Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 04:46 PM

29 posts, read 21,544 times

Advertisements

Coming from CA (Bay Area) for the past 40 years, the winter in the NW is an adjustment - our first year here also happened to be the worst winter in Portland in the last 38 years. Even with that said, it isn't as bad I've heard and it certainly doesn't rain for 9 months straight as some say. Overall it's still a "mild" climate relatively speaking, but certainly more harsh than the parts of CA like the Bay Area. But again, it depends on where you started and what you're used to. For example, I've heard that people from the midwest move to Portland because they see the PDX weather as an improvement. All about perspective. In my opinion, the rain isn't that bad, but if you don't like grey days and constant sun is the foundation, utmost priority and primary root of your happiness, this isn't the place for you other than parts of spring, all of summer and parts of fall.

As I mentioned, it doesn't rain all the time as dramatically as some say, it mostly just showers or mists and there are lots of breaks (even sun breaks) in between during the dead of winter. There are lots of rainbows! It may show rain everyday all day for 10 days on my iphone weather app, but its never the case. A FULL day of rain (from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep) is rare based on what I've seen. Sometimes the rain is just at night but that counts as a "day" of rain. I've seen several week-or-so-long periods with no rainfall, even in winter, and several month-long periods with no more than a day or two of showers in summer. The forecast can change quickly though. I think you always have to be prepared for rain and up for the adventure, whatever it may bring, and always remember the rain is what makes everything so green and beautiful.

I personally like the overcast days and cool weather better than heat. So if you're like me, you'll probably enjoy it here. Once in a while it snows which is kinda fun, especially for the kids. That said, its only fun if you don't have anywhere to be because the roads can get messy for a few days, and because it's a rare event, the city basically can't handle it as they do in places that get a ton of snow, so you kinda have to wait it out or make sure your vehicles have the proper snow gear. We've also had a day or two when the wind gets rip'n pretty good and it can get cold - in the teens sometimes. It can bother you at times, but you just need to have the right gear and your fine. Again, you have to be up for the adventure and turn it into a fun event.

To sum, its a great place, weather and all. Coming from the Bay Area, there is a lot to gain going to a place like Portland and definitely worth experiencing more "weather" - better home for less, more nature, trails, green forests, waterfalls, rivers and lakes, less traffic and congestion (although Portland has its share of traffic just like all cities), and in my opinion, more laid back people. Its a good variety and it makes you appreciate the cool when its cool and the warm when its warm. There's a beauty in the grey days if you can see it. It's all about perspective. And, again, in the big picture its not as harsh as the rest of the US besides CA. I like the Bay Area weather (who wouldn't?) but not the intense traffic, over population and high cost of housing issues. I didn't see a future there (Bay Area) for my kids. It all depends on what you value, your lifestyle, your weather preference, all the pros you're looking to gain and the cons you're willing to accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 04:59 PM

42 posts, read 40,494 times
Being from Northern CA and NY, I think coming from the Bay Area it can be somewhat similar as the bay area has a lot of overcast days. Now saying there are full weeks of no rain is a bit of a stretch. So far the past year maybe one month during the 2-3 month summer, there could have been a week of no rain, but definitely not in winter. We have a puppy, and we try to get him out for exercise daily so we notice when the sun comes out and the streets are not wet. We have a brand new home with mold already on our covered concrete patio, which by the way is a must out here. So I've never seen this much rain or snow, but have been told this is unusual. Hoping things improve next year or will be relocating. 8 months of the rain is just too much for some. But like I said it's cool in the bay area, maybe not 30 degrees cool, but I don't think it would be such a drastic change such as I have been experiencing from the Folsom area, which had about 350 days of sunshine.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 PM

