Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:44 AM

12 posts, read 25,539 times

Advertisements

My girls are 6 and 3, so yea the conceal carry will be a while lol.

They'll be 7 and 5 when we move there. We did consider Canada too, but the housing prices in BC are unreal. My wife is still a Canadian citizen so we plan on getting dual citizenship for my daughters.

I did look at places like Bellevue and Kirkland and I think they're out of my price range. From what I've seen for the Seattle suburbs I'd be look at Everett, Lake Stevens or Bothell and I presumed Everett was the easiest to commute from. I have a friend who lives in Everett, she liked Lake Stevens a lot but the commute to her job in Kirkland is what got them to pick Everett. I am considering, once we are ready to put the house on the market next year, seeing what's available in Edmonds. I hear great things about that area but the prices are up there.

Honestly though, the impression I get though is people have a more positive impression of Vancouver and Camas. My wife and I will talk about it more, thank you everyone for all the input. You've been great. I have to say the over all good thing is I'm pretty sure no matter where we end up, it's going to be better than here.

I think the decision is going to come down between whether we want to spend more money to live closer to BC or not. The only other factor I think we will have is business location for my wife. She's going to be researching that. Her goal is to open a restaurant.

I might have to see if I can get some deals on flights and go check out both areas some time this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Lynden and Ferndale are good choices in a decent price range.

If she wants a Dutch Cafe... Lynden is the place (They also have good schools)

Tell her to consider the catering or Food truck idea (You can check out Portland Oregon as food truck capital of the USA)

I rent commercial places and my restaurant tenants are tough to see go broke, cuz they work so hard. (They are also tough on commercial property). The food truck is SO much ezr. and you can cater and do events out of it too! and park it and not be paying $5k/ month rent.

I helped to start a local 'Mobile Farmers Market' truck that goes to growers, and then to a different small town and to retiree neighborhoods on a schedule. One could combine that into a natural food vendor with a trailer for prep and classes and have quite a business! Also catering healthy lunches and packet dinners for busy worker bees. I have done farm and food, both are very intensive. There are EZr ways to make a living....

Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 AM

12 posts, read 25,539 times
Lynden and Ferndale would make it difficult for me to find work if I have to look. At least that's my understanding, not a lot of IT positions up there.

We have lots of food trucks where I work in Arlington, love them! However, that's not what I think my wife wants. She's actually hoping to do something with native american cuisine and also as a place where she can feature and perhaps sell native american artwork. I'm quite confident she can do it. She worked in the business for a long time in many positions and always had great success. Right now she's taking the time to be a stay at home because we were able to figure out how to afford her that opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area