Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,845 times

Advertisements

I have been a lurker here since 2007, have been drawn to the area for a number of reasons. I am from very expensive, congested area of California. I was born and partially raised in Michigan and can't stand the lack of community or simply caring for anyone other than themselves type of environment.
My sister and brother in-law moved to Camas four years ago from cali and have settled in and love it. The beauty, mostly friendly people, clean air and seeing things they haven't seen a thousand times. My wife and I are looking at property in the Camas area, we have visited the area four times over the last couple of years spending multiple days each time at various times of the year. The weather has ranged from hail to 88 degree days, it changes by the hour it seems. The people are far more friendly, things like the cleaner roads, people driving the speed limit, kids playing outside on the street, a stranger holding open a door is amazing to me
What I am wondering is, are there a large number of transplants from California or from any part of the country that feels after having spent time in the PNW that they made a mistake? If they could go back in time and make different choice would they, and if so what are the reasons why things haven't worked out. This is a huge decision that we are about to make and having read so many threads from so many exceptional posters I believe we will get your best and honest help. Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 AM

141 posts, read 504,905 times
I'm the opposite of a transplant - I don't know if this will be helpful but here's the perspective of someone who moved AWAY from Camas (raised in Vancouver, 5 years living in Camas). We moved away two years ago to escape the cold and dreariness. I had a hard time with SAD and couldn't stand the weather any longer. So here I am in sunny Florida - no complaints about the weather, but I really miss the quality of life in WA. Drivers are incredibly rude and dangerous here, people aren't as friendly in general, and people are very transient (snowbirds and lots of people moving in and out). Plus my whole extended family is in WA so that's tough. Because of all this we are actually thinking of moving back.

Of course there is no perfect place, but Camas is a very nice place to live. Definitely a community feel I.n my opinion the only thing you might regret is the weather. It IS very dreary, though the summers (July through September) are gorgeous and long enough to make you forget the weather the rest of the year. Until the rains start again . Everything's a toss-up but if you can handle the weather it's great.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Depends on the situation / person.

Many of our company transferee's from Colorado and CA had to return.

Usually do to family / schools / weather.

Advice from them that served me well.

DO NOT buy a home nestled in the trees... Full southern exposure to what little sun / daylight as possible (For those needing such)

Get some indoor hobbies.
Take lots of 'Sun Breaks'.
Keep relationship healthy at home and with long-term friends.
Engage in Volunteering.
Be prepared to do EVERYTHING in the rain.

If PNW was not home... it may never BE HOME... deal with it (For some it can be, for others NO)

I'm a prairie / farm kid so 30+ yrs in PNW has been VERY tough (climate, social, political) But there are some redeeming features. I have come to the realization I will never be at HOME again. (that's OK, there are worse fates). But I will not be in PNW either (except for short periods). Need to go overseas for affordable healthcare.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:51 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,904,544 times
After about seven years here (from all over but primarily Texas) I have not found a place I would rather be. We love the weather, the scenery, the services available, the reasonable traffic, acceptable taxation, and relatively sane politics. No where is perfect but this area is a great compromise for us.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,488,784 times
We love here too and have lived all over the US and Canada. I do have two friends that don't like Camas, they are both from the northeast US. Their complaints are mostly about Camas being a small unsophisticated town where things move slowly and of course the rain. I think the pace is slower here and perhaps we don't have the best shopping options.

Having lived in the NE...they can have it

In all seriousness though, it's a wonderful place to live, there aren't many small communities like Camas anymore where it does feel like you live in a small town without any big city issues and yet the big city is down the road if you feel you need it.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,859,427 times
The only way to know if YOU are going to make a future mistake is to allow yourself the opportunity.

Life could be 10X better or 10X worse, or somewhere in between. You won't know if you won't try.

I grew up in Southern California, and getting out of there was the best thing I could have ever done FOR MYSELF. I shudder to think at the unfulfilled loser I'd be if I had never left.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
We transplanted ourselves from the St. Louis area last year because we have adult children in the area. We have not regretted it once. I never considered StL to be unfriendly, but I have to say that the openness of Van residents everywhere is remarkable to me. Drivers are polite and mostly non-aggressive and the setting is marvelous.

Shopping isn't great. The city itself, and for me this includes Camas, is not pretty. The town has grown up sort of helter skelter, it seems to me. But overall, the town is good. We are happy living here.

We have tolerated the weather pretty well so far. I'd rather it be cool here in June as the way it is at home--90+ degrees with high humidity. So far I've been impressed with the doctors' practices we've encountered.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,845 times
Thank all you very much for spending time here sharing your thoughts and opinions. Someone told me once that when you are faced with a difficult decision to base that choice on the BEST information available to you, listen to your heart and move forward. Having read so much positive information about the PEOPLE that make up this area, I feel that this is the most important aspect to my base my decision off of. I will be raising my children there so having good schools and good people available to them is ideal. To me the most important thing you have in a home is that your neighborhood is an extension of your family, your kids grow and play there, if you need a hand someone will help, you have the opportunity to help your neighbor. The weather should not be the most important aspect of where you choose to live your life, it should be the community you help to build. Thanks again!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstevis View Post
...the PEOPLE that make up this area, I feel that this is the most important aspect to my base my decision off of. I will be raising my children there so having good schools and good people available to them is ideal. To me the most important thing you have in a home is that your neighborhood is an extension of your family, your kids grow and play there, if you need a hand someone will help, you have the opportunity to help your neighbor.

The weather should not be the most important aspect of where you choose to live your life, it should be the community you help to build. Thanks again!
Be advised... change is not ez or predictable. (there are no absolute guaranty's). Be flexible, accepting of others, and willing to 'tweak' your plan. (might need a different neighborhood, or even a completely different region).

Weather CAN be a very important factor. (I have had friends who split up over the weather / move / stress (probably more than just weather,,), BUT IF health becomes and issue for family... (physical or emotional) SADS - Home You need to be proactive to the need, and willing to reverse / change your path. BE Sure to find activities / friends / hobbies for the person stuck at home with kids. LONG rainy winters can drive many types of outdoor centric people 'Postal' or at least to a crisis point. Camas has a GREAT Kid's-INDOOR-Play-Park co-op.

There is a steady stream of rental trucks heading south from PNW in Feb, March and April. Sounthbound Trucks cost almost DOUBLE in late winter.

I moved 3 families south this last yr who had finally just had enough of COLD, dark, wet winters (all had been in PNW for 10+ yrs and were very miserable). 70% of our company transferee's from Colorado to a PNW location return to Colorado in 2-3 yrs. CA is similar, but less ~ 50%. USUALLY they don't return to CA for reasons you mentioned, but instead go to Colorado, ID, or UT. (sunny winters, decent schools).

It can be possible to be well adjusted and happy as a transplant family in PNW, but it is not a slam dunk for all. Kids REALLY help to establish more friends for parents. (many activities)

Old 06-15-2013, 02:03 PM

3,843 posts, read 4,508,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
[b]

Weather CAN be a very important factor. (I have had friends who split up over the weather / move / stress (probably more than just weather,,), BUT IF health becomes and issue for family... (physical or emotional) SADS - Home
Just a heads up your link took me to a site that deals with
"Sudden arrhythmia death syndromes".

Ironically, I have a condition that falls into that category. ( Wolff-Parkinson-White)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area