Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 06:59 PM

50 posts, read 70,908 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data Folks, recent WFH has me with the ability to "move where I can afford" now that I don't have to be tied to the office location.

Was scanning Pacific Northwest online and hit on Vancouver (as well as Salem if you've seen my other post... similar questions about Salem there).

Was wondering a few things, maybe folks know about?

Does the area ever flood? I notice the Willamette River runs through. Any areas to avoid because of that?

Is the area consider to be part of the "rain belt" the way folks speak of Seattle and the Pacific Northwest in general?

Also, is there a lot of agriculture, feed lots, etc. In the area that should be avoided?

Oh, and paper mills to avoid? I read that's an issue in places?

Also, where's the landfills and such. Seems Google maps isn't finding anything that looks like a fill to my eyes. (If that's factual, could be a good thing.)

All that said, budget is roughly $400K at max. $350K probably more realistic. No working partner, just me. I'm older. basically looking for a nice place to have a single family home and enjoy life a little on my off hours. Not looking for excitement, etc. Just as generally easy of a life as possible on a day-to-day basis.

Prefer to avoid anything that could be labeled "urban". And at the other extreme would prefer to avoid "industrial agriculture", feed lots, etc.

Of course would prefer to avoid the usual things folks worry about like high crime, etc.

Just looking for a nice area, with as few negatives as possible, within budget of course.

Your thoughts on the area and region?

Edit : Looking at Vancouver and Surrounding, say up to Ridgefield and out to Hockinson. Are there other suburbs and spots I should look at too?

Last edited by MaisonDeEtre; 05-31-2020 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 07:05 PM

220 posts, read 151,565 times
Vancouver rated best wfh place in US make sure you buy in South East Vancouver

Old 05-31-2020, 09:54 PM

467 posts, read 520,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrca View Post
Vancouver rated best wfh place in US make sure you buy in South East Vancouver
Respectively, SE Vancouver is nice, but I prefer Ridgefield. There are lots of areas that fit your criteria.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:32 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,601,018 times
I don't know what is your definition of "urban"

99% of Vancouver would probably qualify as "suburban". Only the immediate downtown area and new waterfront I would consider urban in that there are high-rise condos and apartments.

If you have kids and are concerned about school quality then that will tend to restrict your options. If schools are not an issue then really it doesn't much matter. The question is, how close do you want to be to shops, restaurants, services, that sort of thing. I really like having amenities nearby. We've done the live way out in the country thing and I get tired of driving everywhere all the time. Your mileage may vary.

But based on your criteria, I'd look in SE Vancouver, east of I-205 and south of Mill Plain. That's basically the Fishers Landing and Cascade Park neighborhoods. Here's an example: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...66649940_zpid/

You can find similar small houses in the $350-400k range scattered about the greater Vancouver area. It's just a question of how close or far you want to be from amenities. And what kind of neighborhood you want to live in.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,604 posts, read 57,568,971 times
Best place in Vancouver is just slightly OUTSIDE of Clark County (20 min North or East)

If Vancouver Centric...

my choices (YMMV)
1) Rent a historic home in Ft Vancouver National Trust (use your RE dollars in income tax free NV (commercial property) to pay your rent anywhere in world)
2) Overlooking Portland, close to Clark College and Library and swimming center... (The Heights / Dubois Park / Father Joesph
3) Overlooking Vancouver Lake, North Carter Park to Felida
4) Near East Costco (west Camas)

NOT Orchards / Cascade Park...(rentals / transient / crowded / urban version of suburbia) Some areas OK (few, but they are there)

Hint: working from home... a VIEW (and QUIET) is essential for your sanity. (Huge south facing windows AWAY from any trees )(shade = DARK in winter!!!, moss, mold, mildew, 'sick house', risk of 200' tall, 40,000# tree crashing through your bedroom, gutters full of needles, slimy house / rotted wood and paint).

Old 06-02-2020, 09:15 AM

39 posts, read 25,812 times
I will to high school in Silverton and college in Corvallis. If you are looking at Salem, look at little further west along 99W. Newberg, Dayton, and McMinnville. Also along 99W is Monmouth to the south. These all used to be small rural cities surrounded by agriculture, but all have become more suburban due to population growth being just a relatively short drive to Portland and/or Salem. Newberg, McMinnville, and Monmouth all have colleges.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:56 AM

77 posts, read 61,554 times
Also take a look at the Salmon Creek and Felida areas, which are north of the city of Vancouver but south of Ridgefield. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods with lots of amenities nearby.

Old 06-21-2020, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Best place in Vancouver is just slightly OUTSIDE of Clark County (20 min North or East)

Hint: working from home... a VIEW (and QUIET) is essential for your sanity. (Huge south facing windows AWAY from any trees )(shade = DARK in winter!!!, moss, mold, mildew, 'sick house', risk of 200' tall, 40,000# tree crashing through your bedroom, gutters full of needles, slimy house / rotted wood and paint).
This is what I'm looking for as well as a full-time remote worker (and maybe full-time schoolteacher for a while?). As cool as heavy tree coverage sounds these are things to definitely consider that I hadn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area