Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 11:41 PM

56 posts, read 117,234 times

Advertisements

Our family just moved here and need local advice on some areas and how to acclimate to Vancouver. Does anyone know of magaines that can help us navigate through the area. We chose to live in Vancouver after exhausting search for affordable bungalow in the Hawthrone area and finding that 2500+ was just way to much rent.

Anyways does anyone know of good family docs, where do we find reuseable contruction material, such as 6+ windows (old), old panel doors, etc. Where is the best places to shop, local food eats that are not overly expense (no chains) second hand stores, best car dealership. Best places to see, would like to find a rental (near Mt Hood-for the weekend as well as the coast). Best place to get cars fix that won't cost you a fortune (no dealerships), flea markets, bakery, deli?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:55 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,593,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barba View Post
Our family just moved here and need local advice on some areas and how to acclimate to Vancouver. Does anyone know of magaines that can help us navigate through the area. We chose to live in Vancouver after exhausting search for affordable bungalow in the Hawthrone area and finding that 2500+ was just way to much rent.

Anyways does anyone know of good family docs, where do we find reuseable contruction material, such as 6+ windows (old), old panel doors, etc. Where is the best places to shop, local food eats that are not overly expense (no chains) second hand stores, best car dealership. Best places to see, would like to find a rental (near Mt Hood-for the weekend as well as the coast). Best place to get cars fix that won't cost you a fortune (no dealerships), flea markets, bakery, deli?
Lot of stuff there. Flea markets I can't say, but there are several good antique places downtown in a little cluster around Main Street Vintage Home - Vancouver, WA | Yelp if you're looking for cabinets/tables/chairs/etc.

What kind of bakery are you looking for? There's a german bakery just across the river from the east side The German Bakery - Northeast Portland - Portland, OR | Yelp, a decent bagel shop off Mill Plain Seize the Bagel - Vancouver, WA | Yelp and a few other options.

If you don't use yelp, certainly the ratings aren't always to be trusted especially if there's only a few for a store, but as a search engine for finding what services are around, they're quite useful.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,977,965 times
Rose's deli on 192d Street where there is also a bakery.

Larson's bakery on Millplain near Chuck's Produce. There is also a Great Harvest in the same center.

The grocers here do not have good deli departments, unfortunately.

I prefer the bagels at Panera. I haven't tasted a "real" bagel here.

I like the Goodwill on SE 162nd ST

WinCo is a good value conscious grocer. They do not advertise in the newspaper, by the way. Nor do they take credit cards. However they have very good prices on staples, as well as the best selection of bulk food I have ever seen.

I confess that I don't know what "family docs" means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: