U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,848 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I recently moved up from San Diego to Portland and I am thoroughly blown away at how little house you get for your dollar in Portland vs Vancouver. My job is located in Lake Oswego right off of I5 and I would like to relocate my family to Vancouver however I have been watching traffic maps for the past few weeks and traffic from about 2:30pm to 7:00pm on I5 or 84/205 looks like hell.

What are your thoughts on this commute? Does the city plan on doing anything any time soon to help remedy the situation? Is there an alternate route to avoid the traffic on either I5 or 84?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
31,849 posts, read 52,413,026 times
Your route is not conducive to regular 'dayshift' commute from Vancouver > LO. Get an evening / nightshift position, or probably better to be living near work (if you value time with family).

No near term fixes for this route. I would look to Eastmoreland / Dunaway school for a nice SE pdx community. Lake O is out of most budgets. There are probably some nice areas closeby. (I am traffic averse, so would even try to get within biking / walking distance if possible.) Might need to really dig to find this, but most of the area has pockets of lower cost housing (older homes interspursed with newer)

Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 AM

6,466 posts, read 12,933,577 times
SR didn't mention the fact that you'll still get taxed in Oregon too, even though you don't live here.

The Columbia River Crossing is looking more and more unlikely every month, but if it does some how miraculously get built except two-three years of even worse traffic on I-5.

You can also look in Tigard and North Wilsonville area. Not the best areas, but they're newer suburbs with a lot of large "cheap" houses, and a short commute.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM

5,607 posts, read 24,000,479 times
My neighbors moved to Vancouver for the housing and schools even though employment was in Oregon. After five years of commuting they have decided there was no schedule for them to make it acceptable and just sold their house (at a low-ball price bad for them and the neighborhood) to move south. They feel they are sacrificing their desired environment but the commute is so bad they have to do it to stay sane.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:21 PM

471 posts, read 2,666,785 times
I dunno, I take the 177 Express everyday (164, does the vancouver to downtown portland route too). There are three buses that leave to and from Portland every day. One at 6:00, 6:30, and 7:15, and comes back up from portland 3:50, 4:35, and 5:20. That's if you work in/around the DT area.

I start work at 7:00ish so I get on the bus at 6:30, and am on the bus again by 4:30. The commute can be long, but since you're not driving, it's not that big of a deal. I use it to relax/wind down/read/sleep, before I deal w/ the madness of home.

Plenty of people do it every day.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:02 PM

5,135 posts, read 8,199,457 times
It may be a little more tolerable, even though it's not saying that much, if you live in East Vancouver and take 205 instead. You can get off at Exit 3, then go to L.O.
However, like others have said, if you're doing this between 630a and 930a on I 5 or 700a and 900a on 205 everyday, that will eventually almost send you to the looney bin. If it's raining, it can take 1 hour and 45 minutes, to go about 15 miles.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 AM

The bus is the best option for my friends that commute. But not sure of 'express route' to LO.

And yes, good to remember the OR income tax. It is more painful when thinking about it during daily commute.

205 is a much better option, BUT LO is not too reasonable to reach via 205.

In any event, having done all kinds of shifts / commutes... I will ONLY do an evening shift if I need to be in high traffic zone. STILL the cost / time of commuting is time away from family, higher risk of accident / disability / more stress, not the best situation for a family. Better to be happy and HOME.

YMMV

Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,256,134 times
A few years ago, I commuted to NW Portland from Vancouver. It was 17 miles one way and took me 35 minutes to get to work. If I was lucky, it only took and hour and 15 minutes to get home; this was working from 7:00-4:00.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 AM

471 posts, read 2,666,785 times
that's why I prefer the bus. It can be in the carpool lane, and I don't have to deal w/ the stress of driving. I can fall asleep and when I wake up...TAH DAH! I'm almost home.

I'm usually home from Downtown to the Evergreen Park and ride in 50min in the afternoon. On Fridays a whole hour maybe.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
that's why I prefer the bus. ....
OK, Great (I fully agree)... let the OP know about bus options to LO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area