79 posts, read 144,483 times
We moved from the Napa Valley to Vancouver in 2008. We love it here! We live in Fisher's Landing on the boarder between Vancouver and Camas. We feel like we have the best of both worlds being so close to Portland. We are 15 minutes from the airport and tax free shopping if we choose. Yes, we get our share of rain and overcast days but the upside is everything is so green. Great places to walk, hike, bike, parks, and one of the best Farmer's Market in the US that runs every Sat/Sun for about 8 months a year. We have amazing grocery stores (we are foodie vegans) and our dining options are improving. Anything you can't find here hop over to Portland. You will hear about how "bad" the traffic is BUT they don't know Bay area traffic!! We still giggle about it....We found the people to be friendly, so many are transplants themselves. Have fun looking around

Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 PM

467 posts, read 526,769 times
I am not sure where you were last summer, but it does not sound like Clark County. We had a beautiful summer with long stretches of sunny days, and days were actually HOT, climbing over 90 degrees. We slept with windows open and eagles in the trees waking us in the morning. I agree with Rockidog that I will take our weather over San Francisco's weather in the summer any time.

In perspective, the weather is quite mild here in relation to some parts of the country. This,was an unusual winter and I am really tired of it, but it will just make Spring more appreciated.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:38 PM

Well it started raining in mid September, and it's now March, so that is 8-9 months of rain, and yes the rain is almost every day except now we get maybe one clear day. We have our dog now in daycare because we just can't exercise him at all in the lakes, pools of water forming and mud at the parks, he has to be showered afterwards to come in the house and he is a bernese mountain dog, lol. A shower is an event! Seriously when will this let up?

Old 03-15-2017, 01:06 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
September and March are 8-9 months apart?

The dry spell generally starts sometime in June with spotty rain/sunny days in spring. For sure on the 5th of July after the fireworks beat the clouds into submission.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:25 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missca View Post
Well it started raining in mid September, and it's now March, so that is 8-9 months of rain, and yes the rain is almost every day except now we get maybe one clear day. We have our dog now in daycare because we just can't exercise him at all in the lakes, pools of water forming and mud at the parks, he has to be showered afterwards to come in the house and he is a bernese mountain dog, lol. A shower is an event! Seriously when will this let up?
I don't think it has rained constantly since September.. There have been a ton of beautiful days in between then and now..

As someone else mentioned i guess its all perspective about winters and the weather with where you are from and what you are used to. I'm from Northern CA; but spend 5 years in the midwest recently and am very happy to be out of the horrendous winters there! A foot of snow and ice along with hard winds and tornado threats? No thanks! I'll take the spotty rain here and enjoy the mild climate.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
I'm from Northern CA; but spend 5 years in the midwest recently and am very happy to be out of the horrendous winters there! A foot of snow and ice along with hard winds and tornado threats? No thanks! I'll take the spotty rain here and enjoy the mild climate.
No kidding. Middle and Southern California, on the coast, arguably has the best climate in the United States. But the PNW coast is pretty good too, as the Pacific moderates temperatures, no to low humidity, no mosquitos or biting insects. Compared to the rest of the country, our winters are a cake walk.

Try east coast and midwest winters -- much colder, lot more snow, serious blizzards. And the summers throughout most of the United States also are miserable, with skyhigh heat and humidity, from New England to Arizona and every place in-between. Whereas spring summer and fall here are fairly idyllic.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
No kidding. Middle and Southern California, on the coast, arguably has the best climate in the United States. But the PNW coast is pretty good too, as the Pacific moderates temperatures, no to low humidity, no mosquitos or biting insects. Compared to the rest of the country, our winters are a cake walk.

Try east coast and midwest winters -- much colder, lot more snow, serious blizzards. And the summers throughout most of the United States also are miserable, with skyhigh heat and humidity, from New England to Arizona and every place in-between. Whereas spring summer and fall here are fairly idyllic.
I grew up in Oregon but for the first two years away from home I went to college in the Chicago area. I can still vividly remember getting off the plane in PDX every year at Christmas for the drive home to Eugene and being stunned by how green and pleasant mid-winter in Oregon was college compared to the grimy cold and gray winters in Chicagoland and Northern Indiana. Where you can drive for miles in winter and not see ANYTHING green at all.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:27 PM

And rain now for another week straight. April showers I guess. March showers, February showers, Jan, etc. Where is spring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area