Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:54 AM

77 posts, read 61,997 times

Advertisements

Good luck with the move, Derek. Always exhausting, but exciting at the same time! Congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Mtn Surfer - I'm sure you will add to the community you're moving in to. You're smart and experienced enough to add to the community in southwest Washington you're moving in to. Welcome to Washington state!
I appreciate the welcome, elkotronics!

Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My sense is that more people come here than leave. Of course there are some who live here because of a job transfer, then move on for another job. In my neighborhood, there is a steady trickle of move outs and move ins from spring through summer. Several neighbors have left, to be replaced. But the biggest change I sense is how the Great Recession caused homes to become rental properties. Some of the instability here is caused by that.

I do know that our traffic is different than it was when we moved here in 2012. And it continues to grow in volume.
I get that same sense. It just makes me wonder when I see so many homes for sale. Maybe some are simply moving to a different neighborhood vs. another area entirely.

Derek

Old 05-27-2019, 12:55 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
I imagine part of it is that the older housing stock here isn’t that great. Lots of 3bed/1 bath bungalows in need of major rehabs. 1 bath houses aren’t something most families want anymore. So they’re cashing out equity due to all this growth and rolling it into a nicer place.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:51 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I imagine part of it is that the older housing stock here isn’t that great. Lots of 3bed/1 bath bungalows in need of major rehabs. 1 bath houses aren’t something most families want anymore. So they’re cashing out equity due to all this growth and rolling it into a nicer place.
Yeah, that's the kind of post WW-II house I grew up in down in Eugene.

I'm kind of curious to see what happens here in Clark County with all the older suburban sprawl that is closer in to the bridges and downtown area. Whether younger Portlanders start buying up those dated mid-century ranch places and renovating them as has happened in many closer-in suburbs in California. Or if it just tails off into decline.

If light rail ever gets pushed across the I-5 bridge and C-Tran develops a good BRT feeder system it would open up a lot of the older parts of Vancouver to reliable transit commutes to downtown Portland which would make those properties more attractive.

Last edited by texasdiver; 05-27-2019 at 08:09 PM..

Old 05-29-2019, 05:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Well, the current population of Clark County is about 474,000 (easier to use the county than the city because of a bunch of annexations). But in 1990 it was less than half that, so a lot of the population is "recent" - that can give an area the feel of being somewhat transient, especially if people still identify with wherever they came from: be it Portland, Seattle or wherever.

Plus most of the news sources are based in Oregon and hit the Oregon-based stories a lot harder than Washington-related news, particularly politics.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 05-30-2019, 08:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I get that same sense. It just makes me wonder when I see so many homes for sale. Maybe some are simply moving to a different neighborhood vs. another area entirely.

Derek
or... as often the case.
1) Displaced property owners due to high property taxes, due to unreasonable property valuations (i.e. Californication / and continued 'promotion' that high RE valuations are in some way important or valuable )
2) Reap and escape (take the money and run)
3) Upward (?) mobility, again the concept that a more expensive property is 'better'
4) Cashing in on what is likely a high priced time to sell. (10 yrs into a RE cycle that is usually 7-8 yrs in duration)
5) Job / location changes (I have had friends who have moved AWAY from Vancouver / Camas (to other WA locations) for better schools for their kids, then returned when kids are out of school.)

Vancouver, WA has emerged as somewhat desirable housing location and a likely a continual monthly inflow of imports from OR and CA (Meaning... if a RE recession occurs / correction hits... Vancouver, WA should be short and less duration than other overpriced markets)

Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Increasing property values are a good thing, right up until retirement. Then you want to ‘reap and escape’ to somewhere more retirement friendly than WA.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:30 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

Derek
I honestly don't think there are that many houses for sale. At least not more than would be normal for a market this size. I'm too lazy to look up the actual statistics which are out there. But I don't see a sea of for sale signs around Vancouver and I don't think it's currently any sort of buyers market with an over supply of inventory.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:44 PM

220 posts, read 153,957 times
I've been here almost my whole life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area