have that type a forest embedded as my perfect landscape right now, but who knows maybe when I actually get out and explore the forest in the PNW I might even like it better. ...
It will probably come down to job availability (as it did with me). In moving from Colorado, after several months of looking for work, I had an offer in Post Falls, ID (Spokane / preferred climate) and Vancouver, WA (preferred job tasks) the same day.

Work prevailed, family roots later 'encouraged' me to stay put in dense forest eco system. Not my preference, but at least we ate well, and job was great (while it lasted... 30+ yrs).

IF you end up in dense forest, consider the BEST advice I got from CO folks that came to PNW and hated it....(and moved back to CO)

Do not buy / rent a home sheltered back in the woods. You NEED Light, Light, Light and fresh air / sun / elevation (don't buy in a swamp in the summer, it will be a LAKE in the winter. )

Our first PNW rental had no south facing windows, nor was it in the forest, BUT it was a very cold and drafty house (yet fairly new). We were sick for a couple yrs, then got a place with big windows on a sunny south facing hill and things improved (especially health & attitude).

Best thing for career enjoyment / knowledge was moving with family and working overseas.

You don't have to buy the 'perfect spot' now, BUT it would be wise to get a Real Estate investment position in a desirable location. You can always do a 1031 exchange in the future (transfer of equity to similar investment w/o capital gains tax liability RULES apply.)

Come visit, you can get cheap rides on CL, or flights on SWA. Very EZ to use PDX as a central hub to explore PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area