U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 12:10 PM

122 posts, read 181,863 times

Advertisements

Wow, it's been awhile since I've visited CD!

Hubby and I moved to Dallas, Oregon from So Cal and after 9 months have gotten used to our little neck of the woods. It's beautiful here and we're liking the weather just fine. Hubby found a job nearby which suits us just fine as he's already getting a pension

Our lease is up in April and we're thinking of heading up to Vancouver, which was in our sights 2,3 and 4 years ago. It's small business friendly (mine is online sales and local silversmithing classes) and tax friendlier to us income wise.

My question is... is there a property management company that deals with a more rural area in or near Vancouver? The more we're in the PNW, the more we're leaning towards rural. It's just too peaceful.

I'm leaning towards a property management because the $40.00 fees add up for each place we applied to and it was just simpler. I wish we could carry papers of credit check, income verification, service dog proof, references and criminal background check from place to place but alas...not acceptable.

Recommendations?

Thanks
LBB
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,017 posts, read 50,129,222 times
I'd be happy if tenants brought such to me (papers of credit check, income verification, service dog proof, references and criminal background check). -- the previous mentioned Management company probably handles rural places too.

Give me more of an idea what you are looking for and I will keep my eyes open.
area, space, budget, amenities.

I have several rural rentals, and neighbors / friends do to. Several of us work overseas / away from home, so we help each other manage our own rentals. My tenants don't move very often (6-10 yrs) so nothing expected vacant in the near future.

Many artists in the Camas / Washougal / Battleground area living in rural spot with studio. Several friends do pottery / painting and display here (Don't miss it) 1-3 May Fiber arts, jewerly, woodcraft too... Ceramic Showcase

Old 01-16-2015, 01:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,017 posts, read 50,129,222 times
btw previous mentioned mngmnt company... //www.city-data.com/forum/vanco...tals-area.html

Padmapper / zillow...

Old 01-17-2015, 11:55 AM

122 posts, read 181,863 times
Thanks StealthRabbit, appreciate it. I've tried Padmapper, Zillow, Craigslist, Trulia, looked up property management companies etc and I'll keep looking. Locals just know so much more, you know?

I'll keep looking, just to get a flavor for things.

2 bedroom or 1 bedroom and a studio space. Garage would be nice but not necessary, 700- 1K is our max right now as we're looking at buying once we find a "home" town. Town close by (5-10 minutes away is good I guess) (it's just hard to tell without getting carpal tunnel clicking on google maps for hours) I don't need a mall or specialty stores... I'm just not that kind of girl lol Neighbors that are friendly but not *too* friendly but not rude either.

Woodstove, insulation, something not so cramped that we can't move if we put a normal amount of furniture in it. A closet would be nice. (I'm kind of joking but I'm surprised at how many houses don't have one. I guess back in the day if you had a closet, it got counted as a bedroom and you paid more tax for it?)

Something that has been taken care of is a must. I'm kind of shocked at how many places here have rotting wood, handles on the kitchen cabinets are bent and sharp and the space between the windows is moldy. I take excellent care of our belongings and expect the same. It's one thing when you pay less and clean up the property or help clean up a farm lot but it's another to pay to live in a hovel.

We're in a 900-1000 sq foot house now and it's just about right. Master bedroom at least 15x15 (holds a queen size bed, dresser and 2 side tables) a decent sized closet (our current one is about 4' wide and a pain to share, yes we share it and make it work) 2nd bedroom doesn't need a closet but 10x10 minimum. Kitchen at least big enough for 2 people doing normal work (we have a country kitchen now that holds our dining room table and is about 15x20 and I love it) Living room 15x20 would be nice. (not so much it costs more to heat but holds a normal amount of furniture) Bathroom with a tub.
Washer/dryer hookups are a must. We have washer/dryer. Stove and fridge isn't necessary but would be nice.

Fenced yard would be nice, not just for the dogs but for security. Husband gone working graveyards and being nearly deaf leaves me vulnerable and so security matters. I have precious metals and jewelers tools so that's another reason security matters.

I'll go check out the link you posted, thanks. Camas, Washougal look really nice and artsy. I'd love to meet up with other silversmiths...that would be the bees knees. I'd rather be on the outskirts of any town than actually be IN town. Again, it's hard to tell without clicking my way into numbville on google maps. We're planning a trip up there in the next few weeks with the dogs on hubby's days off just to drive through Vancouver/Camas/Washougal and get more of an idea.

Our lease is up in April and I'll be picking your brain more then, if that's okay. Thanks again SR, you've been a font of info since I first joined up on CD

Best
Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area