U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2020, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Alamogordo, NM
7,942 posts, read 7,816,969 times
Reputation: 5695

Advertisements

Or Panama. Panama wants expats and offers discounts on rent, restaurants, etc. to entice retirees from the U.S. to move there. The English language is spoken well there and they don't make the Visa process difficult.

I'm planning on working another 4 years but could "arrange an earlier retirement" if the right moment arises. A Boeing lump sum retirement benefit payout gives Mrs.elkotronics and I options. We could pay off our New Mexico home and live on our 401K and savings plus Social Security from this point on. Or, what's more likely, I'll work for a few more years then retire. Pay off the house in 2020 sometime, go on to Medicare at 65 and pay our supplemental Part B's, and settle in to retirement in New Mexico. We like New Mexico enough.

I have looked in to retirement in Belize, Uruguay and even...Mexico. Apparently all of this drug cartel living in fear doesn't play out if you pick the right areas of Mexico to retire in. Yes, the Mexicans even help Americans with their concerns down south in retirement. Couldn't believe what I read about it.

It's a lot about getting adequate health care for the least amount of monthly cash outlay. Which could mean Belize, Panama...or even...Mexico!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2020, 09:39 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,636 posts, read 47,721,525 times
Reputation: 34284
Well... Of course there are 'other' affordable health options in 'normal' times... (I have had to use them for 10+ yrs) But... Today, covid-19... Send me to the countries who have BTDT and survived. Belize and Panama and Mexico are not there yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2020, 09:45 AM
 
449 posts, read 405,809 times
Reputation: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Don't know how easy? I'm Not eligible yet.


Most of my friends (over age65) have PCDs and they have not declared them to be hard to find. Kaiser and Peace Health is like a revolving door. Many MDs in USA leave their field due to increased workload and less reimbursement. I have a a lot of friends who 'almost' make it to age 65. 2 are passing away at the moment, they didn't make it to Healthcare age.

Wish I were in Thailand or Singapore!
I don't find the comment about Kaiser being a revolving door to be true. Just based on my kids' comments and their friends' comments (all in health care), providers are COMING to Kaiser for private practice because the organization allows them to have a real life outside of their workplace. My DIL left SW Hospital, along with many colleagues, when it merged with PeaceHealth. She joined the staff at Kaiser. She left a year later to do a fellowship at OHSU, and would have rejoined Kaiser had the family not moved to Boise. My son works in Urgent Care in Boise and even they had difficulty finding a PCP for them and their young children. I have another DIL who works in Urgent Care at Providence in Portland. She has looked at opportunities to join Kaiser, but the right opportunity has not opened up.

I am grateful we have been able to join Kaiser since we moved to Clark County. It was not available to us when we were in Wenatchee. Fortunately, we are eligible for several insurance plans under the Teacher Retirement System. I am also grateful we are able to afford the insurance costs. Also grateful we are healthy and active.

I have a neighbor who just moved to Ridgefield from Eugene. She will be 65 this year. I suggested she find a PCP before she turns 65. She has no trouble finding a PCP that takes her insurance, which will convert to a some kind of Medicare plan when she turns 65 later this year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2020, 04:33 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,636 posts, read 47,721,525 times
Reputation: 34284
Oh, I have a lot of friends that work at Kaiser. (For various reasons, often to have a life). But.. many PCPs come and go due to the new nature of patient and documentation workload. One friend had 7 Different PCPs in 3 years. They changed fields of left. Kaiser has done over 20 surgeries and broken body repairs for our family, only recently did we have to petition for more thorough care, and get referred out of network. For Medicare, Kaiser only appears available as ,'Advantage' plan. (Which is 'advantage' to insurer, not the insured)

I would pursue Adventist medical group if I had the choice. Friends who work and get care like their more holistic health approach.

From a cost and quality standpoint, I will continue to get my care outside of USA. Interesting read on how various states are sending their insured outside of USA for services. When we lived in Singapore in 1990, they did the same... 'go to Thailand and get this surgery for free, or stay in Singapore and pay S$20,000 for same treatment. Europe is similar. When living in Thailand, 1/2 of elderly Europe shows up every winter for Thailand medical care. Many have done that for 50 years.

USA true medical colors and capabilities are getting revealed soon!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2020, 05:59 PM
 
Location: WA
4,427 posts, read 5,747,765 times
Reputation: 6168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
I don't find the comment about Kaiser being a revolving door to be true. Just based on my kids' comments and their friends' comments (all in health care), providers are COMING to Kaiser for private practice because the organization allows them to have a real life outside of their workplace. My DIL left SW Hospital, along with many colleagues, when it merged with PeaceHealth. She joined the staff at Kaiser. She left a year later to do a fellowship at OHSU, and would have rejoined Kaiser had the family not moved to Boise. My son works in Urgent Care in Boise and even they had difficulty finding a PCP for them and their young children. I have another DIL who works in Urgent Care at Providence in Portland. She has looked at opportunities to join Kaiser, but the right opportunity has not opened up.

