Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 05:20 PM

46 posts, read 43,214 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the Vancouver area a while now. Visited early this year & had a decent experience.

As I've said in past threads, i'm considering a move up to WA next year to escape Silicon Valley & buy a house. We'd plan to live there at least 5 years. Yet one thing troubles me.

I didn't see very good signs of a job market in Vancouver.

Reading threads here, lots of people work remotely. Which is great - I love to work remotely! I'm a content writer & website manager. I can easily do my job remotely.

That said, it makes me wonder what Vancouver's job market is really like. Is everyone working remotely because there aren't many jobs here? This concerns me. I don't want to move someplace where I couldn't find a job if I needed to.

Let me explain. Right now I work for a tech company here in SV. It's decent work, and I could easily do it remotely...but my company's management has a long history of hating remote work. I'd planned on taking the job with me when we move - banking on the fact that I've been here 10+ years and consistently delivered to facilitate it.

However, nothing says they'll say yes. Or won't fire me a month after we make the move. If that happens, I'd obviously need to find something else. Which brings me back to the local job question.

I would really prefer not commuting over to Portland every day. It's not necessary for my work, and a big part of the reason we're leaving Silicon Valley is to get AWAY from the urban sprawl & horrendous traffic. (Some traffic is OK - just a fact of life in many places.)

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

(P.S. - I mean no disrespect to blue-collar workers here, or anywhere for that matter. my career path just hasn't been in those fields.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 07:56 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times
Hey WeezulMaster,

We moved here from Monterey earlier this year and I was wondering the sames things, at least initially. After visiting the area for years, we knew we liked it. And originally I was targeting the Silicon Forest just east of Portland due to the stronger tech scene there. But since my company allows telecommuting for 'some' staff positions I wasn't looking for a new job. Still, its good to know that if things ever change there are other options.

A few interesting things have occurred since I've moved. When I switched my home address on LinkedIn I began getting local companies contacting me for positions. Granted, some are on the PDX side. But there have been others in Vancouver. So that was a nice surprise. Additionally, I've noticed there is a growing tech scene in Vancouver. Don't ask me all the companies since haven't been creating a list or anything like that. But StealthRabbit may know more of them. I think we've discussed these topics on here before.

I've also noticed that some folks I've met who do cross the river for work do some degree of telecommuting themselves. Maybe they only drive a few days a week. So it seems like that is another possibility. I was just talking with a tech project manager in PDX who recently instituted telecommuting for her staff for part of the week. She also lives in Vancouver.

Lastly, there are a number of other companies in CA and other states that hire 100% remote tech employees. So its not like you only have one option if things go sideways with your current gig.

Ultimately, it will be your call based upon a number of factors such as:
1. Sense of current position working out remotely, at least initially.
2. Tolerance for risk based upon above.
3. Willingness to switch to another company, industry, etc... either in WA, OR or some other state (remotely).

Have you looked at other Bay Area companies that allow telecommuting as well? Its nice to be able to maintain your Bay Area salary when moving to a more affordable location plus no income tax.

Although there are many telecommuters here, I've actually met more who work either in Vancouver or Portland. If overly concerned just live in PDX instead.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-28-2019 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2019, 08:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezulMaster View Post
I've been watching the Vancouver area a while now.
What are your thoughts? Thanks.

(P.S. - I mean no disrespect to blue-collar workers here, or anywhere for that matter. my career path just hasn't been in those fields.)
No... 'We" are not all Blue-Collar up here in the sleazy / backwoods PNW.

There are plenty of SV style / skill jobs in Vancouver, or nearby. My former employer alone brought over 1000 high tech employees and jobs from SV to CCWA and they got to keep their SV wages. Most of the smart ones kept their SV homes and prop 13 benefits and retired back to CA.

There is not the wealth of 'get -a-job' in a couple hours opportunities, but for those who are good (worth $0.02 at their skills), and willing to stay, there will be work enough to stay securely employed.

Many of my High tech friends from Vancouver work remotely and for Asia (evening shift in Pacific Time zone). Allows you to be FREE all day, every day until 5PM to enjoy the sunshine.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:59 PM

Hah! Had a feeling that might get your attention, StealthRabbit. I inadvertently irritated a friend's brother the other day, who works as an electrician. My mistake, which thankfully I could easily rectify. Guess it's still on my mind.

By chance would you know/recommend any Vancouver companies at which I could look?

I used to telecommute full-time. Loved it. Would happily do it again, for a local company or one across the world. Not the easiest thing to get though...stiff competition. (I've applied for some in recent months, just in case, but have trouble getting interviews.)

MtnSurfer, I saw your thread from last year. Glad to see you're doing well up there.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Hah! Had a feeling that might get your attention, StealthRabbit. I inadvertently irritated a friend's brother the other day, who works as an electrician. My mistake, which thankfully I could easily rectify. Guess it's still on my mind.

By chance would you know/recommend any Vancouver companies at which I could look?

I used to telecommute full-time. Loved it. Would happily do it again, for a local company or one across the world. Not the easiest thing to get though...stiff competition. (I've applied for some in recent months, just in case, but have trouble getting interviews.)

