Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2017, 01:37 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any favorite Mexican restaurants in the area?

Maybe coming back to the area from Texas our standards are too high. But nothing we have found in this area comes close to say Lupe's Tortilla in the Houston area https://www.lupetortilla.com/ or the Alamo Cafe in San Antonio Alamo Cafe | Tex Mex at Its Best

We've tried both locations of Jorge's Margarita Factory downtown and on Mill Plain and it seems like a reasonable neighborhood Mexican place but nothing really special. Nuestra Mesa in downtown Camas is a decent gringo-ized version of Mexican but more pricey. Tried Los Potrillos on 192nd and it was typical suburban Mexican fare.

Are we just too far from the southern border to get really great Mexican in this town? Are there any secret spots we should know about? What about across the river in PDX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 02:01 PM

467 posts, read 526,074 times
This is one of our favorites in Portland.

AUTENTICA

Old 05-14-2017, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 11,481 times
We normally go to Los Jalapenos in downtown Camas. It is not authentic by any means but it's close and more affordable than some of the others nearby. I agree this area is lacking in good Mexican food. I've been interested to try Catedral El Taptio but haven't made it there yet.

Portland has many superior establishments in which you can find more authentic fare. Xico on Division has excellent food and atmosphere although I am not sure how authentic it is. It definitely is a bit higher end than your typical Tex-mex place.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:55 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
We came from Texas and were used to TexMex food which is not very available up here. You may find a few that are authentic in Portland but most are a different tradition.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 AM

472 posts, read 525,989 times
Authentic Mexican food here is a challenge for sure! Every time I got to CA I have to eat Mexican food. Mexican food can vary greatly even in California. The closer you get to the boarder the better it is! Nothing is as good as San Diego or LA Mexican food, but Central Coast is what I'm used to

Sad to say, the only place I like is the taco truck on Hayden Island across from Safeway.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
We like a restaurant in The Dalles the best so far. Casa El Mirador on the North side of I 84. I would not say it is authentic, but the food is not greasy and they have a pretty decent menu. I like their lunch menu.

I haven't found a place here in Van that I care about.

Someone recommended Los Pepe's on NE 28th. We have not tried that place yet.

We have tried a couple or three local places, and the food is so bleah and ordinary.

There is a newer Cali Mex fast food type grill on East Mill Plain. We've tried it once and i thought it was OK, but similar to Chipolte. And I think I've seen a sign in downtown Van about some sort of Cal Mex place due to open in a few months. Not sure about that, but I think that is what I read on the building's window.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Need to venture to Washougal Los Dos I and II. Not the best... but 'better' than most.

Good NM fare in SE Portland La Panza Cafe
(It will be close when you go to current GREAT seasonal venues at Crystal Springs Park , or CMNW (Reed College) Woodstock / Eastmoreland is PRIME at the moment! (flowers / landscapes) )

Fortunately, Tex-Mex just got topped off in Hill Country / SA TX, at MUCH more affordable prices!!! ($5.25 entrees including iced tea) (usual monthly trips, but 4x in last 2 months) on our way to PDX tonight... (BUT... rain is still in PNW!) And in 10 min facing yet another PDX bound flight full to the brim, + MANY lap dog 'emotional support beasts'..(Everyone seems to LOVE to leave and return to PDX!, but I could do without the fleas.. ) yuk

Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Thanks guys. I guess this is just something that Texas does better. Not really looking for true authentic upscale Mexican food. Anyone who's visited Mexico's big cities and dined out in nice restaurants knows it is far more diverse and interesting than what gets served here. Sounds like some of the pricey places in Portland are more like that. Basically Mexican versions of the expensive Peruvian places that have gotten popular where you can easily drop $100 on dinner and drinks for two.

What I'm really just looking for is bang-up TexMex. Sizzling fajitas, fresh hand-made tortillas, fresh salsas, grilled veggies. Often great cerveche. All the normal familiar stuff just done to a higher level with fresher and higher quality ingredients and meats. Every big city in Texas is just filled with places like that. But I just don't see them here. Perhaps it is the level of competition. Down in Texas people talk about their favorite fajita (or BBQ) places like people talk about their favorite Thai or Pho around here. What I find in Vancouver is average suburban Mexican fare that looks like the menus haven't changed since the 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area