Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 09:46 AM

19 posts, read 22,296 times

Advertisements

After a whirlwind trip yesterday to look at several rental homes, my husband and I are more indecisive than ever and I would love any and all advice from you all!

We found 2 homes: one in Camas/Prune Hill area and one in East Vancouver.

They are basically the same price.
Both landlords seem very nice and welcoming.
Both are similar in size, however, the bedrooms in the Camas house are pretty small. The East Vancouver house has small bedrooms, as well but are a little better laid out for ease of bunkbeds, etc.
Both have decent back yards, however, the East Vancouver house's back yard is a little smaller and has a slight slope which could be annoying.
Camas house, while on flat lot, is on hills which gives me pause for snow, bike riding, etc.
Both houses are on streets where kids can play safely.
Camas has character - has older parts, but also really nice parts, is near a lake, has a charming downtown area.
East Vancouver is in a very nice neighborhood, is flat and is conveniently located to Costco, JC Penney, Target - all the stores I frequent quite often, but lacks that little quaint feel, if you know what I mean?
Camas house is only 1.5 miles from VEGA which will be the second home of my 16 yo daughter.
East Vancouver house is nearly 7 miles from VEGA.
Both high schools (Union and Camas) are excellent from what I understand.
Both elementary and middle schools are excellent. (we have four kids: 2 in elementary, 1 in middle and i in HS)
Both are near parks.
We plan on spending a lot of time hiking, kayaking, paddle boarding which I think might be closer to Camas? Not sure about that...

We'd like neighbors that talk to each other, who look out for each other and have a sense of community. We work from home and both houses have an office which is key.

WE ARE SO CONFUSED!!!!

Thank you so much for any guidance, personal experiences, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Don't be stressed or confused.

Should have given us the cross streets so we could comment on neighborhood.

I would do the quietest / best retreat house, with close commute for kids and job.

(I am partial to being near Columbia Gorge and FAR from traffic lights)

'east Vancouver' can have a high rental neighborhood. I would not want that.

Nice areas available in each.

When confused / too many choices I make a weighted spreadsheet and let the decision prove itself out in statistics.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:56 AM

Stealth rabbit to the rescue - thank you so much for responding!

The East Vancouver house is between NE 6th St and 5th St in the Morning Glen area (according to google maps)? There's an RV parking lot right behind the house, so no neighbors to the rear.

The Camas house is on Fargo Loop in the Shiloh Heights subdivision. It backs up to a culdesac so no neighbors there either, which is good.

Camas does seem to have everything close by... dance studios, gyms, groceries, And from what I hear the community feel in Camas is really great.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:31 AM

31 posts, read 55,455 times
Do the Camas house. That's a great neighborhood. Helen Baller Elem, Liberty Middle, very close to downtown, camas produce, safeway, and downtown library, and VEGA is close to you too which sounds like that is great. You are not as far as you think from Walmart/Costco and all those amenities. 10 min apx. The only bad thing about that area is you better love going up and down hills. And you are closer to the paper factory which means you might get a few more "smells" on the no wind low cloud days. I always notice the smell but most people don't, I think I just have a sensitive sniffer. LOTS of hills in Prune Hill. When it's icy here, there's no going anywhere really. No hills really in E. Vancouver. I don't know what schools the E. Vancouver house is but I can almost guarantee nothing can beat Camas schools. If you live in Camas, you'll be in E. Vancouver a lot or if you live in E. Vancouver you wont be in Camas a lot unless you want to be. There are other gymnastic places, Naydenov is another.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-02-2017, 11:00 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnw View Post
Do the Camas house. That's a great neighborhood. Helen Baller Elem, Liberty Middle, very close to downtown, camas produce, safeway, and downtown library, and VEGA is close to you too which sounds like that is great. You are not as far as you think from Walmart/Costco and all those amenities. 10 min apx. The only bad thing about that area is you better love going up and down hills. And you are closer to the paper factory which means you might get a few more "smells" on the no wind low cloud days. I always notice the smell but most people don't, I think I just have a sensitive sniffer. LOTS of hills in Prune Hill. When it's icy here, there's no going anywhere really. No hills really in E. Vancouver. I don't know what schools the E. Vancouver house is but I can almost guarantee nothing can beat Camas schools. If you live in Camas, you'll be in E. Vancouver a lot or if you live in E. Vancouver you wont be in Camas a lot unless you want to be. There are other gymnastic places, Naydenov is another.

Hope this helps!
This IS great advice! I'd do the Camas house too.

We had one year experience at both Helen Baller Elem and Liberty Middle then switch to Grass Valley and Skyridge once we bought a house. Both of those school ARE excellent. The leadership is top notch!!

You are making a smart choice in renting first. It is so wise to rent for awhile so you can find your permanent house AFTER you've been living here. Since you'll be renting I think I would focus on getting the Camas house if you want your kids to attend Camas School District. I'm VERY partial to the Camas Schools and can only tell you that we've had only the best experiences. I LOVE being part of a community that supports their schools. AND I can't begin to tell you how much our family enjoys the Camas football games!!

Best of luck to the choice you make. Trust your judgement -- you'll make a good decision.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:05 PM

79 posts, read 144,483 times
Camas house

Old 04-03-2017, 11:25 AM

Thank you so much everyone! My gut is leading me in the direction as Camas, as well. I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's insight and opinions. You guys on here have made this huge decision so much easier for us!

Old 04-06-2017, 08:20 PM

Hey everyone! Wanted to let you know that we signed a lease with the Camas house today. We'll be your neighbor in June! If you see a frazzled mom with 4 kids who doesn't know her way around, please be kind. We are SO excited! Everyone's advice was so helpful - I can't thank you all enough!

Old 04-29-2017, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,910 times
We will be moving out there in early June. Is it possible to secure a rental this early?

Old 04-29-2017, 04:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlwl72 View Post
We will be moving out there in early June. Is it possible to secure a rental this early?
Better start now. Rentals go very fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: