Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:31 PM

220 posts, read 154,175 times

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/35428578791...650994&sfns=mo

Mountain View High School will be the hottest, newest, most modern campus pretty soon!

Evergreen highway has some of the highest property tax liabilities in SW washington, so it's been a long time coming.

Exciting news. I would rather see budget be allocated to adequate infrastructure and enough teachers to fulfill the needs of students.

The first of many fruit to drop soon.... Expect property values to go up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 10:17 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Very nice. The old school is by far the worst building in the district. I think they must have gotten the plans for the existing building for cheap from southern california school district where it is always warm because every classroom door in the existing building pretty much exits onto outdoor breezeways so the place is a mess in terms of heating and cooling and security for that matter. Why you would design a school in the northwest like that is beyond me.

I'll be curious to see if they make some of the same mistakes that they made with Union HS, trying to do the small schools campus layout, or if it reverts to a more traditional design.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:18 AM

Hmm interesting point regarding doors.

I didn't mind the old building, I just think that the administration could be significantly approved. I felt that many of the people with teaching jobs were there only to have a job, and only a few teachers were actually there to teach.

Hopefully this new building will improve the mental health of some of these teachers, but I am doubtful...

Frankly I don't think we even need a new building, but I like to see money spent on long lasting infrastructure rather than on temporary consumption. I think the new construction was not necessary, but is appropriate and will be a win if done right. I think the worst thing MVHS could do here is half ass the job.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:04 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
BG has some of those buildings without hallways as well. Has kids grabbing their lunch trays and walking it back to classrooms(due to overcrowding) exposed in the rain in winter.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:39 PM

Mountain View has covered walkways to every room except for the portables and 900 building I think

Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
https://www.facebook.com/35428578791...650994&sfns=mo

Mountain View High School will be the hottest, newest, most modern campus pretty soon!

The first of many fruit to drop soon.... Expect property values to go up
Just imagine how great it would be for USA benefit to return to providing Education in schools!

Many options would be of great benefit and we could sell 1/2 the schools, buses, and put the staff into productive employment!

Since we learn most by elementary and middle school age...
Offer (require) educational incentive and performance from Students / parents / teachers to go beyond..

How about some the options that have worked well in the past for 'incentives!"
  1. Dairy Farm Boarding school 7 days / week milking at 4:40 AM and 4:30 PM can be a very good use / discipline for 'high-energy' kids!
  2. Indentured servant-hood at age 13 (for girls and boys) Imagine what they could learn! (life long skills)
  3. REAL jobs available to youth (as in working hard and taking responsibility)
  4. Mentorships
  5. Art and Music understudies

Babysitting / childcare / need not be public responsibility, nor diversions for our educated professions.

Only in USA, can you languish in a failed EDU system for 22 yrs, then go get a job(?) and burden the employer with having to 'train' you... then not knowing what you really want / can perform proficiently or matching skillset / aptitude.

I would have to think very long and hard about how the extra infrastructure spent for failed HS's will improve the quality of graduates I have to hire, and jeopardize the success of my businesses. (for the privilege of paying L&S, SSI, B&O for the few woefully and pathetically educated (?) applicants who can make it to employment status)

Really sad for USA and for the students who have invested the time, but been robbed of their education.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Just imagine how great it would be for USA benefit to return to providing Education in schools!

Many options would be of great benefit and we could sell 1/2 the schools, buses, and put the staff into productive employment!

Since we learn most by elementary and middle school age...
Offer (require) educational incentive and performance from Students / parents / teachers to go beyond..

How about some the options that have worked well in the past for 'incentives!"
  1. Dairy Farm Boarding school 7 days / week milking at 4:40 AM and 4:30 PM can be a very good use / discipline for 'high-energy' kids!
  2. Indentured servant-hood at age 13 (for girls and boys) Imagine what they could learn! (life long skills)
  3. REAL jobs available to youth (as in working hard and taking responsibility)
  4. Mentorships
  5. Art and Music understudies

Babysitting / childcare / need not be public responsibility, nor diversions for our educated professions.

Only in USA, can you languish in a failed EDU system for 22 yrs, then go get a job(?) and burden the employer with having to 'train' you... then not knowing what you really want / can perform proficiently or matching skillset / aptitude.

I would have to think very long and hard about how the extra infrastructure spent for failed HS's will improve the quality of graduates I have to hire, and jeopardize the success of my businesses. (for the privilege of paying L&S, SSI, B&O for the few woefully and pathetically educated (?) applicants who can make it to employment status)

Really sad for USA and for the students who have invested the time, but been robbed of their education.
Well it's true that the entire public school system is a scam designed by the elite to dumb down people's independent thought and prepare them for work in their factories or cubicles. And even train more brainwashed teachers that don't know what they are really doing.

That's why school is 8 hours long, has 1 lunch, etc, etc, etc.... Basically you are trained to be like robots - any free thought is punished. Teacher doesn't like you? Detention. Talking out in class? Detention. Late to class? Detention. Brought allergy pills to school? Suspended.

Luckily they never destroyed my free will, but they did their very best and with 99% of people they succeed. That's why 99% are not in the 1%.

Frankly I think the entire public school system should be removed entirely, but I'd definitely rather have a building that can be re purposed for any use of the city in the future than more money in the pockets of people with teaching jobs.

But yes you are right - education is the biggest drain on the US economy right now. We have too many teachers which is a double edged sword; 1) Costs US More 2) We have less GDP because these teachers consumer money rather than produce it for the government.

But anything that gets money out of teachers pockets is a win in my book - it's literally just money down the drain.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:29 AM

Regarding your ideas, I disagree with the concept of forcing another human to do ANYTHING including "education".

But I agree that all "education", more like uneducation, funding should be entirely removed. ($800B)

Then we could give every student in America (50 million people) about $1,300/Mo for use in raising the child, providing private schooling, and basically just providing a superior childhood development opportunity that the piece of **** scumbag teachers at public schools could ever provide.

And even better the teachers can get real jobs.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:30 AM

You are correct though - the entire education system in America is the BIGGEST thing holding us back. Americans are some of the smartest people in the world at birth, but by the time they come out of highschool they are dumber than a rock - and we pay $800B for this! hahahahaha stupid ****ing teachers

Old 07-26-2019, 12:27 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
By what measure is the education system in this country "failing?"

High school graduation rates are increasing and at an all-time-high for every racial and ethnic subpopulation for which statistics are available.

Student performance on standardized math and English tests are increasing and at an all time high for every racial and ethnic subpopulation for which statistics are available.

Rates of teen pregnancy, drug abuse, and crime are plumeting.

The doom and gloom is something I hear all the time. And a lot of it is generated by people with alterior motives, like organizations promoting charter schools, for example. But by any rational measure, both the kids and the schools are mostly all right. I attended HS in Eugene in the late 70s and early 80s. Things were MUCH crazier back then.

That doesn't mean they don't deserve continual reinvestment. What is actually happening today is that wealthy communities are outpacing less affluent communities and the gap is widening. Visit Prairie HS (Battleground School District) and compare it to Camas HS, for example and tell me we are treating all our kids the same.

We are the wealthiest country in the history of planet earth. I think we can afford good schools for our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: