Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:06 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,723,606 times

Advertisements

I had never really thought of Vancouver as being part of the Willamette Valley. It always seemed to end for me at about the Terwilliger Curves when you are entering Portland. But it seems that the EPA considers Vancouver to be part of the Willamette Valley Ecoregion. See this map:

If not the Willamette Valley, what do we actually call the lowlands in Clark County that lie between the Columbia and the foothills of the Cascades? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 12:04 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
The Willamette Valley is defined by the Willamette River. So Vancouver, WA should not be included, as it is clearly north of the Willamette River. I think this is pretty simple.

As for a definition of the area north, I would use the "lower Columbia", as the river tends to come to an end just west of Vancouver and Astoria.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:54 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
It is the same climate zone, so, yes, part of the Willamette Valley region. The Willamette River has emptied into the Columbia by then, but since the weather/growing season/plant zone is identical, it is, for all uses, part of the Willamette Valley. It was also formed by the same geomorphic processes (volcanic, river erosion, Missoula floods, etc).
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
No it is not since Vancouver is not part of the watershed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...er_map_new.png

Old 11-26-2018, 10:27 AM

1,517 posts, read 989,091 times
I was taught in WA history/geography class that Vancouver is in the southern Puget Sound Lowlands region. Actually I would think it shares land between it and the far southwestern part of the Cascade Range, depending which part of town you're in.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,723,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
No it is not since Vancouver is not part of the watershed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...er_map_new.png
A valley and watershed are not synonomous. Something like 70% of the states of Oregon and Washington and over 90% of the state of Idaho fall into the Columbia River watershed but they are obviously not all one valley.

If you look at the actual topography of the region then it appears that the north end of the valley extends across the Columbia to cover most of Clark County. The Missoula Floods at the end of the Pleistocene changed the course of the Columbia many times and at one point or another the river may have cut across the north side of Clark County in a more direct path to the Longview area.

The point is that colloquially speaking the Willamette Valley is generally understood to end south of Portland and doesn't include the Tualatin River watershed. But geographically speaking one could easily include the lowlands part of Clark County as the EPA has done in defining the Willamette Valley ecoregion.

Myself, I have never heard of Clark County referred to as part of the Willamette Valley. But I have never actually heard a name used for the valley floor that Vancouver sits on (and it is indeed a valley floor bordered by the foothills of the Cascades on one side and the Columbia on the other.

I have also never heard it referred to as Puget Sound lowlands region. We aren't part of any Puget Sound watershed. You don't reach the Puget Sound watershed until just south of Olympia

Old 11-26-2018, 03:22 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,919,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
A valley and watershed are not synonomous. Something like 70% of the states of Oregon and Washington and over 90% of the state of Idaho fall into the Columbia River watershed but they are obviously not all one valley.

If you look at the actual topography of the region then it appears that the north end of the valley extends across the Columbia to cover most of Clark County. The Missoula Floods at the end of the Pleistocene changed the course of the Columbia many times and at one point or another the river may have cut across the north side of Clark County in a more direct path to the Longview area.

The point is that colloquially speaking the Willamette Valley is generally understood to end south of Portland and doesn't include the Tualatin River watershed. But geographically speaking one could easily include the lowlands part of Clark County as the EPA has done in defining the Willamette Valley ecoregion.

Myself, I have never heard of Clark County referred to as part of the Willamette Valley. But I have never actually heard a name used for the valley floor that Vancouver sits on (and it is indeed a valley floor bordered by the foothills of the Cascades on one side and the Columbia on the other.

I have also never heard it referred to as Puget Sound lowlands region. We aren't part of any Puget Sound watershed. You don't reach the Puget Sound watershed until just south of Olympia
Vancouver is part of the lower Columbia river, which is everything west of the gorge and includes the northernmost parts of the Willamette.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,091 times
Quote:

Yeah, I remember that struck me as a bit odd as well. The filmstrip from the mid 1980s that Mrs. P-- M-- showed us in the late 1990s also horribly oversimplified Washington's regionalization by dividing the state into five (?!?) very broadly-defined regions. It showed the PS Lowlands region as stretching from Canada down to the river. Apparently that was where she got her information from as I tried to challenge it by saying we're in the western Columbia River lowlands and Cascade Range, and true to the Cascade Jr. High mentality then (and maybe even today, because old habits die hard), was promptly shot down as "wrong" and "disrupting the lesson".

Well, you can't blame a guy for trying.

(In fact that same nice bright red/pink filmstrip series made its way around to me just a couple years ago and the brilliant blue and green scenery we kids enjoyed 20 years ago have completely faded into oblivion. Eastmancolor sucks.)

Old 11-29-2018, 08:40 AM

127 posts, read 95,043 times
OP. No, Vancouver is not part of the Willamette Valley. I has seen it described in terms of geography as the Western Lowlands.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,986,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
OP. No, Vancouver is not part of the Willamette Valley.
But you can see it from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area