Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 PM

307 posts, read 560,201 times

Advertisements

I would like to learn more about Vancouver, WA area as a possible retirement place for us. We live in Blaine, WA now..the last town on I-5 before you enter Canada. Not a bad place...but the long, dreary, rainy season is gradually getting to us now. The summers are too short for us. Would like to have a little more sunny days than we're getting in Blaine. So weather is an important consideration. I'm sure I can find out averages in the Vancouver area...but it's best to hear form folks who actually experienced the weather patterns over a few years. And the additional cost of even just going to doctor appointments, shopping, airport (we have to travel some 20 miles to Bellingham for most of everything we need). With the high price of fuel these days...it is a significant factor to consider for a recent retiree on fixed pension.
What we're looking for in a place to live...is peace & quiet in a friendly and caring neighborhood. In a suburb or small town in the outskirts of Vancouver. Not too far from a major airport hub (PDX comes to mind), adequate public transportation (we have a reliable car but nice to have good public trans as a backup), not far from fun places to go (we love Portland), abundance and variety of places to shop (again, Portland comes to mind)...and for me, as a veteran, a VA medical facility not too far away...and I know there is a large VA medical center in Portland. And with two major interstate highways going across Vancouver...it makes it ideal as a fast getaway route to anywhere. By the way, we own a house in Blaine now...but we were thinking seriously of selling it....and just rent for a while. Of course, once I have all the important information about Vancouver I will take a drive there to check out places in the area. Appreciate it. We realize that the quality of life one can afford depends entirely on what one earns for a living. Would a take home income of $4,000/month for two, in the Vancouver area be adequate? I don't really want to get a job...but can...if it becomes necessary.
We would like to hear from anyone currently residing in the Vancouver area...and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Plenty of rain in Vancouver, some areas less volume.

There is a bus from Vancouver VA to VA in Portland a few times / day

PDX is an excellent airport to be close to.

East to White Salmon / Hood River is where climate gets better (1 hr to Portland).

I like living in the Columbia Gorge, BUT weather can be a bear, and rain amount is more (100" vs 47 in Vancouver), but also a few more clear days (due to wind). I grew up in WY / CO, so wind is Mild at 50 mph. I can be to PDX in 20 minutes and to Downtown in 30min, I spend lots of time in Portland due to classical music and college events. (and free entertainment in parks).

You might consider switching to Diesel power and brew your own fuel from waste cooking oil, if you need to drive a lot. My sis uses a Grease Car kit, and has not bought fuel for yrs.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Plenty of rain in Vancouver, some areas less volume.

There is a bus from Vancouver VA to VA in Portland a few times / day

PDX is an excellent airport to be close to.

East to White Salmon / Hood River is where climate gets better (1 hr to Portland).

I like living in the Columbia Gorge, BUT weather can be a bear, and rain amount is more (100" vs 47 in Vancouver), but also a few more clear days (due to wind). I grew up in WY / CO, so wind is Mild at 50 mph. I can be to PDX in 20 minutes and to Downtown in 30min, I spend lots of time in Portland due to classical music and college events. (and free entertainment in parks).

You might consider switching to Diesel power and brew your own fuel from waste cooking oil, if you need to drive a lot. My sis uses a Grease Car kit, and has not bought fuel for yrs.

Thanks, StealthRabbit. 47" in Vancouver is a lot better than where we're at. The bad thing in addition to all the rain and overcast we get here...is there is not much else to do! Some say.."but you're so close to the beach!" (2 mins by car)...then I reply: "What beach? You mean the mudflats?" I am not too concerned about driving my car and burning fuel...I'm retired so I don't drive my car that much. At best 40 miles every 2 - 3 weeks. There's always good public trans in the Vancouver/Portland area. Our nearest bus stop here where we live is half a mile away. Bus comes around....I think, once every hour. Not sure even, only seen it a couple times the past year. Yes, that's what I like about the Vancouver/Portland area...lots of events going on. I'll keep monitoring weather in the Vancouver area; I still think it is a lot nicer than where we are now. My wife's biggest peeve is HOT weather. I mean, 85 plus. We lived in Hermiston, OR before...as well as in the desert of Arizona...it gets HOT in those places. As long as it doesn't get too hot, it will be ok for us. We can deal with the cold. My last job was in Bavaria, Germany. There it snows.. piles of it! So much that you'd have to shovel your driveway and sidewalk several times a day...everyday, the entire 4-month long winter! It's the constant raining here in the far northwest....sometimes several weeks in a row, nonstop, that we can't deal with much longer. Does it get that way in the Vancouver area?
So would $4,000 take home pension be adequate in the Vancouver area? Of course, we know it will depend on other factors...spending habits, debts, etc. We practically have no debts except our mortgage and utilities...and of course, food. We don't smoke, don't drink alcoholic stuff, don't gamble. We don't have extravagant habits..but do go out occasionally for entertainment, good restaurant. Not much for entertainment over here...'cause there's not much entertainment to speak of.

