Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Well, new plan. Looks like Kaplan has a English language academy in the Pearl District that gets good reviews. And there is another well reviewed language school in the Lloyd Center.

We don't live all that far from the C-TRAN transit center at Fishers Landing. They have morning and evening express buses to downtown about every 15 min. We can loan him a bike that he can use to ride down there and lock it up then take the bus into Portland every day. Or if he is lazy he can uber to the transit center. On days I'm not working I can drop him off as well. So I don't think getting him a car is going to be that urgent. He's coming from Santiago which is a city larger than Houston that is covered by a massive bus and subway network so he will most certainly be able to navigate C-TRAN.
This is what I was going to suggest. There must be transit in the area that goes to Vancouver or Portland. Otherwise, Enterprise is the cheapest, and its rents vary; in high-demand areas the rates are higher than in outlying areas, so which office of theirs you choose makes a big difference in how much you'll pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 07:42 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
CTran via bus from Fisher / West Camas = 30 min which will be fine for a student as driving + Parking at Clark (crowded) will be 15 - 20 min.
My kids tutored while at CC as RS students. (Big demand)
Wow, only 30 minutes to Clark College? That definitely sounds like a viable option. Glad to hear about the big demand for tutoring.

Quote:
They did wildland firefighting and AK fishing in summers ~ $30 - $40 k for 6 -8 weeks if experienced / holding certs. (but VERY dangerous and not too healthy!)

Winters were ski and Snowboard instructors, year-round ran businesses and PT jobs and built homes. Recreational stock traders (where they did best).

Cars... rest assured I am not getting $3000 cars for $35. I prefer junkers since WA trained me well, when they based license fees on value of vehicle. I had pristine new cars when I arrived, and when told the license fees would be $600+/ yr... I sold them and have been happily driving junkers ever since (38 yrs).

Towing redemption costs $300 - $800, so many cars get left in the hands of towing company (They can sell after 30 days on mechanics lien). They also sell cars for many charities.

As part of home schooling each kid got a $35 car and had to figure out how to get it running by college (Age 16). They succeeded and all are still running fine 16 yrs later. Tho the kids are much smarter than me... so I drive their old cars and they have newer cars + a '66 Porsche 911 (I don't get to drive that one ) (Pay back)
That sounds like a great project to learn some mechanical skills. It would make an excellent class. Though I bet some HOAs in the burbs would not take too kindly to long term junker repairs in the front of the house. lol

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area