Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,247 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Really need advice on serious matter. Recently tried to refinance out rental property and a lien on the property came up, over a minor detail. Apparently our tenants received two letters from the clark county department within two weeks of each other which allowed 10 days to clear up the matter. Understandably it is not their responsibility to do anything about it (or is it?) You'd think if an important enclosed document was posted on your door twice, with landlords name on it, you would do something about it. Anyways so they had these letters for almost a year and fees reached ridiculous proportions. I was able to get most of them cleared but almost $2000 still must be paid. Any suggestion on how to go about making them pay this amount? Their lease is up this month so they left a stack of about 20 different letters including the two notices from all past year for me to pick up.

I've been a tenant myself for several years and I know how frustrating it is to receive mail with someone else's name on it. But a simple and decent thing to do would be to return to sender or call usps and let them know or even let your landlord know and they can take care of it.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 10:53 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
It's not their fault, it's yours.

Clark County like pretty much every other jurisdiction in the country requires absentee property owners to designate a mailing address that is different from the property address. That's what every absentee property owner should do. It isn't your tenant's fault that you failed to keep an up-to-date mailing address filed with the county as required by law.

As for the tenant, they were also wrong. There is a legal obligation to forward or return mail that does not belong to you. Either forward it or write "not at this address" and drop it back in the mail. But that would be something for the postal inspectors to deal with if you wanted to file a complain with the post office.

You could always take them to small claims court but the judge will no doubt point out that the county requires that you keep an up to date address on file which you failed to do and then send you on your way.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Interfering with federal mail is a crime. You can't legally throw away mail that is misaddressed. If you open it by mistake, you need to note that and forward it to the correct address or the PO if there is no correct address. This is serious stuff, and all residents on this end of the postal service need to know the law.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 07-22-2016 at 11:08 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 11:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Interfering with federal mail is a crime. You can't legally throw away mail that is misaddressed. If you open it by mistake, you need to note that and forward it to the correct address or the PO if there is no correct address. This is serious stuff, and all residents on this end of the postal service need to know the law.
Interesting question. I can find references that suggest destroying mail not addressed to you may violate the law. I do not however find anything that says you have to do anything about mail not to you.

And I am not sure how you would require someone to do something with mail they received not for them.

Anyone have a reference for any law or regulation that requires you to respond to mail not addressed to you? Not looking for reference that you cannot open or destroy. But that you have to do something with it.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 PM

Well, I didn't say that this doesn't happen routinely. Just explaining the law. And it is routinely ignored by federal officials. Perhaps I should have included this in my earlier post. But we should all still do the right thing. Any misaddressed mail should be sent back, not destroyed.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 07-22-2016 at 11:37 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Well, I didn't say that this doesn't happen routinely. Just explaining the law. And it is routinely ignored by federal officials. Perhaps I should have included this in my earlier post. But we should all still do the right thing.
Not arguing that. But is anything actually required by law?

Old 07-23-2016, 12:16 AM

Yes, but again, it is largely ignored. Do what you feel is right. The Postal System is outdated and they rely on outdated policies. I can't offer anything more than that.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:35 AM

113 posts, read 128,137 times
Quote:
Yes, but again, it is largely ignored. Do what you feel is right. The Postal System is outdated and they rely on outdated policies. I can't offer anything more than that.
Perhaps you could reference the law with a link.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:17 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
18 U.S.C. § 1701 : US Code - Section 1701: Obstruction of mails generally

Old 07-23-2016, 09:19 AM

Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs or retards the passage of the mail, or any carrier or conveyance carrying the mail, - See more at: 18 U.S.C. § 1701 : US Code - Section 1701: Obstruction of mails generally

knowingly and willfully obstructs or retards?

Be very difficult to construe doing nothing as obstructs or retards and then you have knowingly and willfully. Tough sell.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: