Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 11:33 PM

28 posts, read 30,792 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving from Hillsboro, to Battle Ground. We haven't spoken with a realtor yet. We loooove the country homes, especially out Risto Rd (west of BG). Is anyone familiar with the internet situation? Do they have Comcast?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:59 AM

17,305 posts, read 12,233,399 times
There is both Comcast and CenturyLink fiber in city limits. You get too far out into the hills though and people are getting bad service(on local fb group someone was just posting up his 1mb download speed he pays $80 for) and even having to turn to satellite internet, which is terrible.

Once you come up with some addresses I would just plug them in on Comcast and CenturyLink and see if they have service there.

I'm only familiar with NE Risto Rd which is east of town.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Most of BG has DSL (+/-)
Take your Hotspot with you and check speed.

I have been able to get 30 mps on Verizon Hotspot in that area (but not ALL of that area)

8mps is pretty std for rural 4G Broadband. Some DSL should get you 20+mps (depending on traffic and distance to switching station)

There is ONE company (out of IL) who will sell you a rural BB SIM, but you need an EIN number (very ez to get from IRS). Nothing special about the SIM, but you will need a SIM router / device.

Verizon 'Jetpack' works well if it is just YOU. (Will not cover the whole house with WiFi)

There is some ground based BB, but customer service is non-existent. Go down on a friday night... maybe at 10AM Monday you can call service dept... maybe...

Old 06-26-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

I'm only familiar with NE Risto Rd which is east of town.

Hahaha, whoopsie! Yes, east! I I meant east. I was so tired when I wrote that.
Also, that's a really great idea, to put the addresses into Comcast website, thank you!

Old 06-26-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Most of BG has DSL (+/-)
Take your Hotspot with you and check speed.

I have been able to get 30 mps on Verizon Hotspot in that area (but not ALL of that area)

8mps is pretty std for rural 4G Broadband. Some DSL should get you 20+mps (depending on traffic and distance to switching station)

There is ONE company (out of IL) who will sell you a rural BB SIM, but you need an EIN number (very ez to get from IRS). Nothing special about the SIM, but you will need a SIM router / device.

Verizon 'Jetpack' works well if it is just YOU. (Will not cover the whole house with WiFi)

There is some ground based BB, but customer service is non-existent. Go down on a friday night... maybe at 10AM Monday you can call service dept... maybe...

Yikes! This is great informal to have, thank you!

Old 06-26-2017, 09:12 AM

17,305 posts, read 12,233,399 times
I have the 70mbps plan from Comcast. But it usually tests around 90. Which is nice as I often work from home in software development. Highest plan they offer is 250. But I am in the heart of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: