Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:27 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times

Advertisements

I just don't know if the OP would be happy here. Stealth is right that there isn't a lot of what they've mentioned as priorities. I've lived half my life in the southern U.S. and there isn't really good any good southern food around that I've tried (will check out recommended above Jane) and no country music to speak of.

Politically if you said you were a liberal democrat and you were moving from almost anywhere but SF I'd say you'd be fine, but I fear a SF liberal democrat might be miserable on this side of the river.

OP if you are really set on Vancouver check out the Lincoln and Uptown Village areas of Vancouver. When I'm at Latte Da on weekday mornings (in Lincoln) it seems full of active retirees. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 09:21 PM

8 posts, read 12,783 times
Default Thanks to everyone...

LOL. I guess I oversold the "not your typical CA transplant" part of my original message. I intended just to get across that we are impecunious by SF standards these days and removed from woo-woo CA traits. We'll be up there for the next 5 days so we'll check out all the places that you've suggested in all your postings this year. The Huz and I really appreciate all of you for being so generous with your comments and information to newcomers. (PS to Stealth Rabbit... In the late 1990's, I got admitted to the TX State Bar with a view toward moving to Austin. Then Apple opened a facility there, and prices went through the roof and became unaffordable. There were 20 yr old kids who were transferred there, went from a very small studio with no furniture to a 5000 square foot house with no furniture in the blink of an eye. So, believe me, I'm familiar with the problems that moneyed CA are causing to states where the living is affordable. Just remember -- not all who are fleeing CA these days are carrying moneybags in the trunk.)

Old 11-06-2015, 10:08 PM

467 posts, read 526,617 times
I am looking forward to hearing your experiences during your 5 days in Vancouver area. It is not where you are from, but where you are heading. Your choices are unlimited. Congratulations!

Old 11-15-2015, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 12,783 times
Thought I'd report back on the trip to Vancouver. An exhausting few days driving carefully all over and then decided we liked the west of 205, Fishers Landing etc area the best. I also checked into the YWCA facility that does work with Dom violence and sexual assault victims, LGBTQ youth, and CASA (court appointed special advocates for foster children). I was very impressed with the Y but they have a fairly large paid staff and I'm not sure that they have much use for my pro bono legal services. I am definitely not ready to stop being a lawyer, just want to do vol work instead of for pay. So that is a concern. The day we arrived, the Oregonian ran an article on the affordable home crisis (occasioned in large part by relocations from San Francisco) and the day we left, the Columbian ran an article on the county-wide high rents. The Huz is completely sold on Vancouver, and the fac that the trees were turning while we were there only added to his zeal. I am 75% sold, but .... I will keep watching this forum and the rental market and see what development over the next 8 months. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area