Last edited by FCStraight; 03-14-2013 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo

Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
... It's the constant raining here in the far northwest....sometimes several weeks in a row, nonstop, that we can't deal with much longer. Does it get that way in the Vancouver area?
So would $4,000 take home pension be adequate in the Vancouver area? ...We don't have extravagant habits..but do go out occasionally for entertainment, good restaurant. ....
rains a lot in Vancouver (Check the stats and compare cloudy days) It is over 85F for ~ 10days in summer *I go to beach 1.2 hrs

$4k should be fine and fairly ez to get by with. We eat & entertain on $100/mo. Food can be had reasonable, and great gardening. There are several areas you can be close to transit centers (Fisher Landing, Van Mall, Salmon Creek, City Center.) If I were to be an urban dweller and enjoy Vancouver, I would live within walking distance to Ft Vancouver, VA, Central Market (Fred Meyer) and City Center Transit and Library. Basically that is adjacent and directly east of Ft Vancouver / Officers row. Or leasing on Ft Vancouver Grounds. (You can buy a duplex nearby & rent it all out to recover your rents required for Officer's Row, while keeping a stable investment in RE.) there are some nice row houses on East Evergreen near here.

Only way out of rain w/ VA in WA is Spokane AFAIK, but it is GRAY all winter there and a bit of snow (occasionally more than a bit). Colorado Springs would be another choice, as is Mountain Home / Boise and Sheridan, WY and Sturgis, SD. Probably many more. I'm currently in Kerrville, TX which also has VA (and PLENTY of sun + HEAT in summer.) I will be long gone from TX in Summer. In Portland area to enjoy my favorite Venue... Chamber Music Northwest, then to Colorado for Sculpture in the Park (already have my $85 air ticket). NE USA for early fall (via $10 guest homes), then late fall in PNW and then back to TX. Spring is usually in SW USA enjoying the desert Flowers and UT National Parks. From PDX, I fly frequently to San Diego, Sacramento, SF, Colorado, and AZ for sun breaks. Someday I will stay put If I had to choose today, that choice would be in Vancouver area and I would add some grow lights!!! I have huge south facing windows so that helps a BUNCH. DO NOT live in the shade / or with north facing windows. Very unhealthy in PNW We_t Side.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
rains a lot in Vancouver (Check the stats and compare cloudy days) It is over 85F for ~ 10days in summer *I go to beach 1.2 hrs

$4k should be fine and fairly ez to get by with. We eat & entertain on $100/mo. Food can be had reasonable, and great gardening. There are several areas you can be close to transit centers (Fisher Landing, Van Mall, Salmon Creek, City Center.) If I were to be an urban dweller and enjoy Vancouver, I would live within walking distance to Ft Vancouver, VA, Central Market (Fred Meyer) and City Center Transit and Library. Basically that is adjacent and directly east of Ft Vancouver / Officers row. Or leasing on Ft Vancouver Grounds. (You can buy a duplex nearby & rent it all out to recover your rents required for Officer's Row, while keeping a stable investment in RE.) there are some nice row houses on East Evergreen near here.

Only way out of rain w/ VA in WA is Spokane AFAIK, but it is GRAY all winter there and a bit of snow (occasionally more than a bit). Colorado Springs would be another choice, as is Mountain Home / Boise and Sheridan, WY and Sturgis, SD. Probably many more. I'm currently in Kerrville, TX which also has VA (and PLENTY of sun + HEAT in summer.) I will be long gone from TX in Summer. In Portland area to enjoy my favorite Venue... Chamber Music Northwest, then to Colorado for Sculpture in the Park (already have my $85 air ticket). NE USA for early fall (via $10 guest homes), then late fall in PNW and then back to TX. Spring is usually in SW USA enjoying the desert Flowers and UT National Parks. From PDX, I fly frequently to San Diego, Sacramento, SF, Colorado, and AZ for sun breaks. Someday I will stay put If I had to choose today, that choice would be in Vancouver area and I would add some grow lights!!! I have huge south facing windows so that helps a BUNCH. DO NOT live in the shade / or with north facing windows. Very unhealthy in PNW We_t Side.

