Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 01:50 PM

18 posts, read 24,618 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are wanting to move to either Oregon or Washington since she can go to school from virtually anywhere. I know it's kind of broad, but for now we have researched just areas in Washington.

A little about us, we are a family of three, my wife and I and newly rescued dog. We like the outdoors, good food, playing sports (tennis and basketball) fishing off shore, hiking, running for exercise etc.

Jobs: my background is hospitality and physical education. My wife's is counseling and administration in schools.

Areas of interest to us are:
1. Affordability
2. Good neighborhood, close to walk to grocery stores?
3. Costco and trader joes are huge in our households (one if not two of these stores fairly close by 20min max
4. Close enough To drive short distance to fish? Rivers, lakes, sounds, you name it I'd like to fish it.
5. Quiet neighborhood, not big partiers but I do like to consume the occasional local brew
6. Pet friendly
7. Area that would help us in terms of job availability (see above)
8. Fresh produce availability doesn't have to be a farmers market necessarily.

I know we are leaving the best weather the country has to offer, but we are willing to succumb to a different climate for a change.

Areas we physically visited in the Seattle areas that we can see ourselves possibly living in based on our wish list above were Lynwood, Edmonds, and Renton.

We have only researched these places in other areas of Washington: tri cities ( Richland and Kennewick mostly) and Vancouver.

As far as Oregon goes we want to stay away from Portland, and have friends who live in Beaverton and just made the move last year from sunny San Diego up north and love it. More research is needed to be done for Oregon.

So what am I asking?
Thoughts and opinions of areas to live, maybe some very basic pros and cons to Washington and Oregon. And your guys opinion to get get best acclimated to the area i.e. Church, gym, etc.

Sorry for the lengthy post but love this community, and we are anxious for the move so all help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 02:42 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
More urban or more rural? Do you care about school quality? What's your budget? Buy or rent? Apt or house?

I think just about everything (except perhaps walking to Costco or TJs) can be had in the Vancouver area but we can help you narrow it down a little with more info.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:47 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
More urban or more rural? Do you care about school quality? What's your budget? Buy or rent? Apt or house?

I think just about everything (except perhaps walking to Costco or TJs) can be had in the Vancouver area but we can help you narrow it down a little with more info.

They don't have kids.

Bend, OR, fills a number of your requirements, and has better weather than the coastal regions. There are schools there, no way to know if there would be openings in your wife's areas of expertise, but there are other towns within a decent commute, too. Hospitality good work, too, as it's not only a retirement destination, but a vacation destination, too. And what do you mean by Phys Ed? Are you certified to teach in the schools? Are you a personal trainer?

Old 07-12-2016, 04:35 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:

There are two Costco's and a Trader Joe's in Vancouver. One doesn't walk to them though. One doesn't walk really anywhere in Vancouver much except perhaps a few places like downtown Vancouver and downtown Camas.

Frankly most of the more upscale and growing suburban areas in the Northwest will basically fit your requirements. Bellingham, Greater Seattle Area, Tacoma, Olympia, Vancouver, and the greater Portland area. Perhaps also Salem, Eugene, and Bend but those smaller areas are going to be harder to find work. Jobs will be easiest somewhere the greater Seattle or Portland metro areas.

I would think you are going about it backwards. Find the new jobs you like first and the rest will fall into place.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:43 PM

18 posts, read 24,618 times
Thank you for the replies.
Quote:
We like the in between or urban and rural. Not extreme on either side. No kiddos yet for school quality to be a concern. Budget is in around $1k per month for rental 1-2br.

Quote:
And what do you mean by Phys Ed? Are you certified to teach in the schools? Are you a personal trainer?
I am not "certified" but graduated with BS degree in Kinesiology so I can do all the aforementioned careers.

Quote:
I would think you are going about it backwards. Find the new jobs you like first and the rest will fall into place.
As much as I agree with you, I want to take a step out or a leap of faith on this one if you will. If you have any input into the the hot jobs there or any related to my field of study that would be much appreciated. I have done research to not to much avail.

Once again thank you!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If you would like to be near recreation in a very dog friendly town...
If you can be near, but not IN Portland,

I'd look at Washougal, WA
Get a job with Rebound PT in Camas.
(Many other options within 20 min)
TJ and Costco within 20 min.

Excellent fishing, big river, (2 min) small river, (1 min) lakes, (10 min) and 1.5 hrs to ocean
Much fishing within 2 hrs. Mt Adams lakes are great. So... Hood River, OR or White Salmon, WA would be nice too. But 1 hr to Costco.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by champton89 View Post

I am not "certified" but graduated with BS degree in Kinesiology so I can do all the aforementioned careers.
All what aforementioned careers? You only mentioned hospitality. You didn't mention anything in relation to Phys Ed. You'd need teacher certification to teach PE in the schools.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:54 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Yes, I was going to recommend washougal as well. It may be a little rural depending on your preferences but it's still affordable and close to great fishing and gorge activities. If you're looking to teach phys Ed you may want to check the local catholic and private schools as they don't require a teaching cert. There are also many PT options nearby.

The only downside with washougal is that the schools aren't great which may matter to you in the future.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Yes, I was going to recommend washougal ...

The only downside with washougal is that the schools aren't great which may matter to you in the future.
For other / future readers or inquiries... (Where schooling might matter)

But... 'Washougal is Home of a great Homeschoolers network + where Moore Foundation homeschool institue began n the 1970's''

Nearby Camas and Battleground have great home school groups, very helpful and many resources including current and retired teachers and professors to help (and parents more learn too)

CCHE is a great resource
Clark County Home Educators - News & Events

Washougal's dogpark and river access for dogs is quite nice. (Both Columbia and Washougal Rivers)
Great Hiking and pics are within minutes, or outside you window. Portland (if you must) is 20 min to PDX, 30 to downtown
Public transit is available.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:07 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimitime View Post
Thank you for the replies.

We like the in between or urban and rural. Not extreme on either side. No kiddos yet for school quality to be a concern. Budget is in around $1k per month for rental 1-2br.

As much as I agree with you, I want to take a step out or a leap of faith on this one if you will. If you have any input into the the hot jobs there or any related to my field of study that would be much appreciated. I have done research to not to much avail.

Once again thank you!

If you are going to leap without jobs lined up then my best advice would be to look at the larger suburban fringe areas around Portland or the greater Puget Sound area. Your budget won't come close to getting you an apartment in Portland or Seattle proper. But if you want to maximize your chances of employment you should probably settle in one of the larger metro areas. Somewhere in the greater Seattle area between Everett and Tacoma or somewhere in the greater Portland area between Vancouver and Salem. Sure there are other nice mountain towns with lots of outdoor possibilities like say Bend or Wenatchee and towns on the coast like Newport and Astoria. But if you stray out beyond the major metro areas you are going to be reducing your job prospects by a factor of 100 or more.

If you are willing to give up proximity to the ocean then Spokane and Boise would also meet nearly all of your criteria as would Salt Lake City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area