Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 AM

428 posts, read 810,453 times

Advertisements

What are the names of the utility companies I will need to contact once I get a rental house in Vancouver? I am making a list of contacts, I want to have the names of what companies to google to get contact info for garbage pickup, electric, gas, and water. If anybody could help me on this I am most appreciative. For example here in Duluth MN it is "Minnesota Power" for electric, "Duluth Water and Gas", etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 12:25 PM

338 posts, read 421,283 times
Clark Public Utilities (Public Utilities District #1 of Clark County) (electricity)
City of Vancouver Water Department (water) (sewer?)
Northwest Natural Gas (gas)
Centurylink (ILEC/RBOC [Ma Bell])
Comcra...erm, Comcast (QAM & pay cable/DOCSIS)
Waste Connections (rubbish/recycling)

Old 09-11-2014, 12:29 PM

428 posts, read 810,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
Public Utilities District #1 of Clark County d.b.a. Clark Public Utilities (power) (water?)
Northwest Natural Gas (gas)
Waste Connections (rubbish/recycling)
Centurylink (ILEC)
Comcra...erm, Comcast (pay/QAM cable/DOCSIS)

I don't know what the name of the contractor handling the sewer is, or if it's handled directly by the city.

Greatly appreciated! Sewer should be handled by whatever homeowner I rent a house from, I would think. Thanks for the cable internet, I forgot about that one, will want high speed internet of course!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Check my previous post again because I've updated it.

Yeah, I don't know how the sewer works here since this house still has a septic tank. That may not be the case for much longer as the city makes septic systems an even more unnecessarily bureaucratic nightmare than they need to be.

Personally I could not see using Commiecast for anything other than the in-the-clear QAM stuff over an existing hookup, but that's me. They suck things that I can't say on here because I'll probably get censored for it, so...

Old 09-11-2014, 03:09 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Check where you live too, we have Frontier for internet.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Is that even available in Vancouver? Regular copper-pair *DSL or fibre-to-the-node?

I do know Frontier have competitive local exchange carrier (dial tone) telephone service in Vancouver (out of Camas) because I have it on one of my two voice lines, via the Orchards CO. But Crappylink is the local incumbent exchange carrier (ex-Ma Bell) so it's the one most people are likely to be using.

Last edited by ratchetjaw; 09-11-2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 08:14 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Is that even available in Vancouver? Regular copper-pair *DSL or fibre-to-the-node?

I do know Frontier have competitive local exchange carrier (dial tone) telephone service in Vancouver (out of Camas) because I have it on one of my two voice lines, via the Orchards CO. But Crappylink is the local incumbent exchange carrier (ex-Ma Bell) so it's the one most people are likely to be using.
We have Fios through Frontier in Camas, it's great.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:25 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
City of Vancouver Water Department (water) (sewer?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Sewer should be handled by whatever homeowner I rent a house from, I would think.
I live in Orchards and my sewer is the Clark County Regional Wastewater District, so it's separate from water. I rent out rooms in my house and I charge roommates for water but not sewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Thanks for the cable internet, I forgot about that one, will want high speed internet of course!
You will pay for high-speed internet. You may or may not get it depending on time of day, part of town you live in and how many of your neighbors you share bandwidth with.

Quote:
No, Frontier is not available in Vancouver for internet-at least not in Orchards. I'd switch in a heartbeat if I had that for an option!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area