Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:23 AM

5 posts, read 8,820 times

Advertisements

We just moved from Texas to Camas. I absolutely LOVE Helen Baller. I have two children that go there. Mr. Parman, the principal, is such a great guy. You can bet that he will address any issues of concern and ensure that the kids are safe and happy. He has an amazing ability to remember everyone's name...I do not know how he does it. Not only does he remember names, but he remembers small details that you may tell him in random conversation. The teachers at Helen Baller are amazing, and I hear they are at all Camas schools. I can't say whether this is true for other schools, but Helen Baller has an enormous amount of volunteer support. The schools really does not have to struggle with finding staff for their needs because of the support from volunteers, and teachers do not have to deal with mundane for the same reason.
We also LOVE our neighborhood. At any given time during a nice day, I may see about 10 kids of various ages playing outside together. I just love that because we did not have that before. There is amazing sense of community in our neighborhood, at Helen Baller, and in extracurricular activities. Although the weather can be gray and cold at times, what you get with schools and community is so worth it. My kids are very happy here. If you don't love anything else, I can bet that you will love that aspect (but I can also bet you will also love a lot of other things about this place).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 07:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasx View Post
PNWTexas - Yay!!! Another Texan! I'm excited...TX is all I've ever known so this will be an adventure. ...
I keep a home in Kerrville, TX (if that counts), and a few in Camas and Washougal.

On your next trip to Seattle (very fun for summer weekends), drop into Helly Hansen Centralia Factory Outlet and fetch yourself some quality rain gear. (next to Wendy's / Vanity Faire on east side of I-5)
Helly-Hansen USA Incorporated - Centralia, WA | Yelp

(great stuff for active wear, will last 20+ yrs!)

Old 06-04-2014, 05:41 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,181 times
Moved from the East Coast to Camas 2 years ago and only regret that my family (husband and 2 boys) didn't move sooner. We have loved every moment. ALL the schools are excellent. We starting out at Helen Baller and Liberty Middle (while in rental) and then switched to Grass Valley Elem and Skyridge Middle. At each of these schools we've have excellent (beyond excellent) experiences. My boys (ages 10 and 13) have met so many friends and enjoy every day of school (yes, even my 13 year old).

The hardest part for us was finding a place to buy. There were so few homes on the market when we landed. We eventually bought in a great neighborhood and have no complaints --- and yes, we have an HOA!

Old 06-06-2014, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,659 times
Quote:
Hi there! We are making the move from TX to WA in the next couple of months. I have two little people and one of them will be starting Kinder in the fall. I've done as much online research as I can about the various elementary schools in Camas, WA and am looking for any additional info to make a decision and determine where in Camas we would live. Any thoughts, rankings, ideas around Grass Valley, Helen Baller and Fox schools? I am leaning towards Grass Valley or Baller based on comments I've read on Zillow. There just isn't much out there. We're also planning on doing school visits before they close for summer.
We are looking for a caring community of teachers and students where creative thinking, kindness and wellness is encouraged. Art and music are important to us as well. Spanish offered once a week would be a plus.
Thank you!

Hello there, I live in Camas and my son went to Grass Valley in preK and Prune Hill K to 2nd grade. (now). I personally liked Grass Valley but is said that Prune Hill is #2 in the state. Kids are ahead their level. My son is on IEP for Autism and I have to say that I am not too happy about their program. I taught about moving him few times but didn't follow thru.
There is a new school Woodburn that opened up last year, you should check it out, too.
Good luck adjusting to the new place! If you need to buy a house let me know, I am a real estate broker.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,659 times
personally liked Grass Valley but is said that Prune Hill is #2 in the state. Kids are ahead their level. My son is on IEP for Autism and I have to say that I am not too happy about their program. I taught about moving him few times but didn't follow thru.
There is a new school Woodburn that opened up last year, you should check it out, too.
Good luck adjusting to the new place! If you need to buy a house let me know, I am a real estate broker. vaccgirly2k@aol.com

Old 11-25-2014, 05:51 PM

11 posts, read 22,320 times
Quote:
PNWTexas - Yay!!! Another Texan! I'm excited...TX is all I've ever known so this will be an adventure. Thanks for the insight on Baller. We'll get to visit next week
I have really appreciated this thread. We are making the move from TX to the Camas / Washougal area in a few months, Spring 2015.

I was wondering, texasx, if you have anything new to report now that you've made your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area