Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 12:05 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times

Advertisements

Wow, we're living in a different time for sure with all of this hysteria derived from social media posts. I guess when POTUS uses it as a platform to 'get the word' out to the world while bypassing 'fake news,' it takes on a life of its own.

The principle is no doubt regretting the scope and scale of those comments on a national level however knee jerk they were at the time.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 04:59 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Just in:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/...edia-backlash/

Right-click and open in an incognito tab in Chrome to bypass the paywall.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:17 PM

656 posts, read 1,990,682 times
As a parent of a Camas High School student I am relieved the principal resigned. What a mess of a week for everyone, especially the kids!

Old 02-07-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
As a parent of a Camas High School student I am relieved the principal resigned. What a mess of a week for everyone, especially the kids!
Yea. I'm a parent too. Unfortunately she just made herself toxic. Big lesson there. She struck me as decent but not so awesome as to be irreplaceable. The school will move on. Camas HS is mostly a well-oiled machine and will be just fine without a principal for a while. This isn't some rebuilding an inner-city school situation where inspirational leadership is required to motivate all the kids and staff. They will all be fine. We just need a competent leader and public face for the school who knows how to deal with controversies not create them.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:45 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yea. I'm a parent too. Unfortunately she just made herself toxic. Big lesson there. She struck me as decent but not so awesome as to be irreplaceable. The school will move on. Camas HS is mostly a well-oiled machine and will be just fine without a principal for a while. This isn't some rebuilding an inner-city school situation where inspirational leadership is required to motivate all the kids and staff. They will all be fine. We just need a competent leader and public face for the school who knows how to deal with controversies not create them.
Wow, I just read the article about her resignation. Hopefully she hasn't thrown away an entire career with a single viral statement. That's going to a be difficult one to walk away from when applying for another 'public facing' position like this. I don't know anything about her, her background, etc... All that can be found online is this incident. No one wants to be defined by one bad statement. Hopefully she finds her way.

I'm sure Camas can attract another quality principle. It's a desirable school to be a part of. Though it sounds like they don't want to rush into anything to quickly right now. At least that's the impression I got after listening to Superintendent Jeff Snell. It's time to let the dust settle and allow the students to get back to being students again! There's enough drama just being a high schooler. No need to create more for them.

I would hazard a guess that the Camas principle position is a competitive one and that there are educators/administrators who would like to fill that role.

Derek

Old 02-08-2020, 10:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Camas and Hockinson districts both draw good candidates, (usually from Puget Sound and primary cities in ID, CA, OR) but it is a very long disruptive process for staff and board. Maybe there is an internal candidate being groomed. Could help defuse the situation, even for remainder of school yr (likely anyway).

"A teachable moment" for the students... the Power and Destruction of communication. (well meaning (?) wrongly interpreted (?), personal vendetta (?) ...) I can certainly see her side of her 'feelings' / protection and exaltation of a self-admitted rape perpetrator "No, the victim may not have considered this consensual" KB... But... one must always consider the audience and delivery (and timing).

Wrong timing and method for her statement of impact, to retain her public facing position.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Camas and Hockinson districts both draw good candidates, (usually from Puget Sound and primary cities in ID, CA, OR) but it is a very long disruptive process for staff and board. Maybe there is an internal candidate being groomed. Could help defuse the situation, even for remainder of school yr (likely anyway).

"A teachable moment" for the students... the Power and Destruction of communication. (well meaning (?) wrongly interpreted (?), personal vendetta (?) ...) I can certainly see her side of her 'feelings' / protection and exaltation of a self-admitted rape perpetrator "No, the victim may not have considered this consensual" KB... But... one must always consider the audience and delivery (and timing).

Wrong timing and method for her statement of impact, to retain her public facing position.
I expect they will appoint an interim principal to serve out the remainder of the school year. Either elevate one of the vice principals or one of the central office administrators. The biggest task of the principal in the spring is to deal with all the staff hiring for the upcoming school year and Camas generally has low turnover compared to some districts so that may not be much to deal with.

Most of the candidates they would probably want to attract (if they don't already have an internal hire in mind) would likely already be under contract with another district for the 2019-2020 school year so its not like you can just pick someone up anytime like in other professions. School jobs for both administrators and teachers normally cycle between the school years.

Sejkora came from the Phoenix area. Scottsdale I think. So they went outside the traditional PNW orbit to find her back in 2017. Maybe they will stick closer to home this time. It is a plum position if you don't make a mess of it as Camas is one of the premier public high schools in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:48 PM

Latest news from the Superintendent sent to parents today:

Quote:
I met with the CHS admin team to develop a plan moving forward. I am pleased to announce that Mr. Tom Morris will be stepping into the interim principal role. Tom has been an associate principal at CHS the past 11 years and has been a constant, steadying force throughout that time. We will also be providing additional administrative support to the team at CHS. We will notify you about those additions when they are finalized. In the next several months we will seek feedback about the long-term role of principal at CHS.
As I predicted, they elevated one of the assistant principals to become interim principal for the remainder of the school year. Unless I miss my guess, they will probably elevate one of the existing administrators at the HS or one of the middle schools and keep things "in the family" this time around rather than going out of state in seek of a "star"

Old 02-11-2020, 10:44 AM

220 posts, read 153,957 times
So much drama nowadays: the teacher for crying about stuff she has no clue about and the students for wanting her thrown out of her job for a ****ing tweet

Old 02-12-2020, 04:39 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
So much drama nowadays: the teacher for crying about stuff she has no clue about and the students for wanting her thrown out of her job for a ****ing tweet

Exactly this. The woke eating the woke. So glad I don't have to care, ever, about any of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area