Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:19 PM

31 posts, read 156,947 times

Advertisements

If we do move to the Camas/Vancouver I would like to find schools with great music programs. My sons are very musical and are involved in school bands that include steel drums band, symphonic band, jazz band and jazz combos. Do the schools in this area have those kind of programs. From the school website it looks like Camas High School only has a marching band.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM

30 posts, read 139,491 times
Default School Bands

Skyview has most of the things you are looking for. I know that they travel a lot during the summer doing concerts and competitions all over. The only other school that I have seen that seems to really compare is at Evergreen HS. I would look into both of these programs, and both schools are good schools for your kids also.

I know that Battle Ground HS has a jazz band that won in New york just a few years ago. They seem to be very good in the jazz area, but do not seem to expand from this influence, if you are looking for more.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:15 PM

44 posts, read 187,377 times
Default Public Schools - Band Programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2008 View Post
If we do move to the Camas/Vancouver I would like to find schools with great music programs. My sons are very musical and are involved in school bands that include steel drums band, symphonic band, jazz band and jazz combos. Do the schools in this area have those kind of programs. From the school website it looks like Camas High School only has a marching band.
Fort Vancouver HS, Jason Lee Middle School and Skyview High School all have school Steel Drums programs. Skyview also has a symphonic band. In Clark County WA., Skyview has all of the things that you are looking for. It is a top rated school.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:36 PM

550 posts, read 3,256,969 times
What type of music program are you looking for? One that does a lot of marching, attends symphonic band competitions or maybe has a strong jazz program? Most schools have a specific genre where they excel. I know our band hated marching with a white hot intensity, but we had a blast with our jazz and symphonic competitions where we regularly took 1st or 2nd in our division several years in a row.

It all depends on what you're looking for. Contact the band directors at various schools and ask some questions. You'll get a better feel for their program by doing so. You could also do a Google search of the local music competitions and see which schools placed where. That will also give you an idea of the quality of the music department in that district. Cruddy directors don't usually attend competitions and they certainly don't have great bands that place well if they do attend.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
From the school website it looks like Camas High School only has a marching band.
What, if anything, have you been able to find on their website? I don't see any band page, at all.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:31 PM

44 posts, read 187,377 times
Call Beacock Music, they have a department that works with the local schools here and find out which schools they recommend. for your needs.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsostuff View Post
Call Beacock Music, they have a department that works with the local schools here and find out which schools they recommend. for your needs.
Excellent idea. The Beacock family is a phenomenal resource for anyone with questions about music education. They know what is going at pretty much every program in the area. And they're some really great people, too.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Thank you for your ideas. It is hard to find music program information on school sites sometimes. What I do then is look at the activities calendar. If it says band concert only, it seems like a small program. If it says jazz band concert one day, symphonic band concert another, and jazz combo, percussion group, orchestra, etc., I feel like it must be a larger program.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
What I do then is look at the activities calendar. If it says band concert only, it seems like a small program. If it says jazz band concert one day, symphonic band concert another, and jazz combo, percussion group, orchestra, etc., I feel like it must be a larger program.

That may not be the best way to get an idea for a school's music education program. Many times those calendars aren't 100% accurate. Also, many schools have one concert for winter and one for spring that includes all their bands, but they may not list each and every ensemble performing. I remember more than one band concert that included a performance by the beginning band, advanced symphonic band, jazz band and orchestra, along with various small ensembles. All of which were listed in the activities calendar simply as "band concert".

If you're really interested in a specific community, contact their school district office. If they're not able to give you a quick overview of the program, they should at least be able to point you towards someone who can. I would imagine you could ask specifically for contact information for the band director for the school, too.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM

What you state is obvious diggitydot. My method is just a way to get an feel for the program when the school does not have more info on their website. Are you a real estate agent too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area