Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 08:32 AM

31 posts, read 157,343 times

Advertisements

If we move to Camas and my husband works in Portland, I may want to open a small law office in Camas to provide wills, trusts and estate planning services, and perhaps real estate law. I think this is a great field to work in because is provides a legal service that people are getting only when they want it. Are there many attorneys in Camas? Would locals be interested in having access to an attorney in town, or are folks more apt to go to the "big city"? This is sort of a specific question, but I am really interested in what others impressions are. Does going in to Portland/Vancouver for professional services like lawyers, dentists, doctors, tax planners, etc. get old? Does Camas have a large enough population to support a small office? I am interested in any input.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:58 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
We're moving out-of-state so I don't need a local attorney, but I can give you the perspective of one Camas resident. Basically, I try to do as much business as I can in Camas and the Fisher's Landing area of Vancouver. I only like to drive to Portland on the weekends for fun, not for every day errands.

The main thing will be to advertise so that people know you are there. When I'm searching for a business, the first thing I do is search Google. Maybe an investment in Google AdSense would justify its cost in attracting new clients. Also, a direct mailing would be good. That's how we found our accountant the last time we needed one. Just as I was thinking, "Hmmmm...I need to find a new CPA," his nice letter arrived in our mail box and I called him up and hired him. He had a great Web site, by the way, and that influenced my husband's decision because my husband rarely hires any business that doesn't have a Web site to review first. It doesn't have to be extensive, it just has to have the basic info about your business like a brochure would.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:15 AM

550 posts, read 3,265,387 times
There are several attorneys in Camas/Washougal, but most specialize in criminal, business, or bankruptcy and I think one that does only family law.

Remember that if you locate your business in Camas, you'll also pull clients from Washougal and the outlying rural areas north and east of both communities. I don't think you'd have any problems keeping busy. And yes, it get very old going into Vancouver or Portland for anything. But there are dentists, doctors and lawyers in Camas/Washougal, already so the locals do have some options.

Also, keep in mind that word of mouth is golden in this area. Because everyone knows everyone else, they talk. A lot. And when they run out of their own stuff to talk about, they talk about what has happened to someone else. If you do right by people and your rates are reasonable, you'll have more business than you'll know what to do with. Even though there are some more affluent members of the population in Camas, there is also a healthy mix of the less affluent. What might seem like reasonable fees in Vancouver could seem high to those living in Camas and Washougal. Just do your research. Find out what other attorneys in the area are charging for their services.

One of the most respected local attorneys is now a Clark County District court judge. John Hagensen was a very well-respected, long time attorney in Camas. While he was an attorney, he was very active in many community organizations. Which is a great way for people to get to know what a fantastic person you are and will make them more willing to seek out your services.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 PM

44 posts, read 187,833 times
Yes, we do!
Citizens in Camas/Washougal prefer to stay local and support the local businesses. You could call the Chamber in Camas and they should be able to answer any of your questions.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:49 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
We're looking for an attorney to do a will and we live in Camas

Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
One of the best Clark County estate attorneys lives in Camas, but their practice is in Vancouver. That is probably due to the historical demographics and the fact there were a few well established attorneys in Camas at the time practice was begun.

There would be plenty of work to support an estate planning attorney. Seems 'elder-law' info and representation is missing. Do realize that the majority of your 'Camas' business will come from Washougal residents, (plenty of new population to support) as they must pass Camas on their way to town, and they don't like to go to town. The majority of Camas population lives on the west side and it would be out of their way to go to Camas (Downtown). If you cater to those folks by placing yourself in Fisher's Landing, your rent will be high, and you will be in competition with Vancouver attorneys, ..and Washougal folks are less likely to detour to 192nd. (traffic lights...not good)

A great way to get exposure is to offer to do some free community education classes, or teach a couple sessions of adult ed. Estate Planning is not too well understood, but vital, and increasing in demand, especial in CW area, as many of the people are recent transplants and need to be brought up to speed on living in one of the very few Community Property states and getting their advanced directives in line (which can be a challenge living next to OR who has a very specific AD, tho can recognize a WA one; but not all OR caregivers choose to do that). I consider it best to have both.

I'd buy a nice little home for the office on the east side of Camas and keep your costs low and atmosphere and accessibility inviting. Word of mouth will keep you busy, once you get some exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area