Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 12,668 times

Advertisements

I fell in love with Vancouver about 10 years ago when I first saw the bridges and the waterfalls. A year ago, we were thinking of retiring to Nashville or Austin to be closer to family, but decided that we are committed West Coasters so are seriously considering Vancouver. We are moving to WA from San Francisco (huz started in ID and I in OK). I'm retiring on a government pension after being an attorney taking away from licenses from bad attorneys for most of my career. I am interested in doing pro bono legal work and other volunteer work too. The huz is an underemployed artist, and for pay has worked mostly in customer service, concierge security work. He plans to keep working because he is younger, and wants to work in Vancouver instead of Portland. We are lifelong renters and that probably will not change. We are looking for a 2-bedroom house or townhouse or row-house that is dog friendly. We would appreciate any ideas that you have that would facilitate my pro bono (free) legal work, his job prospects, and modestly priced neighborhoods. We are liberal Democrats, but love country music, southern food and own firearms, so we are not your typical CA transplants. We want community, neighborliness, and a place to contribute. Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 02:22 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,585,423 times
Esp. coming from SF, what do you consider to be "modestly priced"?

Old 11-02-2015, 03:43 PM

Default "modestly priced"

Excellent question. We are in a rent-controlled 2 bedroom flat with a sunroom that has washer-dryer hookups, for $1,500. In the market now, it's renting for $3,950 (but they will have to do a lot of work on it first.) So we're thinking anything between $1,500 and $2,000.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:54 PM

Uh, oh. Was it something I said, or is it that CA retirees aren't welcome?

Old 11-05-2015, 02:02 PM

467 posts, read 520,001 times
Despite all the chatter about CA people raising property values, etc., I have not seen ANY personal attacks against anyone from anywhere. I am a native 5th generation Californian living north of Vancouver. Almost all my neighbors came from California at one time or another. We all understand why others want to move here. I love living in SW WA after living in central WA for a few years....loved that too. I have found very friendly people who welcome everyone. Come on up!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:25 PM

Default Thank you Jane !!

Thanks for your nice message. We've been to Vancouver four times now and everyone we met was so friendly. Glad the "climate" is so hospitable. We cannot wait to move! Cheers!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:50 PM

Although from southern CA, I also and ex-SFer. I have many relatives in the bay area, including kids, so I get back there often. I realize you are renters, as so many SFers are (except my brother who owns a beautiful Victorian in Noe Valley), but you might want to consider owning a home in the Vancouver area. Although renting initially make sense while you learn the lay of the land, most renters eventually have to relocate due to the home being sold. I think you will find home ownership much more attainable in the Vancouver area. Good luck with your exploring!

Old 11-06-2015, 02:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,481,475 times
don't give up your prop 13 benefit till you endure at least 3-5 yrs of Nov thru March. (or OCT through Jul 5th for some of us who are VERY sick of drizzle).

Having spent 40+ yrs with a CA based fortune 50, I have endured my share of CA immigrants (thousands) (to my work groups in Colorado and WA). They often head back to CA for retirement to enjoy prop 13 (which they kept), Some keep a SMALL CHEAP cabin / second (third) home in WA / PNW. They come back for a few yrs, most endure long enough to get their fill of sailing or wind surfing, then they retreat to CA.

