Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:17 PM

322 posts, read 776,132 times

Advertisements

I can't take the heat here in Northern California and my lease is up in 11 more months. I am 60 and would like to move to a nice low income senior place that accepts a dog. I have time to work this out, but have no idea where to start.

Do all the senior places have waiting lists? Is there decent medical? Any tips on how I can go about accomplishing this? I don't have a very good car, that's the problem with driving up there. I might sell it to help pay for my move when the time comes. Any ideas on how to accomplish this big move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 10:27 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,033,316 times
3 things I have found out as we moved to the Vancouver area.

The Cost of living is not much different than northern California but you will not have to worry about state income tax.

Renting with pets is hard. Rentals go so fast that landlords have the luxury of stating No pets Allowed. As more and more people buy up real estate maybe the winds will change. You will probably have to pay additional pet rent.

It is hard to get to where you want to go without a car. It is not impossible but no car or relying on public transportation will limit where you can live.

There are a lot of medical facilities around here and in Portland. On this I would not worry.

The section 8 can transfer with approval. You will have to contact the municipality of where you want to live and see if they can accept your transfer or put you on a waiting list. Even though it is a federal program, there is only so much money to go around. Each city and county has their own limits.

The senior living places are something I'm not familiar with though. Hopefully someone will post here with more information.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:37 PM

25 posts, read 31,281 times
[quote=Ms_Christina;39569799]3 things I have found out as we moved to the Vancouver area.

The Cost of living is not much different than northern California but you will not have to worry about state income tax.

MS_Christina ..... Can you expound and give me more details/examples when say cost of living is not much different than NorCal? I think most people are under the impression that cost of living is cheaper in WA.
I have seen the rents to be significantly lower for one. Thanks.....

Old 05-11-2015, 05:01 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,033,316 times
If you compare Vancouver to say somewhere in San Joaquin County in the middle of NorCal the difference in expenditures are small, I would guesstimate 4%- 10%. While housing does have a better %. Housing in Vancouver can be a lot less but health care can be more expensive.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:33 PM

25 posts, read 31,281 times
Got it thanks

Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,420,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
The section 8 can transfer with approval. You will have to contact the municipality of where you want to live and see if they can accept your transfer or put you on a waiting list. Even though it is a federal program, there is only so much money to go around. Each city and county has their own limits.
If OP already has a voucher in California, she doesn't have to go on a waiting list in Washington. She has to find the Housing Authority in Washington and ask California to send her paperwork to that office.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
If OP already has a voucher in California, she doesn't have to go on a waiting list in Washington. She has to find the Housing Authority in Washington and ask California to send her paperwork to that office.
Yes, I have moved counties before with my voucher and I would have to make a trip to the new Housing Authority. It's just hard to look for an apartment long distance!

Old 05-13-2015, 02:12 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,485,629 times
OP, is escaping the heat your primary reason for wanting to leave CA? If so, you might want to try Crescent City, CA. A CD frequent poster made that move & loves it there. She moved for the same reason. No Section 8 waiting, either. Look for her posts. I was a Californian & I'm now in the PNW & it's beautiful, but it also gets hot here, & not much a/c!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
OP, is escaping the heat your primary reason for wanting to leave CA? If so, you might want to try Crescent City, CA. A CD frequent poster made that move & loves it there. She moved for the same reason. No Section 8 waiting, either. Look for her posts. I was a Californian & I'm now in the PNW & it's beautiful, but it also gets hot here, & not much a/c!
Yes, escaping the heat is my primary reason. Hmm....Crescent City.....I'll check it out! Thanks! If you think of who that is, let me know ok?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:28 AM

5,305 posts, read 7,590,490 times
Crescent city is pretty small and isolated. Next nearest larger city with a big hospital is Medford Oregon which is going to be over 2 hours away over some pretty rugged mountains that can be closed down in the winter due to slides and snow.

Perhaps a better option with that still has the same cool coastal climate would be the Eureka area. There is Eureka proper and also the nearby cities of Arcata and McKinleyville. You'll have a lot more housing options plus better shopping, medical, and everything else. The area is very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area