Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:49 AM

269 posts, read 295,305 times

Advertisements

I tend to side with those who opine that 98% of Vancouver residents have no real sense of ‘hip’.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...er-washington/

I reckon the criteria were met more as a function of Portland costs driving businesses across the river for lower overhead.

But it was amusing to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 03:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,931,652 times
I wouldn't consider the city as a whole hip. It is true there are a lot of breweries here. Thrift stores? Really, we have that many?

Once you get out of the old city, the food choices become chains, chains and more chains.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:27 PM

5,567 posts, read 4,523,965 times
Vancouver is in America?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:49 PM

269 posts, read 295,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Vancouver is in America?

Yes, obviously.

Was it too challenging for you to figure that out from the part about across the river from Portland ???

Or by the forum in which you wrote???

Old 12-07-2017, 07:00 PM

5,567 posts, read 4,523,965 times
Interesting.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:11 PM

5,291 posts, read 7,585,880 times
One of the ranking metrics was vegan food. I can't think of a single vegan restaurant in all of Vancouver. There are dozens of them all over Portland. But Vancouver? The best you can do is order vegan menu items at places like Cafe Yum. Or go to a Thai restaurant and order the Pad Thai with tofu or something. And that's pretty weak.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,505,129 times
Vancouver does have an endless supply of Hipster wannabees only moments away, so there is definitely 'growth potential'! (+ we are 420 friendly and still 'nearly' affordable)

Thrift Stores?

You want to see thrift stores... come to my TX location!!! (True... it will NEVER be Hip.. but it is a short drive to Austin if you need a dose of Hip.

Vancouver (WA) will remain the same... a reprieve (but a refuge) from Hip (next door, but THERE is too expensive to truly exist as a Hipster).

Wonder if the proponents of the increased minimum wages in PNW are tooting the horn..."Look what we have done to cost of RENTS and managing the expense of your employee overhead!"

instead... MUCH higher rents and less employment per establishment (no surprise)

The NATIONAL starting wage is still $7.25 Seattle is 2x and we have to wonder why rents are high? (And workers have to flee to Vancouver ($11.50)...)

Old 12-08-2017, 01:19 PM

469 posts, read 518,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
One of the ranking metrics was vegan food. I can't think of a single vegan restaurant in all of Vancouver. There are dozens of them all over Portland. But Vancouver? The best you can do is order vegan menu items at places like Cafe Yum. Or go to a Thai restaurant and order the Pad Thai with tofu or something. And that's pretty weak.
I'm not a Vegan, quite the opposite actually but I'm told the The Mighty Bowl is vegan, and my Vegan friends in the downtown area are quite happy with the Vegan options.

My Dr. who has an office in downtown is also Vegan () I just cant escape lol.

Are thrift stores same as Antique stores, if so downtown has tons! They also have the Pawn Shops, does that count?

Old 12-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,505,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
... Pawn Shops, does that count?
Pawn shops for Hipster 'thrift'... don't think so

Hipsters seek retro garb, Pawn is HOT stuff... As a kid, I would accompany my dad (contractor) to the Pawn Shops every Monday morning to BUY BACK our tools, which our construction crews had Pawned for weekend beer money. (We did commercial construction in 5 states, so it was a LONG trip! to get everyone 'equipped' & working again...).

I got over 30,000 miles driving experience during my 'driver's permit' era, almost all of it was driving 18 wheelers. (Not a Hipster career!, and certainly not a 420 Hipster work option)

Old 12-08-2017, 05:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,931,652 times
Well, we do have loads od Pawn shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area