Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:29 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times

Advertisements

The New York Times just published an incredibly detailed precinct level political map of the 2016 election. For political junkies it is rather fascinating to drill down and examine voting patterns in specific neighborhoods. As it turns out, most all of Vancouver proper and Camas are blue while the surrounding more suburban and rural areas like Ridgefield, Battle Ground, Hopkinson, and Yakolt are red. On balance, Clark County as a whole split almost exactly 50/50 between Clinton and Trump. Clinton won the county 92,757 to 92,441 for Trump, which is a difference of about 0.1% or about as close to a tie as you can get in politics.

For those considering the greater Vancouver area this is an interesting resource to see the political persuasion of each neighborhood.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...inct-maps.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
For new bee's... (and 10,000 other future readers...)
There is more to consider if you are concerned about politics and living in Clark County WA.

1) Border county, next to a metropolis in other state (little / no WA news / no exposure to WA State issues)
2) Quite varied political interests (and changing demographic) Be prepared for this, it sure was a wake-up to those of us previously living in rural Colorado! Clark County was AG / Farm centric 50 yrs ago (prune capital!) things were different then
3) Clark is one of the 36 counties in WA that 'don't count'... (I.e. (3) of 39 counties can control the electorate. Those counties, their media and interests are not too near SW WA)

Good for some to join the battle, but it is already decided.

Enjoy the quest.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For new bee's... (and 10,000 other future readers...)
There is more to consider if you are concerned about politics and living in Clark County WA.

1) Border county, next to a metropolis in other state (little / no WA news / no exposure to WA State issues)
2) Quite varied political interests (and changing demographic) Be prepared for this, it sure was a wake-up to those of us previously living in rural Colorado! Clark County was AG / Farm centric 50 yrs ago (prune capital!) things were different then
3) Clark is one of the 36 counties in WA that 'don't count'... (I.e. (3) of 39 counties can control the electorate. Those counties, their media and interests are not too near SW WA)

Good for some to join the battle, but it is already decided.

Enjoy the quest.
Actually the WA 3rd Congressional Dist is looking to be one of the most competitive in the nation and could actually be pivotal in who controls Congress in 2018. So Clark County Voters could be among the most important in the nation this year

Old 07-27-2018, 03:50 PM

Political battleground races (with national influence) are always very bad for the voters / district / region.

The outside money and influence (buying votes) will be far from supporting a 'democracy'.

Very EZ to sway an election in USA (uninformed electorate... and unwilling to care / no-consequence (the majority do not own businesses or have to meet payroll and commercial loan obligations)

Follow the money, follow 'Hollywood' politics. There are better ways to run an election than by spending $$$ on capturing the media attention. (different topic for a different time in USA history (future))

IIRC, the 'right-to-die' (assisted suicide) WA vote was >90% funded from OUTSIDE WA.

Be informed if you plan on voting (good idea, seldom followed)... too bad 'elections' does not have a very simple knowledge 'test' to pre-qualify voters.

Sad

Old 07-27-2018, 04:30 PM

So which is it Stealth?

Clark County is bad because it isn’t one of the 3 counties that control state politics? (I’m assuming those are Pierce, King, and Snohomish counties?), or

Clark County is bad because it is a political battle ground district this year?

In any event, I do think you can tell a lot about an area by looking at how it voted. On the NYT map you can drill down to an individual street and click on that exact precinct to see how your neighbors or potential neighbors voted last election. I find that very informative.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:16 PM

Both: (all three)
1) Political battleground is bad / sad / unproductive fluff for Clark County (and detracts from candidates who are purposed to serve their electorate)
2) Not being able to contribute to WA politics / State decisions is a disadvantage for Clark County
3) Being out of the WA political news / initiatives / awareness is a disadvantage to Clark County electorate (who by-and-large get their news from Oregon), Radio / TV / newspapers / culture / concerns. Businesses and employers are forced to live by the lop-sided' WA initiatives, thus 200- 300 WA employers, farms, and businesses / yr have to move their companies out of WA and into ID or elsewhere.

I really find the NYT map very distasteful / irrelevant since it ONLY polls 2016 Presidential vote. POTUS is very far removed from the local issues / national contribution / daily job of our 3rd Congressional Dist US Representative. Party Line votes are a disservice and do NOT represent the work on our region's behalf by our elected local US Rep. (or the aggregate 'issues' vote of the district.)

Sounds like Hollywood level politics to me.. (i.e. popularity vs. educated / informed / purposed).
"Oh... your district voted for Hillary or Trump, so... you ALL think like Hillary / Trump and your elected US Representative will act / think / vote strictly as their party dictates. "
In general, the 3rd District has had some very interesting and often useful candidates (including the current Rep). But, When outside money buys the election, I don't expect the same level of service to our community. (A party-line puppet will be placed in the position).

Old 07-27-2018, 05:40 PM

147 posts, read 150,805 times
Politics nerd here.
I think calling WA 3 one of the most competitive races in the nation is pushing it a bit. Cook Report, Sabato, Real Clear Politics, and Inside Elections all have it as Likely or Solid Republican. Yes, lately there has been internal democratic polling that show Long within 5pts but that's internal and still 5pts. I think if the House goes to the Democrats then Long could win, otherwise probably not.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
Politics nerd here.
I think calling WA 3 one of the most competitive races in the nation is pushing it a bit. Cook Report, Sabato, Real Clear Politics, and Inside Elections all have it as Likely or Solid Republican. Yes, lately there has been internal democratic polling that show Long within 5pts but that's internal and still 5pts. I think if the House goes to the Democrats then Long could win, otherwise probably not.
You are probably right. I do think if it ever flips it will be this year. More Portlanders and Californians keep moving in and this feels like a wave election.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
You are probably right. I do think if it ever flips it will be this year. More Portlanders and Californians keep moving in and this feels like a wave election.
sad... speaks of Theatrical (bought) Politics, rather than voting for the best, most dedicated, informed and valuable to the region candidate....

3rd District WA has been Demo controlled for 47 of the last 58 yrs... +/-, but never EQUAL

Clark County WA will go the way of all Political Battlegrounds
(and that will not be positive for the people who worked for generations to build the community so many were / are at the moment, able to benefit from. )

Outside influence from special interest political groups creates tension... (as well as destroys communities).
I'm glad we don't have the angry and disillusioned young men with guns, that Colorado has. (as far as we know )

The US political system has become easy to scam / direct, probably has outlived it's usefulness and adherence to it's designed purpose. Stuff changes in 250 yrs, and technology and media can be used to disrupt the election process. Vast monies spent on 'advertising' that dwarf the very programs that could have SOLVED the issues but don't have time to be addressed... due to the 'media circus' candidates must perform for.

Tragic, it is such a 'game'. Many lives will be destroyed (businesses will be forced to close / or leave). You will note the change when you look back in about 30 yrs
Taxes will increase

Good thing (at the moment)... a lot less vacant business / commercial space. Probably highest commercial occupancy for downtown Vancouver since the 1970's. But still plenty of empty spaces (and more coming),

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 07-27-2018 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-28-2018, 02:19 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,281 times
Quote:
1) Border county, next to a metropolis in other state (little / no WA news / no exposure to WA State issues
Consider this a plus; fine with us to be considered a suburb of the Portland-metro area. Great place to reside near. Though if the federal government approves this stupid I-5 and I-205 tolling, I may have a different opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area