Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:24 PM

10 posts, read 5,520 times

Advertisements

Im am in the very early stages of looking at a possible move to Washington.

In June of 2021 my current mortgage will be paid off and Im feeling like given the amount of equity I currently have its time to start thinking about the next move. I like to do things slow so I need a good bit of time to make sure its the right move and financials is the first part.

I Plan to keep my current job.

If one lives in Washington or more specifically Vancouver but works remote in another state as long as you dont set foot outside of Washington to work, you don't pay income tax, is that the way it goes? There are no local hidden penalties or anything like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 03:26 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Yep, that's the way it goes. Worked remotely for companies with headquarters in Ohio and California. No income tax or any surprises. Other than that the water bill here is much higher than expected.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yep, that's the way it goes. Worked remotely for companies with headquarters in Ohio and California. No income tax or any surprises. Other than that the water bill here is much higher than expected.

Oh big water bills, good to know!

Old 04-02-2019, 04:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A hui hou View Post
Oh big water bills, good to know!
but unlimited rainwater recovery allowed!

Put in a 20,000gal underground tank and keep your bill low. (Or live rural on a private well)

Basically, you dig a basement sized hole, put in a pond liner and a submersible pump, stack the hole full of
Aqua Blocks ( Or plastic milk cartons), wrap up blocks like a Xmas package with the pond liner, backfill.

add a prefilter (settling tanks with organic material to treat run-off)

Old 04-02-2019, 05:54 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
They keep track.

My wife works for a health care network that has clinics in both Vancouver and Portland. She is based out of a clinic in Vancouver and does all her actual work there. But she occasionally gets called into Portland for corporate staff meetings and training sessions and what not. This year she wound up with about $6000 of reported income in Oregon with tax withheld. I forgot the exact amount but it was just below the threshold for filing in OR so I didn't bother. We weren't getting any of it back anyway.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
but unlimited rainwater recovery allowed!

Put in a 20,000gal underground tank and keep your bill low. (Or live rural on a private well)

Basically, you dig a basement sized hole, put in a pond liner and a submersible pump, stack the hole full of
Aqua Blocks ( Or plastic milk cartons), wrap up blocks like a Xmas package with the pond liner, backfill.

add a prefilter (settling tanks with organic material to treat run-off)

I will definitely be reading up on this. Since this next house will be the forever home I want to save anywhere I can as time rolls on.

As I look at home listings Im not seeing too many homes with solar. Is it just too cloudy not worth the money?

Old 04-03-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
They keep track.

My wife works for a health care network that has clinics in both Vancouver and Portland. She is based out of a clinic in Vancouver and does all her actual work there. But she occasionally gets called into Portland for corporate staff meetings and training sessions and what not. This year she wound up with about $6000 of reported income in Oregon with tax withheld. I forgot the exact amount but it was just below the threshold for filing in OR so I didn't bother. We weren't getting any of it back anyway.

Good to know!

Old 04-03-2019, 09:11 AM

472 posts, read 525,861 times
Water and electricity concerns, you must be coming from California?

I work remote. I don't have any issues with keeping track of where I work. If your company is based in Oregon then you might have similar issues as texasdiver stated. I hear this from a lot of my friends who work for a Portland based company but get to work remote.

With today's technology working remote is petty common and has its pro's and cons. A large number of the people I've met in the downtown area of Vancouver work from home.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
Water and electricity concerns, you must be coming from California?

I work remote. I don't have any issues with keeping track of where I work. If your company is based in Oregon then you might have similar issues as texasdiver stated. I hear this from a lot of my friends who work for a Portland based company but get to work remote.

With today's technology working remote is petty common and has its pro's and cons. A large number of the people I've met in the downtown area of Vancouver work from home.

Im actually from Vermont we are pretty alternative energy conscious by nature.

My company is rather large and has hubs all over the US but CA would be the closest to Washington.

We have a lot of remote people but I personally dont know any working remote in none income tax states.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Electricity is pretty cheap here due to so much of it being hydroelectric so return on investment on solar takes even longer to get. Though Clark PUD actually has a sizable solar array.

Regarding this being your forever home. WA is a great place for your earning years. But it’s downright mediocre for retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area