Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 07:10 PM

113 posts, read 128,001 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what is considered a standard heating system in the PNW. Here in MI it would be a gas furnace with full metal ducting to each room.

• How common are heat pumps?
  • How far out from Vancouver do the natural gas lines run?
  • When did they start insulating walls in new construction in the PNW?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Full electric is common, (including heat pumps of all varieties) Ducting to each room as well as 'mini-splits'

Ceiling heat (strips) is BAD (in some homes in 1970's)

Natural gas is in most city limits / urban areas.

Insulation has been code since 1970's

I get a lot of solar gain. You want south facing windows (very big windows) and NO TREES blocking sun / causing moss to grow on roof and sidewalks.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Hey Stealth - just punching in. We're in Moses Lake, the "base", huge windows facing south towards Highway 17. No trees on the property blocking the sun...they're just outside our southern fenceline. Nice trees, though, I must admit. No moss will grow in Moses Lake, but you probably knew that. Just checking in...I knew you knew we were coming from previous posts on the Washington state boards...just making it official.

We have electric baseboard heat for all rooms...3 BR 1 1/2 BA 1288 sq.ft....we're just renting the place. Large, big yard that I'll need ta score a lawnmower in order ta mow the lawn. The wife is excited about getting petunias for outside and inside. Petunias are primo flower pets for the Pacific NW!

Old 03-07-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
We have electric baseboard heat for all rooms...3 BR 1 1/2 BA 1288 sq.ft............
About how much are you paying for heat during the winter with baseboard heating?

Old 03-07-2015, 08:34 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Redbelly...that's the $64,000 question right now because we haven't received our first electric bill yet. I can re-post on here when we do but people we're meeting here in Moses Lake keep saying that "our electric rates are about the cheapest in the nation." Pretty eager ta see what they'll really be.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Redbelly...that's the $64,000 question right now because we haven't received our first electric bill yet. I can re-post on here when we do but people we're meeting here in Moses Lake keep saying that "our electric rates are about the cheapest in the nation." Pretty eager ta see what they'll really be.
Thanks. The reason I asked is because electrical resistance heating is about the most expensive way one could heat here in the colder Midwest. Michigan is too cold to really use a heat pump in the depth of winter.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:53 PM

I used water media / electric baseboard heat. (Thermo-Tru ?)

was VERY ez, comfortable, and quite inexpensive.

My current Heat pump is miserable (cool 'hot' air).

We use wood to augment solar gain. Will add 'annualized' solar to next building project.

Old 03-12-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I used water media / electric baseboard heat. (Thermo-Tru ?)

I'm curious as to what water media is with respect to a heating system. Is it electrically powered?

Old 03-12-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbelly View Post
I'm curious as to what water media is with respect to a heating system. Is it electrically powered?
Water for Thermal mass / convection / distribution.

I was referring to stand alone Electric Baseboard that has large tubes of glycol / water. (similar to the portable 'stand-up' radiators, but fits in the space of a baseboard electric.. )

Of course I have used conventional 'distributed' baseboard hot water heat in many of my homes since the 1950's. It is very handy as you can use your multi fuel boiler (including many FREE / discarded fuel sources), and solar / wood heat to augment. I am 100% electric in a very harsh PNW climate (cape horn) and can get by for <$80 / month yr round. (4000+ sf). + HUGE shops (lights) and lots of welding and machine / woodworking shops) High power consumption.

My retirement homes and planned PNW cottage community with be very frugal power users. Trying for Net Zero (which will be impossible).
Will probably use Rastra / Apex ICF or rice hull panels for any future PNW homes I build.

I am very surprised how well passive solar works in PNW, I have been doing passive solar in Mtn States since the 1970's. I spend ZERO on solar 'devices' / specialties. I make my own very conventionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area