Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:13 AM

1,517 posts, read 989,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Thanks Ttark for that info ! I think that means its a good thing...

If you're into technology and exploring telephone networks it is. WSGLWAXA's a Northern Telecom DMS SSO (Small Switching Office) which is basically a repackaged DMS10. Old early digital switching technology from an era when a lot of the North American PSTN was still mechanical (but not as old as a dinosaur SP1 (are there still any SP1s left in the PSTN? I would think after Odessa there aren't)). Not as versatile or as much phun as a full DMS100-type machine but there's still lots you can do on a 10 that Ma Bell's child from a previous marriage (i.e. the 5ESS) won't. Of course most people for whom a telephone is just a boring tool that they use to trudge through the day won't know the difference between them since "a dial tone's a dial tone" but beyond that really is a huge difference.

Of course I was into phreaking Camas when it was still a GTE-owned GTD5EAX (central switching office downtown in the northeast end of the block behind the movie theatre), which was kind of like GTE's answer to Mother Bell's ESS but is structured more like a DMS100...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 10:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemi View Post
... is it a necessity for me to learn to use a firearm for insurance should I encounter one of these in my yard ? Do they mostly come out in the day or will they be curious at night too? Are there things I could do to make our yard less attractive and curious to any predatory wildlife ?

Watch out for your neighbors ? Is that the REAL threat really ?
just learn to say Boo!! or make any noise. You are only seeing an animal because they did not see, smell, or hear you FIRST!

For you yard, just a few flashy whirling devices and the reflections will scare them off. Except during Blueberrie season... Flashy things are advertising "GOOD pickins" to the local bird population

Neighbors... tough to say. I have had some very great ones, and a few of the 'others'... Worth the time to investigate BEFORE moving in.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemi View Post
Since reading the backdrop in Washougal is mainly forest... what type of predatory wild animals should be taken into consideration if deciding to choose to live here? With a toddler, just wondering how safe staying outside would be and if any serious threats are here. Is ownership of a gun needed as an insurance should a situation with wildlife occur?
Sorry for what may be a dumb question, but I have no knowledge of how to deal with wildlife...
Thank you for your response in advance !
deers and coyotes. neither will come close enough to harm you - but it's always safer to bring your animals (dogs/cats) in at night

Old 11-19-2017, 03:34 AM

85 posts, read 80,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
just learn to say Boo!! or make any noise. You are only seeing an animal because they did not see, smell, or hear you FIRST!

For you yard, just a few flashy whirling devices and the reflections will scare them off. Except during Blueberrie season... Flashy things are advertising "GOOD pickins" to the local bird population

Neighbors... tough to say. I have had some very great ones, and a few of the 'others'... Worth the time to investigate BEFORE moving in.
Hah ! I just hope they don't tap me on the shoulder and say "Boo" first...
Maybe if I grow some "booberries" I may not need to be seen..
Is it wishful thinking to think if the reflective devices are capable of scaring of those "tough" neighbors off when they see themselves...

Thank you StealthRabbit !

Old 11-19-2017, 03:36 AM

85 posts, read 80,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
deers and coyotes. neither will come close enough to harm you - but it's always safer to bring your animals (dogs/cats) in at night
Will a Great Dane or Bull Mastiff scare them coyotes off you think jribe...

Old 06-13-2021, 09:55 AM

20 posts, read 31,603 times
Just bumping this thread up to see how things are tracking for Washougal and if there are any new developments?

Old 06-13-2021, 04:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesurfer View Post
Just bumping this thread up to see how things are tracking for Washougal and if there are any new developments?
There are always new housing developments going up around Washougal. And I seem to recall some aerospace company that is going to expand and build a new campus down in Washougal in the industrial park by the river. I'll see if I can find a link. Yep, here it is: https://www.columbian.com/news/2021/...mas-washougal/

But otherwise I don't see a whole lot of new change happening within Washougal itself. The downtown area more or less looks the same. It hasn't suddenly turned into Camas or Lake Oswego or anything like that.

There is frankly a lot more happening in the East Vancouver and Camas corridor along 192nd where lots of new stuff is going up and apparently Hewlett Packard is planning to build a big new campus out next to the Costco.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:55 PM

20 posts, read 31,603 times
Thanks for that, always interesting to see if things will pick up in Washougal since it has the right bones for it. You mostly only hear about Vancouver and Camas. I'm actually surprised they're able to keep cramming things into Vancouver, which seems quite dense as is.

Camas has that big commercial park/residential housing area by the river, adjacent to Dawson Ridge happening as well right now.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesurfer View Post
Thanks for that, always interesting to see if things will pick up in Washougal since it has the right bones for it. You mostly only hear about Vancouver and Camas. I'm actually surprised they're able to keep cramming things into Vancouver, which seems quite dense as is.

Camas has that big commercial park/residential housing area by the river, adjacent to Dawson Ridge happening as well right now.
Depends what you are looking for as "up and coming"?... home, business, services, view, schools, future...

Know the specifics of your areas before choosing ANY place.

Washougal had it's boom in 1993-1998 when it hosted 3 consecutive "Parade of Homes"

For the most part, the 'new' Washougal stuff is all "CA specials"; hardiplank multi-stories with 3 car garages, on dinky lots, with challenging landscaping and privacy fences,... same-o, same-o. Pay the $600k+ entry fee and be just like everyone else

Remember to LOOK AROUND at all hours, commute, weekends, nights...

Washougal has ONE (1) bridge over RR tracks and ... the main highway, Downtown, Post Office, Library, City Offices, Police and Fire are on the OTHER side of that ONE (1) bridge. (Stuff happens... we had a huge RR derailment in one of our previous towns and it disrupted commerce for yrs + a lot of contamination to clear up.)

Less than 1/2 mile east of Washougal = CGNSA, and directly south = a BIG river which equals 'land-locked'. Not that this excludes Washougal as 'desireable', but.... make the best choices for YOU and your family and future. Fortunatley, there is no more "Parker House"(bar closing at 2AM) or 2-lane w/ stop lights and bridges (chances for wrong way traffic) or left turns... which led to the traffic deaths of a few friends and tragedy for a few Washougal families. so yes... "up and coming", compared to some of our past tear jerkers. it would be very special if drivers were courteous enough to "Signal-their-intention" and signal when exiting a traffic circle. But the WSP just coments... Many more Slow accidents are better than a few FAST accidents, (No accidents would be a good answer... turning left across traffic, even at a traffic circle on a 200 mile road with (3) interruptions...? signal your intention (brilliant). Some of us commercial drivers would like another 3m accident free miles.

Ironically, there already was a handy overpass and plenty of Highway frontage that could have equalled a true limited access highway with NO round-abouts required. They are a lot of fun pulling loaded doubles and dodging inept car drivers confused and indecisive. (add Waiting for the train to clear the RR crossing 4 blocks away from the highway... Great planning... if there ever is an evacuation crisis... people will die. (Think Yacolt Burn, Industrial business meltdown, Train wreck, Breached dam upriver, Tsunami, Earthquake / liquefaction...) any or all is very possible, if not likely.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-14-2021 at 12:43 AM..

Old 06-14-2021, 03:16 AM

220 posts, read 153,957 times
I just bought a duplex in Washougal.

I think it's a nice area geographically with cottonwood beach and stuff.

Just went to the hardware store to get some stuff and was surprised to see a nice shopping mall thing with a delicatessen whatever that is but it sounds fancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area