Good luck.
Thanks again. That's the advantage of being near an airport hub...easy to fly to anywhere. We have our kids & grandkids scattered from TN to So. CA. but from our location costs extra bunch in $ and time just to get to Bellingham airport first then SEATAC to connect to our destination's flt. Connections are not always connecting properly. I like to garden so I'll make sure we live in a place with big windows on proper side to maximize the sun. Definitely not in shady area...that's where we are now. We have (and neighbor's as well) too many tall trees that block the sunshine we badly need. Will wait for a few days of non-raining days to drive there. Someone I met on the plane ones going to PDX from Blaine...told me it takes about 5 hours to drive to Vancouver-Portland area. I-5 straight down...all the way. Makes it easy.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
We moved here in retirement this past year. We live on the east side of Vancouver, close to the boundary with Camas.

We haven't done public transit, although we'd like to. We like visiting Powell's for one thing, and parking there is a real hassle. But we drive to Portland frequently because we have grands there. It is an easy drive down I 205. I understand from another family member who visits that we are 15 minutes away from PDX. So I think living at least relatively near I 205 is good for commuting to the city.

It is hard to answer your concerns about climate. Van's is different from what we have experienced our entire lives in the midwest. What I notice is that it feels colder than it really is in December and January, and milder than I am used to since mid February. I am not sure if this is typical, but we have had several days of sunshine, and quite a few days that seem warmer than I expect. Forsythia is in bloom here, and lots of other stuff as well. I think we are having a drier than normal spring. (Not sure about this.) For me the early awakening of plants makes up for the dreary days we have until June or July.

At least so far.

It is easy enough to imagine that you would do a lot of shopping in Portland, but I think that is a hassle. And Van has below par shopping, I think. The mall is unexceptional. On the east side there is a Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Kohls, Michaels, Ulta, Dress Barn, Home Depot, Penney, Lowes, Costco. There are other retailers north, near the mall. But there is no Pottery Barn, no Chicos, no Talbots, no T.J. Maxx or Marshalls (except near the Mall), Home Goods, Best Buy or Penzeys Spices. So Van feels suburban but doesn't have the shopping many suburbs have.

On the plus side, it is easy to get around in by car. It is easy to go to the coast, or to the mountains. There seem to be lots of seniors here, if I can judge by who I see out walking in my subdivision. You are aware there is no income tax, and we found out, no personal property tax either. RE taxes are about what we are used to, or possibly a trifle more. Sales tax is about 9%--about what we were used to. Property and car insurance came in lower. There is abundant and wonderful produce available here.

In other words this place has its pluses and minuses, just like other places.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We moved here in retirement this past year. We live on the east side of Vancouver, close to the boundary with Camas.

We haven't done public transit, although we'd like to. We like visiting Powell's for one thing, and parking there is a real hassle. But we drive to Portland frequently because we have grands there. It is an easy drive down I 205. I understand from another family member who visits that we are 15 minutes away from PDX. So I think living at least relatively near I 205 is good for commuting to the city.

It is hard to answer your concerns about climate. Van's is different from what we have experienced our entire lives in the midwest. What I notice is that it feels colder than it really is in December and January, and milder than I am used to since mid February. I am not sure if this is typical, but we have had several days of sunshine, and quite a few days that seem warmer than I expect. Forsythia is in bloom here, and lots of other stuff as well. I think we are having a drier than normal spring. (Not sure about this.) For me the early awakening of plants makes up for the dreary days we have until June or July.

At least so far.

It is easy enough to imagine that you would do a lot of shopping in Portland, but I think that is a hassle. And Van has below par shopping, I think. The mall is unexceptional. On the east side there is a Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, Kohls, Michaels, Ulta, Dress Barn, Home Depot, Penney, Lowes, Costco. There are other retailers north, near the mall. But there is no Pottery Barn, no Chicos, no Talbots, no T.J. Maxx or Marshalls (except near the Mall), Home Goods, Best Buy or Penzeys Spices. So Van feels suburban but doesn't have the shopping many suburbs have.

On the plus side, it is easy to get around in by car. It is easy to go to the coast, or to the mountains. There seem to be lots of seniors here, if I can judge by who I see out walking in my subdivision. You are aware there is no income tax, and we found out, no personal property tax either. RE taxes are about what we are used to, or possibly a trifle more. Sales tax is about 9%--about what we were used to. Property and car insurance came in lower. There is abundant and wonderful produce available here.