I am grateful we have been able to join Kaiser since we moved to Clark County. It was not available to us when we were in Wenatchee. Fortunately, we are eligible for several insurance plans under the Teacher Retirement System. I am also grateful we are able to afford the insurance costs. Also grateful we are healthy and active.

I have a neighbor who just moved to Ridgefield from Eugene. She will be 65 this year. I suggested she find a PCP before she turns 65. She has no trouble finding a PCP that takes her insurance, which will convert to a some kind of Medicare plan when she turns 65 later this year.
I'm with Kaiser and have family who work there. I haven't seen the revolving door. Although I know they have a harder time finding and keeping providers outside the Portland metro area because people aren't as interested in living places like Longview. I don't know how much more Kaiser has to pay doctors to work in Longview but its not nothing.

People should understand though, that every single medical group is facing the same economic forces. Medicare, medicaid, the ACA, and private insurance basically pay what they pay. Different health care organizations have come up with different creative strategies to optimize care and returns under the existing system. But it is what it is. Unless you can afford private cash-only concierge medical coverage you are going to run against those constraints.

As for medical care outside the US? I only know Chile where my wife is from and where we visit frequently. I do know that Clinica Alemana in Santiago Chile is probably a nicer hospital than any in the Portland metro area. That's where one of my daughter's was born and my mother-in-law recently had surgery.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2020, 04:53 AM
 
274 posts, read 82,657 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Don't know how easy? I'm Not eligible yet.


Most of my friends (over age65) have PCDs and they have not declared them to be hard to find. Kaiser and Peace Health is like a revolving door. Many MDs in USA leave their field due to increased workload and less reimbursement. I have a a lot of friends who 'almost' make it to age 65. 2 are passing away at the moment, they didn't make it to Healthcare age.

Wish I were in Thailand or Singapore!

So sorry to hear about your friends...


I've been to both countries for vacations... I get a third world feeling when I was in Thailand...


In Singapore, you could eat off the sidewalk...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2020, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Alamogordo, NM
7,942 posts, read 7,816,969 times
Reputation: 5695
In Singapore, you could eat off the sidewalk...

I gotta ask ya, did you see anyone actually eating off the sidewalk in Singapore?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2020, 12:00 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,636 posts, read 47,721,525 times
Reputation: 34284
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
In Singapore, you could eat off the sidewalk...

I gotta ask ya, did you see anyone actually eating off the sidewalk in Singapore?
Having lived and worked there since 1989... That may be a 'cane-able' violation in Singapore. Or more likely a S$1000 fine (or both). It is a great place to eat ON the sidewalk ('La Pasat' Satay every weekend, where the block the street for vendors!), but not OFF the sidewalk!!! Singapore DID get a handle on Covid very fast with their 'Virus Detectives' who would call suspected carriers and come to their home with written orders to STAY PUT!. You have 6mil people in an area the size of Portland metro, and you have 30% Chinese population, just traveled home for CNY... you better be GOOD, skilled. perceptive, and FAST to control an outbreak. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51866102 (only 2 deaths is amazingly robust tracking and QUICK purposed action!)
could have been much worse if Singapore didn't have a sophisticated and extensive contact tracing programme, which follows the chain of the virus from one person to the next, identifying and isolating those people - and all their close contacts - before they can spread the virus further.
OT... BTW, what brought the large uptick in Clark Positive Covid-19 cases today?.. was it a care center?
Hopefully not just the statistical artifact of finally having more test kits available to 'discover' how many cases are among the std population. (What we DON'T know WILL hurt us in this case). over 50% of 'positives' seem to be asymptomatic. That is scary dangerous! (super spreaders in our midst, but unknown, and possibly NEVER known, if they don't ever develop symptoms)

I'm in TX (under armed guard) so asked DW to inform me on CC #, but she has been too busy at home sewing masks for senior centers to watch or listen to the news. (good activity to sew hundreds of masks while being stuck inside with a broken hip). Skamania C also reported first case today, too bad... no cases in my TX county (yet). Many nearby (104, 40% are 'community spread'), since SA is where they 'pre-released' the ship passengers who tested positive AFTER quarantine. Texas did not take too kindly to that, thus the armed guards! You need to 'open-carry' if you want that lost roll of bologna, or TP.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-29-2020 at 12:10 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2020, 10:19 AM
 
218 posts, read 96,716 times
Reputation: 166
I might be dipping out to Singapore for a while. I might just start travelling the world staying in a new country every 90 days....


Summers in Vancouver
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2020, 10:33 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,636 posts, read 47,721,525 times
Reputation: 34284
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
I might be dipping out to Singapore for a while. I might just start travelling the world staying in a new country every 90 days....


Summers in Vancouver
If carrying a USA passport, don't count on being 'allowed' into some countries.
Singapore and NZ are not overly keen on allowing USA residents. I would expect increased restrictions, health screens and records.

Southern hemisphere is on my list for next Nov-May.

6 weeks will tell how safe SWWA will be this summer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top