Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:59 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemi View Post
Thank you jribe and texasdiver for your responses. I really appreciate the time you take in responding to those of us totally unfamiliar with the area. It really is great of you and this forum is just outstanding !
My husband has taken early retirement and there is an age gap (17 yrs) between us. We have a 2 year old toddler in tow and so, school districts will have greater importance to us as we plan for her future.
I have an RN license issued for Hawaii, though English is not my first language and I need to pass an english proficiency test to become licensed in WASH.
We are not particularly looking for a large open space lot, but somewhere that is safe and accepting of an asian family who have an age gap like ours. We understand it may be a lot to ask, but we are friendly folk and hope that's what is important.
I guess the reason I asked about the two areas is because they seem to fit into our budget for a home, whereas Camas is on the high side for us I think.
Any advice you can give is truly appreciated as we are new to living in the states and really don't know what to expect.
Thank you all again for the advice you provide... !!
hi,
personally i live in ridgefield (and did look at the other areas); i work from home so traffic wasn't an issue. Ridgefield is a really great town (VERY safe), quiet and family friendly. You won't have any issues with the age gap nor culture. People are very welcoming here and many are transplants from other areas. We have lots of new build housing available (and more coming) and existing home stock. Most tend to be two-stories; some subdivisions have larger yards (Tavner Ridge, Canyon View, Cassini Estates, Wishing Wells) but not too much where it would be a hassle to take care of.

The Kaiser at salmon creek (if hiring) would be a really quick commute for you job-wise. The only thing i dislike about living in Ridgefield is that we really have no shopping here (caveat- we do have two small markets, a hardware store, post office, handful of restaurants) but mainly we go to Salmon creek for our needs.

If you'll be commuting for work anyway- it won't be a problem for you as you could go after work; or your husband could go during the day.

I've heard the schools here are really great, i don't have kids, so i can't give personal opinion.

good luck with your search and let us know where you end up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 04:34 AM

85 posts, read 80,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
hi,
personally i live in ridgefield (and did look at the other areas); i work from home so traffic wasn't an issue. Ridgefield is a really great town (VERY safe), quiet and family friendly. You won't have any issues with the age gap nor culture. People are very welcoming here and many are transplants from other areas. We have lots of new build housing available (and more coming) and existing home stock. Most tend to be two-stories; some subdivisions have larger yards (Tavner Ridge, Canyon View, Cassini Estates, Wishing Wells) but not too much where it would be a hassle to take care of.

The Kaiser at salmon creek (if hiring) would be a really quick commute for you job-wise. The only thing i dislike about living in Ridgefield is that we really have no shopping here (caveat- we do have two small markets, a hardware store, post office, handful of restaurants) but mainly we go to Salmon creek for our needs.

If you'll be commuting for work anyway- it won't be a problem for you as you could go after work; or your husband could go during the day.

I've heard the schools here are really great, i don't have kids, so i can't give personal opinion.
good luck with your search and let us know where you end up!
Thank you so much for your helpful response jribe...
We are leaning towards the Ridgefield area as the new housing helps us feel that we may not have expenses in maintaining an older home. While this may not be true, I guess being the first one to live in the home makes it feel that way

What might be those commute times to Salmon Creek from Ridgefield and it is nice to know that they won't be too long should I find employment there. I guess for myself, I enjoy a shopping environment whereas my husbands priority that would be ranked #9 on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the highest...

Old 11-18-2017, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Go here and click on the elementary school boundary map.

Boundaries & Exceptions - Camas School DistrictCamas School District

But absolutely verify addresses with the district if you are looking at buying property anywhere near the boundary line. I have seen real estate listings that get it wrong. The agents that put up the listings can be sloppy about that sort of thing.
Thank you so much texasdiver for the helpful link ! I will be sure to check against a prospective property against the data provided. I am very appreciative for your help, believe me.... thank you again !

Old 11-18-2017, 11:39 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemi View Post
Thank you so much for your helpful response jribe...
We are leaning towards the Ridgefield area as the new housing helps us feel that we may not have expenses in maintaining an older home. While this may not be true, I guess being the first one to live in the home makes it feel that way

What might be those commute times to Salmon Creek from Ridgefield and it is nice to know that they won't be too long should I find employment there. I guess for myself, I enjoy a shopping environment whereas my husbands priority that would be ranked #9 on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the highest...
I commute from Camas to Ridgefield on a daily basis.

My house to the I-205 Bridge = 10 min
205 Bridge to Salmon Creek = 10 min
Salmon Creek to Ridgefield = 10 min

There is also a Costco on Padden Parkway which is the next exit south on 205 from Salmon Creek. It takes me EXACTLY 15 min to get there from Ridgefield in the afternoons when I stop there for gas or groceries on the way home from work.

Note: I have two colleagues who commute from Portland to Ridgefield which is a total reverse commute. One drives from near the LLoyd Center and says his am commute is 28 min. The other drives from SW Portland near Barber Blvd and says she has just over a 30 min commute in the am. Afternoons are of course much worse. But going in the other direction would double those times at least.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:59 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
yeah i agree w/texas- typically salmon creek to ridgefield is around 10-15 min on hwy or 20 min on the backroads.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I commute from Camas to Ridgefield on a daily basis.

My house to the I-205 Bridge = 10 min
205 Bridge to Salmon Creek = 10 min
Salmon Creek to Ridgefield = 10 min

There is also a Costco on Padden Parkway which is the next exit south on 205 from Salmon Creek. It takes me EXACTLY 15 min to get there from Ridgefield in the afternoons when I stop there for gas or groceries on the way home from work.

Note: I have two colleagues who commute from Portland to Ridgefield which is a total reverse commute. One drives from near the LLoyd Center and says his am commute is 28 min. The other drives from SW Portland near Barber Blvd and says she has just over a 30 min commute in the am. Afternoons are of course much worse. But going in the other direction would double those times at least.
Those commutes times are nice and aren't an issue at all. That's really nice to know .... seems Salmon Creek is an area I should be seeking employment in as the commute sounds reasonable.
Thank you texasdiver !

Old 11-19-2017, 11:51 AM

467 posts, read 526,074 times
Ridgefield has a satellite Vancouver Clinic planned to be built in a couple of years. So far there has been no groundbreaking, but the location will be at the I5 junction. Maybe someday you could both live and work in Ridgefield.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
Ridgefield has a satellite Vancouver Clinic planned to be built in a couple of years. So far there has been no groundbreaking, but the location will be at the I5 junction. Maybe someday you could both live and work in Ridgefield.

How awesome would that be ! That would be like putting in the last piece of the puzzle...
Thank you Jane917 !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area