Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times

Advertisements

If you dont mind rain you will be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 04:13 PM

14 posts, read 49,477 times
We just moved out of the PNW for job reasons. I am a native CA myself along with multitudes that live(d) in Vancouver/PDX. We had 5 acres just past Washougal in Skamania County. We also lived on land just north of Battle Ground and in Battle Ground proper. Taxes and Utility rates are cheaper in Skamania County by far. Trust me coming from SoCal, you can live in any of the places mentioned and feel like everything you want/need in at your fingertips. (alright within 40 min drive). Homeshcool network is also great in the area. Get in touch with HomeLink and OCEAN network. There is an annual homeschool fair in Portland every Juneish. If you can go to that you can network and find what is best for you. I couldn't agree with the prior poster more, if you don't mind rain you'll be fine. It rains ALOT!!! Grey days ALOT!!! But to each his own and good luck!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,524 times
I came from SoCal myself and I have lived here in the Pacific NW (Portland/Vancouver Area) for two years now. It's such an amazing place because there's more safe place compared to SoCal. Yes I agree with everybody about the growth but if you do compare it to the existing growth in SoCal, it will not be looking like SoCal until - wild guess - 20 - 30 years from now. There are way too much empty land here and a lot of the cities and counties are trying very hard not to overpopulate. Hope this helps!

Old 05-26-2008, 01:00 AM

48 posts, read 204,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali4evr View Post
Hi. I am in need of some advice. The family is moving from California to the Portland/Vancouver area this summer. My husband will be working by the airport in Portland but will be traveling a lot. We would like to live on the Washington side. I have been looking at different cities and am not sure where the best place to live is. We would like land and a small community that will NOT grow over the next few years. I home school my kids currently and would like to continue so schools are not the biggest factor. We are interested in peace and beauty but a short drive to the city would be nice. Can anyone give me their input on these following cities: Camas, Battle Ground, Evergreen, Orchards, Brush Prairie, Salmon Creek, Washougal, La Center, Woodland, Walnut Grove, Cascade Park, Felida and Fishers Landing.
Most of the "cities" you mentioned are just areas within the city of Vancouver.

Vancouver: Not small. Lots of growth. And its not the best kind; they're putting up rowhomes and stuffing people into them as tightly and quickly as possible, while making street parking illegal via fire lanes. Housing costs and rent costs climbing.

Camas: Not small. Lots of growth.

Battle Ground: Personally, I don't like it, but that doesn't mean you won't. I think its kinda creepy. Also, Homelink has now become a public school rather than a link between homeschoolers.

Areas north of Vancouver: Smaller in size, longer distance to Portland, more conservative.

I don't think you're going to get what you want.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 54,658 times
I think Felida is the nicest area mentioned (think green pastures and beautiful homes) and Orchards the worst.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 PM

615 posts, read 1,171,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariMichelle View Post
I think Felida is the nicest area mentioned (think green pastures and beautiful homes) and Orchards the worst.
I disagree and think Fishers landing is the best area.
It's close to hwy, good schools, good shopping,
and less crime than Felida area.
Camas is also ahead od Felida.
With this in mind Felida is still a good place
to live.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,684 times
The west side in Vancouver (salmon creek, felida, lakeshore) is a very desirable place to live and raise children. We live in the Felida area and it's close to all amenities, great schools and offers quiet, established neighborhoods. We are very sad to leave our wonderful home & neighborhood (our home is currently on the market) but a job change is taking us across country. Coming from CA, you'll love this area.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:54 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrfan View Post
The west side in Vancouver (salmon creek, felida, lakeshore) is a very desirable place to live and raise children. We live in the Felida area and it's close to all amenities, great schools and offers quiet, established neighborhoods. We are very sad to leave our wonderful home & neighborhood (our home is currently on the market) but a job change is taking us across country. Coming from CA, you'll love this area.
I agree... having lived in a number of places in the country I find this area excellent... and less crowded and hectic than some of the popular areas mentioned.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 AM

44 posts, read 171,297 times
Stay away from Washougal. As a 3rd generation "washougalite" I can tell you it is not the place to be. At least when there are other towns close by. Skamania would be too far a drive and the roads are dangerous especially when you get the gorge winds, snow and ice. Ridgefield and Battleground would be good for you and the lifestyle that you mention. Both are located off of I-205 and depending on how far out you go, can be quick to PDX.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balco9 View Post
I disagree and think Fishers landing is the best area.
It's close to hwy, good schools, good shopping,
and less crime than Felida area.
Camas is also ahead od Felida.
With this in mind Felida is still a good place
to live.
"less crime than Felida"? NO way, call VPD, they'll give you the stats. Felida is very low crime, upper middle class living with great schools (Vancouver School Dist). Also Fisher's Landing/East side is just like Beaverton, part-trendy and newer but the traffic is horrible. And the schools are second rate (evergreen district): too crowded and too many extra days off. I love the variety of shops and restaurants there but i can drive there in 15 min on the highway, spend the day and come back to my quiet neighborhood. Camas is fine if you don't mind the paper mill smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area