U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 02:29 PM

4,795 posts, read 3,916,129 times

Advertisements

I came down with some type of upper respiratory/Flu like illness on the twenty first of February. Since then I have gotten through the worst of the earlier flu like symptoms but continued to cough through the twenty ninth of last month into this past Tuesday, on Tuesday evening I had a terrible sore throat and began to cough hard. Went to my Doc and she didn't want to test me for covid19, or anything else. My stepson in Camas has been sick with Flu like symptoms since Tuesday evening, said he feels better but still has lingering nausea. Feeling much better today but just wondering if some of these symptoms may be going around the local areas.

On a side note, I've been self quarantined since the twenty first of February, getting some feelings of cabin fever but I'm retired and don't need to go out..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 05:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,459 posts, read 47,498,949 times
Our adult kids in Seattle have been ill for a month (Flu-like, but more respiratory related). (I told them to stay put!)

I suspect Covid-19 has been 'sleeping' in WA since 15 Jan, but hopefully you didn't have that!

Definitely get out on sunny days (for your improved health), just maintain your 'social space'.
Walking the beautiful neighborhoods of Portland and Vancouver should be great about now.

Consider a motorcycle! That maintains fresh air and 6 ft of separation.
There are some low mileage bargains in PNW.

I prefer off-road / ADV
There is a back road from Washougal to Stevenson that is not too busy, often No One else on that road! (can be risky if you get into trouble)

Be safe

Old 03-20-2020, 06:07 PM

Good advice, we’ve walked some in the Fort Vancouver area, it’s quiet and has absolutely beautiful walking areas, and yes I also suspect that this virus has been around longer than most would think.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:25 PM

4,409 posts, read 5,692,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I came down with some type of upper respiratory/Flu like illness on the twenty first of February. Since then I have gotten through the worst of the earlier flu like symptoms but continued to cough through the twenty ninth of last month into this past Tuesday, on Tuesday evening I had a terrible sore throat and began to cough hard. Went to my Doc and she didn't want to test me for covid19, or anything else. My stepson in Camas has been sick with Flu like symptoms since Tuesday evening, said he feels better but still has lingering nausea. Feeling much better today but just wondering if some of these symptoms may be going around the local areas.

On a side note, I've been self quarantined since the twenty first of February, getting some feelings of cabin fever but I'm retired and don't need to go out..
My wife and I had kind of a nasty flu in late Feb. About the same time as you. Sore throat, light fever, coughing, etc. Wouldn't have been worth mentioning in any other year. She stayed home from work for 3 days. I didn't.

At this point Covid is spreading so fast you should probably assume that is what new flu is, but it might not be. They don't have nearly enough test kits to test anyone who isn't being hospitalized.

Hopefully what we had WAS Covid-19 if that means we are now immune, at least temporarily.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
My wife and I had kind of a nasty flu in late Feb. About the same time as you. Sore throat, light fever, coughing, etc. Wouldn't have been worth mentioning in any other year. She stayed home from work for 3 days. I didn't.

At this point Covid is spreading so fast you should probably assume that is what new flu is, but it might not be. They don't have nearly enough test kits to test anyone who isn't being hospitalized.

Hopefully what we had WAS Covid-19 if that means we are now immune, at least temporarily.
Yeah, my doc thought the best course was to see if the cough morphed into a labored breathing situation, it didn't and I'm now on antibiotics and noting real improvement. I'm just curious about this flu because I checked on various state and county health websites to see if there was a local outbreak and found nothing.

Last edited by jertheber; 03-21-2020 at 05:42 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 12:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 717,746 times
Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses. Influenza and CoV-2/Covid 19 are viral illnesses.

If you report showing improvement from antibiotics, then either they've been ineffective and you had a viral illness that simply ran its course, just by coincidence after you'd been on them for a while, or you must have had a bacterial or microbial infection of some sort which it probably did treat.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses. Influenza and CoV-2/Covid 19 are viral illnesses.

If you report showing improvement from antibiotics, then either they've been ineffective and you had a viral illness that simply ran its course, just by coincidence after you'd been on them for a while, or you must have had a bacterial or microbial infection of some sort which it probably did treat.
I realized that I most likely had a combination of PND causing a respiratory infection that is (now obvious) a bacterial caused malady. And yes, viral infections are not treatable with antibiotics, my doc wasn't sure what was ailing me so she didn't want to just prescribe antibiotics and send me home. I'm not a big fan of taking these antibiotics just because, so I appreciate the doc's efforts to see if my coughing would go away on it's own, but four days of serious hacking left me pretty beat up.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:36 PM

You are very lucky to have a Doc in SWWA.

Been without for 15 yrs, still short of reaching Medicare age, but getting closer.

Hope to survive until then.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:49 PM

240 posts, read 77,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You are very lucky to have a Doc in SWWA.

Been without for 15 yrs, still short of reaching Medicare age, but getting closer.

Hope to survive until then.
Hi StealthRabbit,

I'm curious about this .... is it that difficult to become a new patient for a PCD in Clark County ?

Wouldn't it become more difficult once reaching Medicare age for a PCD to accept you seeing that they really don't like the reimbursement structure to them ?

I lost my PCD due to him becoming a part of a concierge group and he wanted $2000 up front for the year. I may have seen him 4 times a year with a co-payment of $15.00 per visit, so for me that was a steep cliimb.

I am of Medicare age already so that can be a scary proposition as I come into the "needing more care" years of my life....

Thanks for all of your informative sharing here !

Old 03-22-2020, 08:06 PM

Don't know how easy? I'm Not eligible yet.

Most of my friends (over age65) have PCDs and they have not declared them to be hard to find. Kaiser and Peace Health is like a revolving door. Many MDs in USA leave their field due to increased workload and less reimbursement. I have a a lot of friends who 'almost' make it to age 65. 2 are passing away at the moment, they didn't make it to Healthcare age.

Wish I were in Thailand or Singapore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area