Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 10:57 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times

Advertisements

This is a big deal for anyone looking to relocate to the area. Ridgefield was already pretty far behind the construction curve due to a big bond that failed in 2007 or so right before the economic downturn. Hockinson passed one that same year and built a new HS while Ridgefield has been poking along with little additions here and there and a sea of portables. This will be the future for anyone moving here for the schools. Elections have consequences and the 60% bar is a high bar for school bonds. The last Ridgefield bond in 2019 failed as well, while Evergreen and Camas recently passed big bonds and are starting or wrapping up big rounds of construction, respectively.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/...first-returns/

Quote:
Superintendent Nathan McCann wasn’t immediately available for comment following the news of the election results, but last month he described a series of “draconian measures” the district could face if the bond fails. Those options include building dozens of new portables, converting existing extracurricular spaces like theaters into classrooms, or running school on a split shift, with half of students attending early in the morning and the other half attending during the evening.

The Ridgefield School District is poised for significant growth over the coming years, with demographers projecting an additional 1,760 students entering the district by 2023-2024. That’s more than 50 percent growth in the suburban school district, whose enrollment was 3,358 students in January, according to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction. That doesn’t take into account development around the Northeast 179th Street and Interstate 5 interchange, which could produce as many as 5,650 homes, many of them in the Ridgefield School District boundaries.
Ridgefield is basically so far behind the curve that even if they pass the next bond measure (and there will be another attempt) it will take them at least 6 years to dig themselves out of the hole they are now in. Too bad the county can't just put a moratorium on construction in the area until they get their school finances in order. Sorry DR Horton and Lennar. You'll have to hit the pause button. That's what they would do if the sewer systems were not adequate. But kids? We'll just throw them into makeshift classrooms in the cafeteria and theater and run split shifts starting at 7 am and ending at 7 pm or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 12:26 AM

203 posts, read 165,393 times
That’s really stupid and frustrating. And by such a small margin! Although 60% is a high bar. What I don’t understand is why this is happening. Aren’t new people moving there (and a lot of longer term residents) mostly families with children? Wouldn’t they be the voting majority at this point?

Old 02-12-2020, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
That’s really stupid and frustrating. And by such a small margin! Although 60% is a high bar. What I don’t understand is why this is happening. Aren’t new people moving there (and a lot of longer term residents) mostly families with children? Wouldn’t they be the voting majority at this point?
The town of Ridgefield is quite small but the district covers a fairly sprawling rural area. I expect there are some older folk living in the more rural parts who are probably getting tired of seeing their taxes raised to pay for new schools for all the newcomers moving into all the brand new upscale subdivisions.

Then they foolishly decide to hold bond elections during these off cycle special election times when turnout is low among the more casual voters but the older folk still vote. I wonder if they would get better results if they had the bond election during the national elections when turnout is much higher. Or if they have to be separate. I don't know the rules about that.

I expect they will do another retrospective analysis of why it failed and try to move forward. But every year that slips by without keeping up with the growth just means they fall further and further behind the curve.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:44 AM

203 posts, read 165,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The town of Ridgefield is quite small but the district covers a fairly sprawling rural area. I expect there are some older folk living in the more rural parts who are probably getting tired of seeing their taxes raised to pay for new schools for all the newcomers moving into all the brand new upscale subdivisions.

Then they foolishly decide to hold bond elections during these off cycle special election times when turnout is low among the more casual voters but the older folk still vote. I wonder if they would get better results if they had the bond election during the national elections when turnout is much higher. Or if they have to be separate. I don't know the rules about that.

I expect they will do another retrospective analysis of why it failed and try to move forward. But every year that slips by without keeping up with the growth just means they fall further and further behind the curve.
I had the same thought. Why now? Why not with presidential election? And after the previous failure, I thought the folks with kids would make sure to come to the next election and vote. They really need new elementary for one. And already have the land for it, architectural plans and everything. Again, so stupid and frustrating. And these older folks who think they can squeeze the toothpaste of growth back into the tube by voting like this also are being not very foresightful. People and changes to the area are coming anyway. The paramount goal is to keep it a good place and good area, and that cannot be done without good schools. Such “sabotage” does nothing to bring back much loved and missed small rural town past of Yesteryear, but instead is working towards bringing the area down by socioeconomic status in the very real present and coming future.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Makes sense to me.

Double up the shifts if you actually want to keep our failed PS in operation. Plenty of fat in the system.

1/2 the buildings, busses, and staff is a good start. There are countries who far exceed the USA in edu attainment where teachers have one 50 student class from 7am until noon, and another 50 from 1pm until 6pm. Double on Saturday (required classes). But... Ironically, other successful countries can educated well in less time.

Not perfect, but there are so many excellent options. Why burden the community with more taxes and fees? Figure it out! (Should be a desired challenge for those entrusted with educating (?) Our future leaders and contributors to society. Imagine the good example that would set?

YMMV, especially if employed within this 'system' . Certainly is a system!

Hopefully the future can avail far better and more options to our youth than PS infastructure. When later in life must you be sequestered all day with 30 others your same age? Tragic for many.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:16 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossa View Post
voter turnout was only around 30%; Which was similar to the last bond that failed so ultimately it's not having enough voters who care to vote and a large portion that feels the bonds being put forth are not well spend; I don't think it's the community doesn't care about schools/kids as they do- but there's also a large retired population here and even folks on tight budgets who don't want to put for all the "fancy" extras that are included.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:24 PM

The solution, of course, is to pull all the building permits in Ridgefield until they have enough space for all the existing and new school children. But of course we would never do that because Lennar and DR Horton have a God-given right to bulldoze farm land and build more houses.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:42 AM

Latest news on the Ridgefield Bond. The Columbian did a more in-depth analysis. Seems like the newer parts of town in the north end where all the new subdivisions are (and most of the kids) heavily supported the bond with over 70% support. The more rural and older part of the district to the south (that is in the school district but not really part of the actual town of Ridgefield) voted it down with more like 45% support. So it goes.

https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/...-stark-divide/

Right-click and open in an incognito tab in Chrome if the paywall blocks you.

I expect eventually the legislature will eventually take a look at repealing the 60% threshold. Most states don't have that kind of supermajority and it is somewhat undemocratic. School bonds in Texas, for example, only require 50% as is the case in most states.

The county definitely needs to pull the plug on the massive new developments proposed for the area around the fairgrounds at 179th and I-5 if there isn't going to be adequate school space.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:50 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,585 times
if anyone didn't see- they are proposing a much lighter bond for the April ballot to construct a new k-4 (k-6 initially) around 40,000,000. Also, for those concerned that "Ridgefield doesn't care" - voting maps actually showed more than 70% of voters supported the bond in Ridgefield proper, but the outlying areas (rural- country) voted no. We needed less than 70 votes to have voted yes for it to have passed. So incredibly close.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I didn't realize that Ridgefield ascribed to a version of the gulag.

So many other excellent alternatives than sequestering our increasingly less qty public school aged citizens into age segregated holding pens for all the daylight hours of their precious weekdays.

Tragic . I would claim it to be criminal to their formulative years of values and need for building cross generational social skills and recognition of the needs of others (of a different demographic than themselves)
Quote:
Quote:
The solution, of course, is to pull all the building permits in Ridgefield until they have enough space for all the existing and new school children.
So very sad. (From the perspective of a 4th generation educator who would never wish such segregation and inclusion on anyone of childhood age)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area