Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:42 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
We ate a McGrath's once and vowed to never return. There was nothing fresh about the seafood, and most was heavily fried. Maybe we need to give it another chance.

There is a recent article in Oregon Live about restaurants and clam chowder on the Oregon coast. I think The Horn is Depot Bay is the best for clam chowder, though there are lots of very good choices. Just stay away from Mo's. For fish and chips we have newly discovery Buoy Brewery in Astoria. However, Luna in Yachats has best seafood hands down. Nothing fancy.
Yachats is too far south for us. We mostly day-trip and end up somewhere between Cannon Beach and Pacific City. I'm mostly partial to the Tillamook Coast section off 101. But then that severely limits one's restaurant options. The Pelican Brewery in Pacific City is over-price and usually over-crowded. The only other restaurant north of there in Netarts that I'm aware of is the Schooner which we have never tried. There is a cafe in Oceanside but seems to have limited off-season hours.

Cannon Beach has a wide selection of restaurants. We've had lunch at Tom's Fish and Chips which is a serviceable lunch cafe but haven't tried to explore the finer dining options in Cannon Beach. A whole bunch of dinner places pop up on yelp.

There is a decent old-style fish and chips place directly across the street from the Tillamook Cheese behemoth that is a better choice than braving that place.

Seems like every year or so the Oregonian or one of the regional magazines does their "Best Clam Chowder on the Coast" article. Kind of like how every year Texas Monthly does it's "Best BBQ in Texas" article except that is about 100x bigger as BBQ is a religion in TX.

And I agree, there are better options than Mo's. Although it does have a certain kitchy charm if you are hosting friends from out of state and want to go to someplace really old-school. But if you have a car-load of kids who just want chicken fingers and fries then Mo's is OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 02:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
We ate a McGrath's once and vowed to never return. There was nothing fresh about the seafood, and most was heavily fried. Maybe we need to give it another chance.

There is a recent article in Oregon Live about restaurants and clam chowder on the Oregon coast. I think The Horn is Depot Bay is the best for clam chowder, though there are lots of very good choices. Just stay away from Mo's. For fish and chips we have newly discovery Buoy Brewery in Astoria. However, Luna in Yachats has best seafood hands down. Nothing fancy.
Thanks for the Coast recs! I totally agree about Mo’s, but DH loves the place! When we are in Cannon Beach, we go there once. I don’t like it. But I can stand it once. The Driftwood in Cannon Beach has very good clam chowder.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:37 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Had dinner at The Hammond Kitchen and Craft Bar last night, my first time there. It's on Lake Rd east of 192nd Ave.
It was good; nice atmosphere, good food(I had the prime rib dip, a go-to test for a new place that serves them. Probably the best I've ever had)and decent prices. The waitstaff was nice and didn't bother us too much. They have a great selection of beer, wine and cocktails too. I'll definitely be going back.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yachats is too far south for us. We mostly day-trip and end up somewhere between Cannon Beach and Pacific City. I'm mostly partial to the Tillamook Coast section off 101. But then that severely limits one's restaurant options. The Pelican Brewery in Pacific City is over-price and usually over-crowded. The only other restaurant north of there in Netarts that I'm aware of is the Schooner which we have never tried. There is a cafe in Oceanside but seems to have limited off-season hours.

Cannon Beach has a wide selection of restaurants. We've had lunch at Tom's Fish and Chips which is a serviceable lunch cafe but haven't tried to explore the finer dining options in Cannon Beach. A whole bunch of dinner places pop up on yelp.

There is a decent old-style fish and chips place directly across the street from the Tillamook Cheese behemoth that is a better choice than braving that place.

Seems like every year or so the Oregonian or one of the regional magazines does their "Best Clam Chowder on the Coast" article. Kind of like how every year Texas Monthly does it's "Best BBQ in Texas" article except that is about 100x bigger as BBQ is a religion in TX.

And I agree, there are better options than Mo's. Although it does have a certain kitchy charm if you are hosting friends from out of state and want to go to someplace really old-school. But if you have a car-load of kids who just want chicken fingers and fries then Mo's is OK.
When you visit Cannon Beach, be sure to get coffee at Sleepy Monk. There is a restaurant there in the back of their building. I’ve heard it is excellent, but we’ve never trued it. It is a dinner only place. For breakfast, try Surfbird. They have good coffee there too.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:01 PM

206 posts, read 186,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When you visit Cannon Beach, be sure to get coffee at Sleepy Monk. There is a restaurant there in the back of their building. I’ve heard it is excellent, but we’ve never trued it. It is a dinner only place. For breakfast, try Surfbird. They have good coffee there too.
Went to Surfbird recently. Absolutely the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had!

Old 01-27-2020, 09:02 PM

203 posts, read 165,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Went to Surfbird recently. Absolutely the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had!
To grilled cheese aficionados. How can you tell “the best grilled cheese sandwich I’ve ever had”? It’s just bread and cheese. Good bread + good cheese inescapably = good grilled cheese sandwich, can’t screw it up, no?

Old 01-28-2020, 11:35 AM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
I guess you could cook it too long and burn it. Or use Tillamook (sacrilegious) or whole-grain bread (inedible) instead of normal Kraft singles on white/sourdough?

Yeah, you can definitely screw up grilled cheese.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
We’ve only ever gone for breakfast or for coffee. I’ll remember the grilled cheese option. I do want that place to succeed. Cannon Beach needs a place like this.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I guess you could cook it too long and burn it. Or use Tillamook (sacrilegious) or whole-grain bread (inedible) instead of normal Kraft singles on white/sourdough?

Tillamook cheese. Not a fan.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:48 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post

Some recipes and restaurants do grilled cheese in the oven, or finish in the oven. So there are more variables than just the bread and cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area