In other words this place has its pluses and minuses, just like other places.
Thanks again. That's pretty comprehensive. It is unlikely one will find even a near perfect place to live. As you pointed out, plus and minuses can be expected at any place. It's simply a matter of identifying the top 3 or 4 "must have" items, then the rest can be there or not there...and still be ok. You can analyze, evaluate, speculate all you want...but bottom line is, it's where you would be most comfortable that counts...and can comfortably afford and still have enough to put aside for emergencies. I know many other places with lower cost of living...but the quality life is horrible. We're not really into shopping...except for food items we need (we don't like canned & processed foods); everything we eat is prepared from fresh ingredients so we shop a lot at farmers' markets and produce stands in the farms near where we live.
But big malls are fun...just to stroll around, see the sights. Entertaining and you get some exercise walking everywhere. The good thing there (Van & surroundings), even if weather is miserable you can at least go many places. Where we are...there's not much to see...after you've seen them a few times. Best is for me to just spend a week in Vancouver. I found a nice hotel right off I-5 where it meets Columbia Way...near Fort Vancouver. $53/night with AAA. I think that's a decent price for a hotel....and centrally located.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
Thanks again. That's pretty comprehensive. It is unlikely one will find even a near perfect place to live. As you pointed out, plus and minuses can be expected at any place. ... Best is for me to just spend a week in Vancouver. I found a nice hotel right off I-5 where it meets Columbia Way...near Fort Vancouver. $53/night with AAA. I think that's a decent price for a hotel....and centrally located.
Come on down, I do that drive frequently (had a kid at WWU, coworkers in Blaine, Friends in Richmond, Lived on Thetis Island, Get performance parts in Surrey, Get IceCream in Lynden, Ski at Baker and Whistler...)

The Hilton suites next to Beaches (Columbia Way and SR 14) is decent, And I have stayed at Shilo near Black Angus / Academy / Library. (These are close to the area I recommended for you to live) Other econ Hotels are at Mill Plain and Chaklov (I-205) There are a couple pretty nice ones there.

Consider joining a Guest Home Directory such as Evergreen travel or Affordable travel club. $10/ night worldwide and you get to to stay with locals who have all the GREAT ideas (and usually GREAT food). There are plenty of hosts in Vancouver area. I've been doing it for 25+ yrs.

Do plan to take the drive east on SR 14 to Stevenson (good eats & Brewery (and the BEST county Fair in W WA, FREE), then west over Bridge-of-the-Gods to Portland on I -84 (Take Scenic Highway from Multnomah Falls to Troutdale. Eat At Multnomah Falls Lodge (Excellent not too pricey (I do Breakfast or lunch, dinner (supper) is too fancy for me... I'm a farm kid, no fancy frilly stuff, BUT it is excellent for a special occasion).
This trip is 40 minutes each way and Immense Beauty and let you know what you are getting into!

As a vet you will want to stay in WA JUST IN CASE you ever need: Veterans Home in Retsil, WA near Port Orchard, WA Long Term Nursing, Short Term Rehabilitative Care, Medicare A

I have many friends there, and even know some folks who met working there pre WWII and were married, then later in life came back for 'retirement'. I cannot say enough good about this place, as they cared for my family very well (for 13 yrs). Absolutely the BEST thing in WA. Nice view too!!! Bus every hour to get you access to Bremerton and Seattle ferries. ON site PX, Medical, Cafes, Pharmacy. PRIVATE apartments... Lots to do, great food! Nice Parties!!

Good luck, see you soon (I would come the week before Mother's Day, and enjoy the Rhodie Gardens in Portland. Crystal Springs, next to Reed College. Go to The Joinery (on Woodstock) while you are nearby (Hand crafted Furniture) Go upstairs, they have 'viewing areas' of their workshop. VERY impressive. (and free).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-15-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 10:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Yes come on down. Be sure to visit the Vancouver Farmers' Market on Saturday or Sunday. I didn't get there today, but I hope to get there next Saturday.

The problem with shopping, and the lack thereof, is that when you need something you can't always find it.

I visited the eye doctor today, and the office was great, the doc was professional and had the latest gear. I'm going back for sunglasses in a couple of weeks.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM

23 posts, read 144,660 times
Is the Hough Neighborhood replete with that nagging presence of property crime and vandalism? It must be as I read the neighborhood blog more than a few residents are complaining of vandalism (graffiti), car break ins, and yard/storage heists. Is it throughout Vantucky or is it just near downtown where all of the low lifes and street hustlers roam? Would one find the problem in the Father Blanchet Park area? What about Fishers Landing East?

I had considered moving up to the Couve and buying in the Hough but I am considering Camas as I read more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area