Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 01:21 PM

467 posts, read 526,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
Thanks, Jane917--very helpful info. We spent some time in downtown, and quite liked it. (Ate at the Mexican restaurant.) After all the bustle of the new shopping malls and all the construction between I-5 and downtown, the contrast is pretty extreme.

The house we looked at is close enough you could hit the tracks with an apple, so it's still a bit concerning.

Texasdiver, thanks for putting all this in context for me. I grew up in a place with a lot of train traffic. As you point out, speed and the sounding of horns makes a huge difference, so your info is very useful.
There are plenty of houses for sale in Ridgefield that have great views of the Wildlife Refuge. If you have have been here to visit you know we have plenty of new construction for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 12:43 PM

89 posts, read 186,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
There are plenty of houses for sale in Ridgefield that have great views of the Wildlife Refuge. If you have have been here to visit you know we have plenty of new construction for sale.
Indeed--an almost frightening amount of new construction!

Old 04-19-2020, 01:59 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Indeed--an almost frightening amount of new construction!
Ridgefield is a nice place and there is an astonishing amount of construction going on out there. If you want new construction in some sort of new master-planned development then Ridgefield is your place.

On the other hand, I would have serious second thoughts about moving there if you have school-age kids. They just had one (or two?) big school construction bonds narrowly fail and were already way behind the curve in terms of keeping up with school growth compared to other parts of the county. Now that we are crashing into a coronavirus economic depression it may be a LONG time until folks out there are willing to pay for a big new school construction bond.

That's what happened in 2007. Both Ridgefield and Hockinson has bonds about the same time. Hockinson passed theirs and built a new High School. Ridgefield's narrowly failed and it set them back 10 years because the recession hit right after and it wasn't until about 2016 or so that that they passed another big construction bond.

It might be another decade or more until they get caught back up at this point and hour school-age kids will be long gone by then after suffering through a decade of portable classrooms and other lack of facilities.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:56 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Ridgefield is a nice place and there is an astonishing amount of construction going on out there. If you want new construction in some sort of new master-planned development then Ridgefield is your place.

On the other hand, I would have serious second thoughts about moving there if you have school-age kids. They just had one (or two?) big school construction bonds narrowly fail and were already way behind the curve in terms of keeping up with school growth compared to other parts of the county. Now that we are crashing into a coronavirus economic depression it may be a LONG time until folks out there are willing to pay for a big new school construction bond.

That's what happened in 2007. Both Ridgefield and Hockinson has bonds about the same time. Hockinson passed theirs and built a new High School. Ridgefield's narrowly failed and it set them back 10 years because the recession hit right after and it wasn't until about 2016 or so that that they passed another big construction bond.

It might be another decade or more until they get caught back up at this point and hour school-age kids will be long gone by then after suffering through a decade of portable classrooms and other lack of facilities.
With regards to Hockinson, we are very glad they've invested in the schools. And the overall staff does a great job with the kids as well. It's a smaller district that feels very tight knit.

While Ridgefield construction is booming, it's also booming out here in Hockinson and on the northern Union High boundary which we're right on the boarder of. So folks have a lot of choices in the greater Vancouver area if they're interested in newer construction with school-age kids like we were.

Derek

Old 04-23-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I'm generally not interested in houses in developments, which makes it a pain to search Ridgefield real estate.

We also don't have children, so schools are not a personal issue for us.

However, I usually vote for school bonds because I think education is important and I like to live in an educated community.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
I'm generally not interested in houses in developments, which makes it a pain to search Ridgefield real estate.

However, I usually vote for school bonds because I think education is important and I like to live in an educated community.
I usually do the elementary math BEFORE I vote for a school bond. (just to be 'responsible to my community, schools, and neighbors), which I wish (hope and pray) are an 'educated electorate'. (Not a 'sheep-led-to-slaughter' electorate)
  1. Financial accountability history of district
  2. Current and past levies and how they were ACTUALLY used and paid for
  3. $ / student
  4. Academic measures
  5. Graduation rate
  6. # who go on to graduate from higher ed
  7. # of students who return to the community to serve others

It is very easy to search all of Clark County using GIS. I seldom make an offer on something that is already for sale (that's way too late to make an offer). I prefer to drum up my own deals in the neighborhoods I care to invest. There are plenty. Gotta dig. (as always, the good opportunities are never blatant or easy to find)

This is the week to be signing papers (before property taxes are due). I find my places Oct - Feb, then seal the deals March and April. May and June is a great time to 'prep the properties' for my plan B.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:49 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:

Ridgefield is three completely different categories of homes:

1. Exurban rural homes, often on acreage. These range from double-wides to million dollar mansions and are mostly scattered in the southern end. Lots of these are horse properties or little hobby farms. At one time this was mostly dairy farms.

2. Older homes in the town of Ridgefield proper. Lots of these are modest 1950s era ranches and such.

3. Newly developed subdivisions. These are mostly the same builders and floor plans that you see in comparable priced subdivisions everywhere from Tigard and Happy Valley to Camas.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:46 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:

If you don't have those goals or concerns, I would take a look at Washougal. I was just paddlleboarding at Lacamas Lake today with a guy who has lived in the hills of Washougal and now closer into town. He sold his acreage property in the hills with views to be a bit closer in and not have to deal with more snow in winter. There are pros/cons to owning more land including more upkeep which people sometimes grow tired off. At least that was a contributing factor to the sale of their home.

Derek

Old 04-29-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It is very easy to search all of Clark County using GIS. I seldom make an offer on something that is already for sale (that's way too late to make an offer). I prefer to drum up my own deals in the neighborhoods I care to invest. There are plenty. Gotta dig. (as always, the good opportunities are never blatant or easy to find)

This is the week to be signing papers (before property taxes are due). I find my places Oct - Feb, then seal the deals March and April. May and June is a great time to 'prep the properties' for my plan B.
Thanks, Stealth, that's great advice!

Old 04-29-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Ridgefield is three completely different categories of homes:

1. Exurban rural homes, often on acreage. These range from double-wides to million dollar mansions and are mostly scattered in the southern end. Lots of these are horse properties or little hobby farms. At one time this was mostly dairy farms.

2. Older homes in the town of Ridgefield proper. Lots of these are modest 1950s era ranches and such.

3. Newly developed subdivisions. These are mostly the same builders and floor plans that you see in comparable priced subdivisions everywhere from Tigard and Happy Valley to Camas.
Well said! Yes, we're not keen on 3, though I can understand how some people might be.

Ridgefield proper is quite attractive to us...but the housing stock in a small town is, well, small.

We've seen a couple of wonderful places in your exurban rural home category, but the best ones seem to sell quickly.

Of course, with Covid-19, the market must be a little unusual. It seems as if many people are electing not to put their houses on the market until things settle down a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area