Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 30,957 times

Advertisements

May be relocating to Vancouver due to hubby's job; a plastics (blown film) plant closing and that is the only one available (in Vancouver).
I am asthmatic. In humid air and high pollen areas (like where I lived in Illinois) I do have problems. Not the usual spring flowers blooming but heavy pollen counts like farm country etc).
I hear the usual "it rains a lot in Washington" so I am worried about humidity levels. I am hoping pollen levels are not an issue. Some have told me it is not humid air. That the area's air is like in the mountains but it just rains more.
I grew up in California never had breathing problems until I got to Illinois in the mid 1980s. Moved to Nevada in 2002 and have had no problems at all and even am off asthma meds. So, as long as I am not in a very humid/high pollen area I am ok.
Can some of you tell me what you think? anyone been in my situation and if so how is your breathing?

Last edited by imzadi143; 10-18-2007 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: to subscribe to thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:24 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
You will find relatively low pollen and humidity in Vancouver. Look at Pollen.com - Your Local Pollen Reports and Allergy Forecasts including the only 4 Day Allergy Alert Forecast. If you suffer from allergies, get the 4 Day Allergy Forecast. for a reference regarding pollen. The weather service will show you dew points (a better guide than relative humidity) and you will find much of the time it can be just as comfortable as California.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:28 PM

thanks so much...I am feeling a bit relieved. This is really scary for me.
Will check out the link.
Imzadi

Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Believe it or not Portland Oregon is the #1 spot in the country for asthma sufferers. So Im guessing it's the same in Seattle. If your in between them I would think your golden!!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:49 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,333 times
41Willys, do you mean that Portland is the best place or worst place for people who have asthma? When you say it's #1 does that mean that more asthma sufferers live there than anywhere else, or it's the best place to go if you have asthma?

I am looking for a place to live where I can get some relief from my allergies/asthma as well and have been considering Portland/Vancouver.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:24 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Sorry, it's the "BEST" place to live if you suffer from asthma. I know it's hard to believe with all the moist air. You would think it's full of mold.

I was there 2 year's ago in the summer. (June) I was going for a hike in the wood's and "everything" was full of moss & mold, the tree's, the tree bark, branches and such. But you couldn't smell it!! There was NO smell, totally neutral. I was there for a week and did notice a difference in breathing. I have asthma also.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:00 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
I'm new to the area and something was blooming
in June that had me flooding my eyes with drops.
It lasted only for a couple of weeks and thats
been it. I resisted the antihistamines in hope
of letting my body get used to it and adjusting naturally.
I believe the rain helps to keep the various spores out of the air.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 47,815 times
Hello,

I have lived in Vancouver ever since I can remember. My own grandfather is moving to Washington from Colorado, because his doctor told him he needed to get to sea level for his breathing problems. He is now looking to move to Vancouver shortly. I know of a few people that have a little trouble with pollen but it is minimal. Moderator cut: soliciting deleted There are many factors to consider when buying a home like schools, traffic and overall areas. I wish you all the best in search. Take care and have a great day.

Moderator cut: links and solicitations deleted

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-20-2007 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: please read T.O.S. for rules and benefits to real estate agents. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
If you do move to Vancouver expect your asthma to probably be about the same. It will probably improve for the first couple of years, most asthma sufferers improve for a while when moving to a new climate.
The pollen levels drop down to extremely low levels by the end of October and stay their until March. My guess is that you wont have problems until late May when grasses and weeds finally start too bloom. Look for problems breathing until about mid-July when things dry up. After that you might be OK until September when it starts too rain again. Most Asthma sufferers have trouble in the fall. Finally when things get cold thing will return to normal. Dust mites are a problem in the NW and if you are allergic to dust mites and molds you will need to put a couple of de-humidifiers in your house. Not really a big deal. Allergy shots are more effective than many people realize if you are really suffering.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:37 PM

Thanks. I am not worried abt normal pollens in flowers/grasses etc. I do not have allergies. Only affected by a huge count like from corn cultivation in farm country where the skies are full of stuff kicked up by combines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area