MtnSurfer, I saw your thread from last year. Glad to see you're doing well up there.
While you might find some Vancouver companies who would be willing to hire from out of state people, you'll find they are much more receptive once you are local to the area. That's been my experience and sense of the professional sub culture (vibe). I've heard a large number of openings go unadvertised and get filled in other ways like local connections, etc... Its probably a bit different than the Bay Area in that way. They prefer to hire locally whenever possible. So your frame of reference and associated opportunities will change based upon location.

Derek

Old 10-28-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
While you might find some Vancouver companies who would be willing to hire from out of state people, you'll find they are much more receptive once you are local to the area. That's been my experience and sense of the professional sub culture (vibe). I've heard a large number of openings go unadvertised and get filled in other ways like local connections, etc... Its probably a bit different than the Bay Area in that way. They prefer to hire locally whenever possible. So your frame of reference and associated opportunities will change based upon location.

Derek
Not unreasonable. That may be why the two companies to which I applied there already turned me down.

Many Silicon Valley companies hire that way as well...some even poaching from competitors during a meetup. I have witnessed this personally!

If we do move there, I'll of course spend some time networking. Not the world's best networker by any means, but it's worth it!

Out of curiosity, what industry are you in?

Old 10-28-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Not unreasonable. That may be why the two companies to which I applied there already turned me down.

Many Silicon Valley companies hire that way as well...some even poaching from competitors during a meetup. I have witnessed this personally!

If we do move there, I'll of course spend some time networking. Not the world's best networker by any means, but it's worth it!

Out of curiosity, what industry are you in?
Yep, they have various local meetup groups, etc... where techies mingle.

DM me if you want to know my industry. I don't normally state it on public forums.

Derek

Old 10-29-2019, 09:54 AM

5,438 posts, read 7,723,606 times
There are plenty of jobs in Vancouver. It just isn't a tech hub like Silicon Valley or Seattle or even the tech corridor in Beaverton. I think that is due mostly to the lack of engineering schools nearby. Washington's big engineering programs are in Seattle and Pullman. There isn't much in the way of computer engineering in the SW corner of the state. In fact, there really isn't all that much available in Portland either. PSU has a computer science program. And so do some of the smaller colleges like Reed and University of Portland which have added them more recently. But they are nothing like the big programs you see in Seattle and the Bay Area that draw talent from all over the world.

I expect that if WSU-Vancouver invested in a world class computer engineering program it would really jump start tech industry in the Vancouver area. I mean they do have a small engineering school but it is small and not seriously funded. Perhaps they don't want to compete with the mothership in Pullman. I don't know. But I expect it would be money well spent. Computer Science is reportedly the hardest undergraduate program to get into at UW in Seattle so it seems there is the demand.

But for jobs in general? There are two large hospitals in Vancouver and new clinics are opening up all the time so there are healthcare jobs. Lots of jobs in education. And office space is getting filled about as fast as they can build it in downtown Vancouver. So it isn't some kind of economic black hole. And there are a growing number of tech companies in the region but they also tend to come and go. Sharp Electronics had a big plant in Camas that closed a few years back and UL Laboratories just closed its Camas facility. So they come and go.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
There are plenty of jobs in Vancouver. It just isn't a tech hub like Silicon Valley or Seattle or even the tech corridor in Beaverton. I think that is due mostly to the lack of engineering schools nearby. Washington's big engineering programs are in Seattle and Pullman. There isn't much in the way of computer engineering in the SW corner of the state. In fact, there really isn't all that much available in Portland either. PSU has a computer science program. And so do some of the smaller colleges like Reed and University of Portland which have added them more recently. But they are nothing like the big programs you see in Seattle and the Bay Area that draw talent from all over the world.

I expect that if WSU-Vancouver invested in a world class computer engineering program it would really jump start tech industry in the Vancouver area. I mean they do have a small engineering school but it is small and not seriously funded. Perhaps they don't want to compete with the mothership in Pullman. I don't know. But I expect it would be money well spent. Computer Science is reportedly the hardest undergraduate program to get into at UW in Seattle so it seems there is the demand.

But for jobs in general? There are two large hospitals in Vancouver and new clinics are opening up all the time so there are healthcare jobs. Lots of jobs in education. And office space is getting filled about as fast as they can build it in downtown Vancouver. So it isn't some kind of economic black hole. And there are a growing number of tech companies in the region but they also tend to come and go. Sharp Electronics had a big plant in Camas that closed a few years back and UL Laboratories just closed its Camas facility. So they come and go.
Wow, I didn't realize UL Labs is closing. They own that beautiful property I drive by all the time to go paddleboarding at the lake. I wonder what will become of the land? I'm sure its worth a small fortune. It would be great to make into a city park or something else the community could enjoy. Hey, maybe a swim center?

Speaking of Camas businesses coming and going, I wonder what will be the fate of Fisher Investments in Camas after the multi-billion $ losses they've taken recently due to stupid comments made by Ken Fisher?

Derek

Old 10-29-2019, 05:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
UL announced their departure a few yrs ago.
Can't add a 'public' swim center, as the private enterprises cried about competition, causing my former employer to have to rescind FREE property donation for a Camas YMCA location.

Fisher Investments will survive if Ken exits quickly. (his employees, company, community, family, and investors will benefit from that.)

I can think of (8) potential HT employers within 1 mile of Fisher Inv Headqtrs. I know about 50 engineers now employed across the street form Fisher. (I think their current employment has topped 150)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area