My regrets came when CA allowed excess RE equity to flow out of CA. (more prevalent pre 1997 tax law when you HAD to buy UP). Also the CA immigrants got VERY special treatment at my company (retained CA salary ~30- 50% higher than local), eventually they were supposed to get evaluated and paid as a local.. They whined enough about paying taxes and payments on their $700k homes (that were really $350k homes) till the company dropped all our local rankings and placed the CA immigrants at the top of the new 'enhanced' pay scale, and we (locals) went over 10 yrs w/o raises / CoL adjustments. I worked one week / month for free (just to pay CA premium to my property taxes). I can't say I personally dislike all CA, (since I'm married to one and have MANY family and friends there there). CA policies and the RE equity CA spread throughout the western states caused MANY fellow ranchers / farmers / elderly / locals to lose their homes, businesses and livelihoods and most importantly, their previous quality of life. WY and CO were first to fall (largely do to CA buying 'seasonal homes' on pristine ranch land, then ID, MT, NV AZ, NM, OR, WA (which are no longer habitable in desired areas / cities / tourist towns by economically strapped long time residents (seniors . disabled)). We lost our places, or the ability to pay the new taxes yrs ago. EZ CA solution, circa 1965... KEEP all equity in excess of national home average price invested in CA! CA would be MUCH better today, and we (western states) would be going back to grandma's farm for Thanksgiving. Instead we will just have to go wait in the drive-up at In and Out. Would be nice to be with old friends and family, but they had to move far way when they lost their job(s) to NAFTA. 80,000 UI in WA alone; unemployed EX high paid, high skill.

Remember...we used to be able to go to the stream and fish (for free and NO fishing PRESSURE, I/e, plenty of fish! (elk too))

IN the precise words of my assessor... "sell to a CA person, That is what my parents did, and everyone else I know who was unemployed / fixed income". Problem... I did not build the place brick by brick to sell to anyone! I just wanted to live there! What am I gonna do... move and build another? (btdt many, many times, too old to build new orchards and soils (takes 10+ yrs))

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-06-2015 at 02:51 AM..

Old 11-06-2015, 07:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baycyd View Post
I fell in love with Vancouver about 10 years ago when I first saw the bridges and the waterfalls. A year ago, we were thinking of retiring to Nashville or Austin to be closer to family, but decided that we are committed West Coasters ... We are liberal Democrats, but love country music, southern food and own firearms, so we are not your typical CA transplants. We want community, neighborliness, and a place to contribute. Thanks very much.
problem statement above:

PNW we_tside is quite barren of Country Music,
especially Vancouver, WA! (barring the 'country fiddler' meetups one weekend / month) (thus another 'benefit' of my home near Austin)
Southern Food is not too common in PNW we_tside. a few cajun and BBQ food trucks in Portland (do some research on options, as flying to SE USA for food is a long and frequent trip, I spend ~5 hrs each way commuting to SAT or AUS, you will be another 2+ hrs, unless you get a 'direct' to Houston or NO.)
Democrats are not plentiful in Clark County. Consider some of the 'play - summer home' counties popular with Seattle-ites. (Melow Valley) or look seriously at Bellingham / Fairhaven. Very nice, more liberal, close to Vancouver BC (very nice ethnic options. (don't take your guns to CDN )

Spokane is not too bad of an option, many CA law enforcement retire in nearby NoID.

Not to discourage you, but your list does not jive with PDX area. (tho there are plenty of options / perks here)

Country Music and Good southern food is the real challenge.
Realize that as CA goes, so follows OR and WA (CA wannab-bees). Now we even have CARB (contrary to the vote of the people).

Old 11-06-2015, 10:42 AM

DH and I have varied interests and have found SW WA a pleasant place to live. Not a huge fan of Country Music, but it seems like I hear an awful lot on the radio when I scan through stations. When I hanker for southern food (not often), it is a short trip to Poshness in Kenton (Portland). Democrats may not be plentiful in Clark County, though we have found it much more liberal than central or eastern WA. Certainly not as liberal as SF, but then, no where is. Melow (do you mean Methow?) Valley is very isolated and a beautiful place to visit. Two years of devastating fires have really impacted the area.

I have lived in CA, MT, and WA all my life. I have not lived anywhere that I could not find activities, cultural life, friends, food, opportunities that did not encourage me to expand my horizons. The reasons I love SW WA.......cooler weather, no snow, close to ocean, easy to access the big city when I want to, mountains/trails, lakes/rivers, and of course Trader Joe's (just kidding). However, the reason I love it here so much is that the kids and grandkids live in Portland. I guess that trumps all other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area