Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:33 AM

203 posts, read 163,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
For a quality hooded rain jacket, pick up one of Columbia's Outdry jackets. I generally stick to Columbia's Titanium Outdry line. They are excellent rainproof/waterproof jackets. You don't need to treat or condition the Outdry jackets, they are permanently waterproof fabrics/laminates, and the outermost layer is the waterproof layer (this is different than "waterproof" gear from years past). The Columbia gear will have robust zippers, seam seals and seam tape -- no rain/water is getting in, you'll be very happy with them. They do cost a bit, these aren't cheapo jackets. I also picked up a pair of Columbia's Titanium Outdry sneakers -- they are amazing in the rain.

Whatever you buy, make sure it's a permanently waterproof material or laminate that doesn't require you to put on a coating. Some "waterproof" clothing of years past really sucked, like Gore-Tex or REI Elements. Once the water-resistant coating wore off on these things, the garments were sponges. And you'd have to reapply the coating at home, it was a pain in the arse to put on, and the home application was never as good as the initial factory application. Really hated Gore-Tex, it's junk.
Thank you, USDefault, for the good advice. I didn’t know this. Will definitely pay attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Also, would you guys recommend buying a larger thin shell jacket (and wearing some sort of sweater under it) or a jacket with fill like down or some down alternative?

Old 09-12-2019, 09:32 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,601,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
Also, would you guys recommend buying a larger thin shell jacket (and wearing some sort of sweater under it) or a jacket with fill like down or some down alternative?
Shell jacket and fleece sweater is the way to go.

Layers.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:51 PM

17,133 posts, read 11,980,975 times
Quote:
Whatever you're comfortable with given a high around 50 and a low around 40 and mostly cloudy likely with light misting rain.

For me that's a flannel over a t-shirt. Reason why that 90s grunge look originated here.

I only break out an actual hooded rain jacket when heavy rain is in the forecast. Though I've always got one in the car. I've never needed anything more than a light shell rain jacket unless heading up to the mountains. It's not terribly cold, long as you don't get soaked.

Last edited by notnamed; 09-12-2019 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Whatever you're comfortable with given a high around 50 and a low around 40 and mostly cloudy likely with light misting rain.

For me that's a flannel over a t-shirt. Reason why that 90s grunge look originated here.

I only break out an actual hooded rain jacket when heavy rain is in the forecast. Though I've always got one in the car. I've never needed anything more than a light shell rain jacket unless heading up to the mountains. It's not terribly cold, long as you don't get soaked.
Yeah, I’m definitely not a flannel shirt type of girl when it’s 50. I was there in January last time and was very happy to have a down jacket and a wool sweater. Thank you guys both, notnamed and texasdiver.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,955,649 times
Cannon Beach decorates and makes Christmas all December, I believe. You can google Cannon Beach for more info. You won’t find any chains there, except for a local one—Pig’n Pancake.

The Driftwood advertises that it is open every day beginning at 11:30. I don’t know about other eateries, but I imagine if the city is welcoming visitors, most eateries will be open.

For a less crowded beach experience visit Indian Beach in Ecola State Park. I believe there is a trail through the park. And various beaches south of Cannon Beach will be much less crowded as well. But visiting Haystack Rock on the beach on the south side of Cannon Beach is interesting, especially at low tide.

It will be wet, and probably windy, at the Coast in early winter. You will need warm clothes as well as waterproof clothes.

There are various trails along I 84 in the Western part of the Gorge.

But if the weather is foul, you might want to stick close to Portland.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Thank you, silibran. Especially for the Indian Beach recommendation. I don’t think i’ve been to Ecola yet and definitely want to see it. I’ve seen Haystack rock, I think it was in April. It was interesting, but fairly crowded.

Oh, also I have Discovery Pass, do you guys know whether it will work in Ecola? Last time when I went to Silver Falls, I was surprised to find out its a different system and they don’t take it.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 PM

Also, StealthRabbit. I remember you mentioning some beach that you like to go to in that area, I think you said there is a small waterfall there. Could you please remind me the name and how to get there? And will it be ok in November?

Old 09-12-2019, 11:35 PM

By the way StealthRabbit. Thanks for the Skamania County Fair tip. We might’ve been the only “tourists” there, and we enjoyed it A LOT. All the animals, flowers, produce exhibits. It was super cool. I got to hold a rabbit, smell phlox flower for the first time since my childhood and watched animal exhibition contestants and the judges together chase a chicken around a rink. the only thing, I wish they were selling some of their handcrafted stuff for souvenirs.

Old 09-13-2019, 06:53 PM

467 posts, read 521,153 times
Quote:

Oh, also I have Discovery Pass, do you guys know whether it will work in Ecola? Last time when I went to Silver Falls, I was surprised to find out its a different system and they don’t take it.
The Discover Pass is for Washington state lands and parks. I knowmOregon has a similar pass, but is it also called the Discover Pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area