Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,402 times

Advertisements

Hey guys had a few questions about Vancouver. We are moving there from Tallahassee fl. I am coming with my dad who is disabled. And I was wonder about services and clinic's for him. If anyone has advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
Is he a veteran? There's a VA hspital across the river in Portland.

Other than that, you might want to contact Clark County's social services department. Just make sure you find Clark County, WA - the top Google results are for Clark County, NV (which includes Las Vegas).

Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxilla View Post
Hey guys had a few questions about Vancouver. We are moving there from Tallahassee fl. I am coming with my dad who is disabled. And I was wonder about services and clinic's for him. If anyone has advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Aging and Disability Services Administration

I use a senior services person to assist me in deciding on Medicare part D for my mom in a different state. I also consulted with someone in MO at one point. Tax monies pay for this service. I'd use them if I could.

Also be aware that there is a whooping cough epidemic in Washington State. You might want to get your dad a pertussis booster before moving.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the help. He isnt a veteran so the VA isnt a option. He was on HUD out here until he moved in with us to get out of Florida. I will look into getting him his boosters before coming out there. He likes to go to the Senior center alot out here. I hope the one out there is ok.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxilla View Post
Thanks for the help. He isnt a veteran so the VA isnt a option. He was on HUD out here until he moved in with us to get out of Florida. I will look into getting him his boosters before coming out there. He likes to go to the Senior center alot out here. I hope the one out there is ok.
Senior Programs - Our Community - City of Vancouver, Washington, USA

You can do research yourself on the issues that are important you you. I wouldn't move cross country without spending time with google. You can find out how to obtain a WDL, and an I.D. for grandad, how to become a Washington State resident, and what I.D. you need for these things online.

I want to gently suggest that moving with a "hope" about something is not wise. Learn all you can before hand.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 AM

We are moving back to the Northwest. After being gone for about 10 years. Oregon isnt a option due to our high income. We know our way around out there its just having my dad along is new. I have been doing research on my own. I was just asking for advice from people that are there as well. Trust me I would never jump into a big move like this blind. Thanks for the concern.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM

I'm moving there myself, after a lifetime in another city. To be frank Vancouver is not my first choice. I'd rather live in Portland, but we can probably afford Vancouver better. We love the area, and we have grands there. No family left here, and we are retired. So we are moving. We've visited the area every year for a decade. I think we are fairly well prepared. But I am mentally preparing myself for big change.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:02 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Silibran unless you are high income the tax bite for retirees (65+) isn't that bad. Download Oregon's tax return and give it a spin. Homes are less expensive in Vancouver but keep in mind that if you will be driving regularly in and around Portland that savings could be consumed by gasoline.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Silibran unless you are high income the tax bite for retirees (65+) isn't that bad. Download Oregon's tax return and give it a spin. Homes are less expensive in Vancouver but keep in mind that if you will be driving regularly in and around Portland that savings could be consumed by gasoline.
DH is convinced that it is cheaper to live in Vancouver. The thing is, we need a single level house, and they are thin on the ground in Vancouver. I am checking Zillow every day, and I don't see many single levels coming on the market, and when they do, they go within a week or two.

I also look in Gresham and Milwaukee. We intend on looking where ever there is a house for us, but we are contrained by the low price we are getting for our present house.

But when my darling DIL sends me pics of my smiling baby grand, I can hardly wait to be there all the time. Also, for my DGS. Oh, and my sons too.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I have seen quite a few single level homes for sale in Vancouver area.

You might look at Washougal, as their senior program is VERY well attended. (they could use a nice center, which I here is in the works)

Washougal Center - Loaves & Fishes Centers (daily meal and activities)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area