Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 06:06 PM

8 posts, read 6,460 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm looking for any gym recommendations. The last place I worked out was Golds gym and I loved it.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 10:27 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Location is important so look for options close to your home. I was OK at 24hour but it was too far, Golds was OK but the franchise contracted and cheated me out of prepaid, so now I am at LA Fitness which has been great for four years but a management change has dropped it from top notch to a little less.

I desire well equipped, maintained, clean, and a minimum of personal trainers (that simply have priorities that often conflict with general members) but location and price are decisions that vary for each person.

Other options around, depends upon if you want a pool, child care, etc. Visit those close to you.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 AM

8 posts, read 6,460 times
Went with la fitness! Seemed decent and affordable! Thanks

Old 07-09-2014, 04:54 PM

428 posts, read 810,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbeard View Post
Hello,
I'm looking for any gym recommendations. The last place I worked out was Golds gym and I loved it.
Thanks in advance!
Are there gyms or fitness centers and such in Vancouver, for adults only, that have a lap swimming pool?

Old 07-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I hear 24hr Fitness on east 164th and mill plain has a nice lap pool.

I have to drive 40 minutes to find a 50m pool (not willing to join @ a monthly fee... I'm an early retiree w/ ZERO income). YMMV

Basically SW WA is a swimming pool wasteland for 300,000 people. I came from a community of 30k that had 4 indoor lap pools ($0.75 admission). The day I arrived, I walked to a nearby High school to go swimming, and they looked at me like I was from Mars... Pool?, High School?, lap swimming? they had never heard of such a thing.

Then the Y and the Rec center in Vancouver spend millions on pools that are very architecturally pretty, but not functional for laps.. mainly for wading.. kids playing. My kids would rather spend the extra 10 minutes to go to a 'real' kid pool in Clackamas (Washington County public wave pool, with real BIG slides and fun)

If you are a lap swimmer and choose SWWA... you will need to join a club. Neither of the colleges have a pool, but the blind school used to have public hours (Small pool 25m). This place is really a pit for swimmers, and the swimming crowd at Marshal and east side Community Center are very rude and will not share lanes. We used to have a NICE but very old Pool behind Officers Row (Built for WWI infantry trainees). The city found asbestos in the ceiling and ironically the swimming pool building soon burnt to the ground, tho very near the fire dept What a tragedy, and sealed the fate of SWWA Lap swimmers for generations to come.

3-5 Clark County votes for community center got shot down, as the majority of the population is not really into lap swimming. Only George was nice enough to fully fund the play pool at the east center.

Portland Parks and Washington County have decent coverage, Mt Hood Community College has a nice pool.

I swam 1 mile / lunch break for many yrs, but have endured a swimming famine while in SW WA.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Are there gyms or fitness centers and such in Vancouver, for adults only, that have a lap swimming pool?
For some reason the powers that be decided maintaining pools was too expensive and let them go. It's sad really. Many of my childhood summer memories involve community pools (in Spokane, WA not Vancouver. Shadle Park pool represent!)

Well, we do have a 1,200 mile long lap pool we call the Columbia River. lol. There is also Kilineline Pond that I see many people lap swimming in.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
For gym activities, we use Firstenburg Community Center on 700 NE 136th Ave:

Firstenburg Hours & Fees | City of Vancouver Washington

The pool is probably not great for lap swimming, but the facility has a great track and lots of machines, including a cardio circuit that seniors use a lot. We usually go during the week, and most of the other users are seniors, although we see all ages. I imagine that in the evenings the users are mostly younger. We both like the place. If you live in the city of Van, your taxes help support it, so I'd recommend at least checking it out. We have to pay extra to use it.

There are two gyms there too, where basketball, and pickle ball can be played. And there is a climbing wall, mainly for kids, I think. And a pool, and rooms to rent. Its a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area