Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 AM

5 posts, read 3,547 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Lots of informative threads here. Curious about people’s thoguhts on our situation

We have a very healthy combined income ($500,000) and are looking to move to greater Portland area. Two kids (11 months old and a 3 year old). Looking to eventually buy, but rent first as to get a lay of the land. Looking at Camas as one option given good school ratings, as well as Bethany.

We work in an industry where commuting will not be a factor. We do not want to waste money on private schools that could be invested into our children’s future college funds.

We want the best of both worlds: quick outdoor access, good weekend city access, large yard in a more established neighborhood (vs even kinda rural-ish).

We’re resettling in the PNW after years of training and being forced around to different parts of the country. Not even considering Seattle (heard it’s too much like LA traffic wise).

Any feelers about Camas vs Bethany vs say, Washougal?

Thanks for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 03:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,583 posts, read 57,526,122 times
1) what are your specific interests (biking / hiking / photo / water sports?)
2) how engaged do you want your kids to be in extra activities and what type? (Music / drama / gym / swimming / STEM...)
3) Where are you from (generally) to get an idea of where you will fit (generally)

I would happily grab a view home just south of Sharp / New Camas 'project based school', There are some BIG lots in that region (and small ones too). But it is really a sweet spot (QFC is 5 minutes (nice grocery) and most other stuff within 10 min, including PDX). LaCamas Shores will do, but most residents are not too friendly and my 'worker bee' friends who live there get 'shunned' from neighborhood events. But there are many nearby home location choices.

Hockinson Hills and Autumn Hills are also nice, but I like my commute (one traffic light between me and PDX). I go there a lot! (leaving in 20 minutes, had 6 trips in last 2 weeks - kids (and disabled parent) are finally GONE from home (a 'temporary' season of 'holiday', after 40 yrs of DUTIES))

If you are working from home... a View is wonderful, you have more time to enjoy it!

Find a home that is your 'Retreat', settle for nothing less There are plenty of options. Keep your commute SHORT when with family.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:39 PM

5,305 posts, read 7,590,490 times
Camas over Bethany if you aren't commuting.

The whole greater Beaverton area goes into gridlock twice a day. Just getting in your car and going for groceries or trying to get to your kids school can be a hassle because of all the commuter gridlock.

In Camas, traffic is NEVER an issue unless you are trying to get to Portland and then only on the west bound section of highway 14 between Camas and the I-205 bridge is actually congested. but you can easily avoid this in your daily life if you aren't trying to get to Portland.

With your income and ability to work from home you should probably also put Lake Oswego and West Linn on your list of places to consider. They are more "old money" than Camas and more univerally upscale compared to Camas which has pockets of modest blue collar neighborhoods and industry, although that is changing.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,562,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulia View Post
Any feelers about Camas vs Bethany vs say, Washougal?

Based on all you wrote, and wanting the best schools, definitely Camas. And maybe go for a view home, with the main part of the house giving unobstructed views of the Columbia and Mt. Hood. Can be breathtaking to see when the skies are clear (usually late spring, summer, early fall, rarely in winter).

Also good suggestion to consider Oswego and Linn. The lakefront homes in Oswego are amazing inside and out. Only problem is the Oregon 9.9% income tax -- that's very high. You could fund your kids' college educations on what you'll pay in state income tax, so I, for one, would do everything in my power to avoid it and reside in income-tax free Washington state. But you may have different priorities.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,583 posts, read 57,526,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Based on all you wrote, and wanting the best schools, definitely Camas. And maybe go for a view home, with the main part of the house giving unobstructed views of the Columbia and Mt. Hood. Can be breathtaking to see when the skies are clear (usually late spring, summer, early fall, rarely in winter).

Also good suggestion to consider Oswego and Linn. The lakefront homes in Oswego are amazing inside and out. Only problem is the Oregon 9.9% income tax -- that's very high. You could fund your kids' college educations on what you'll pay in state income tax, so I, for one, would do everything in my power to avoid it and reside in income-tax free Washington state. But you may have different priorities.
Yes, thus consider the whole picture,

If your kids are into serious music, art, drama, swimming. You will find yourself in Oregon nearly daily. My sis did it from Hockinson for her 3 kids (who are now 5+ yrs beyond their college / conservancy training) One returned to Portland for career / teaching music at private U.

All of her kids also benefited from FREE FT College in WA instead of HS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

so... there are +/- to everything. But a Camas centric location is a WHOLE lot easier (save 30+ minutes / trip to PDX) than rural Hockinson (10 min BEYOND). Sis kids wanted Horses and riding stables in addition to Portland Youth Symphony and such. Sis is worn out and as an empty nester followed my recommendation to relocate to Ft Vancouver Historical trust area.! She and family is very fortunate to have not have auto accidents in complicated commutes on rural roads (worth avoiding if possible, lost (2) wonderful HS girls in our youth group to Camas rural roads, Mt Livingston and Washougal River Road)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area